Modified atmosphere storage technique for the management of pulse beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis in Horse gram
Citation :- Modified atmosphere storage technique for the management of pulse beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis in Horse gram .Legume Research-An International Journal.2016.(39):474-478
The present study was aimed to investigate the effect of modified atmosphere with elevated levels of CO2 against pulse beetle, C. chinensis in stored horse gram. Seeds were artificially infested with C. chinensis and exposed to CO2 (30%, 40% and 50 %) and packed in air tight containers. Concentrations of 40% and 50% CO2 not only checked seed infestation but also checked the progeny production of pulse beetle and reduced the weight loss of seed compared to normal atmosphere. Storage of horse gram seeds in CO2 rich atmosphere also maintained seed quality without any detrimental effect on germination and seedling vigor up to six months of storage.
- Abdul-Baki, A.A. and Anderson, J.D. (1973). Vigor determination in soybean seeds by multiple criteria. Crop Science. 13: 630-633.
- Bailey, S.W. and Banks, H.J. (1975). The use of controlled atmospheres for the storage of grain. Proceedings of First International Working Conference on Stored Product Entomology. pp. 362-374.
- Bera, A., Sinha, S.N., Ashok Gaur and Srivastava, C. (2008). Effect of modified atmosphere storage on seed quality parameters of paddy. Seed Research. 36: 56-63.
- Bera, A., Sinha, S.N., Gaur, A. and Srivastava, C. (2007). Effect of carbon dioxide rich atmosphere on storage insects and fungi. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 77: 756-761.
- Bera, A., Sinha, S.N., Singhal, N.C., Pal, R.K. and Srivastava, C. (2004). Studies on carbon dioxide as wheat seed protectant against storage insects and its effect on seed quality stored under ambient conditions. Seed Science and Technology. 32: 159-169.
- Calderon, M. and Golan, B.R. (1990). Food Preservation by Modified Atmospheres, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Gujar, G. T. and Yadav, T.D. (1978). Feeding of Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) and Callosobruchus chinensis (Linn.) in greengram. Indian Journal of Entomology. 40: 108-112.
- International Seed Testing Association. (1999). International Rules for Seed Testing. Seed Science and Technology, Supplement Rules. 27: 25-30.
- Jayas, D.S. and Jeyamkondan, S. (2002). Modified atmosphere storage of grains, meats, fruits and vegetables. Biosystems Engineering. 82: 235-251.
- Novaro, S., Amos, T.G. and Williams, P. (1981). The effect of oxygen and carbondioxide gradients on the vertical dispersion of grain insects in wheat. Journal of Stored Products Research. 17: 101-107.
- Panse, V.G and Sukhatme, P.V. 1978. Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR, New Delhi. Rathi, S.S., Shah, N.G., Zambre, S.S., Kalbande, V.H. and Venkatesh, K.V. (2000). Respiration, absorption and germination of seeds in controlled atmosphere. Seed Science and Technology. 28: 341-348.
- Rathi, S.S., Shah, N.G., Zambre, S.S., Kalbande, V.H and Venkatesh, K.V. 2000. Respiration, sorption and germination of seeds in controlled atmosphere. Seed Science and Technology. 28: 341-348.
- Riudavates, J., Catane, C., Pons, M.J. and Gabarra, R. (2006). Response of eleven stored product pest species to modified atmospheres with high carbon dioxide concentrations. 9th International Working Conference on Stored Products Protection. pp. 578-585.
- Sharaf E.D.. A.A.A. 2000. Low oxygen atmospheres to disinfest faba bean from bruchidae. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Mansoura University. 25: 5483-5490.
- Shehata, S.A., Hashem, M.Y. and Abd El-Gawad, K.F. (2009). Effect of controlled atmosphere on quality of dry cowpea seeds. 4th Conference on Recent Technology in Agriculture.
- White, N.D.G. and Jayas, D.S. (1991). Control of insects and mites with carbon dioxide in wheat stored at cool temperatures in non airtight bins. Journal of Economic Entomology. 84: 1933-1942.
- White, N.D.G. and Jayas, D.S. (1993). Effectiveness of carbon dioxide in compressed gas or solid formulation for the control of insects and mites in stored wheat and barley. Phytoprotection. 74: 101-111.
- White, N.D.G. Jayas, D.S. and Sinha, R.N. (1990). Carbon dioxide as a control agent for the rusty grain beetle (Coleopteran: Cucujidae) in stored wheat. Journal of Economic Entomology. 83: 277-288.
- Yadav, S. and Mahla, J.C. (2002). Bio efficacy of carbon dioxide concentration and its exposure against khapra beetle in wheat grain. Indian Journal of Entomology. 64: 130-137.
- Yadava, N.D. and Vyas. N.L. (1994). Horse gram. In: Arid legumes, 64-75. Agrobotanical Publishers, India.