Heterosis and combining ability analysis in cytoplasmic genetic male sterility (CGMS) system of Pigeonpea height variants (Cajanus cajan L.)
Citation :- Heterosis and combining ability analysis in cytoplasmic genetic male sterility (CGMS) system of Pigeonpea height variants (Cajanus cajan L.) .Legume Research.2015.(38):717-725
In the present experiment four newly diversified cytoplasmic male sterile (CMS) height variants viz., Dwarf 30 cm, Dwarf 45 cm, Dwarf 60 cm and Dwarf 90 cm were crossed with twelve restorer lines at Pulses Research Unit, Dr. P.D.K.V., Akola. Analysis of variance for combining ability showed significant differences among the parents, hybrids, parents vs. crosses, line effects and line x tester interactions for all most all the traits with some exception for variance due to line. Tester AKPR-210 was found significant for all yield and yield contributing traits. Among the lines Dwarf 45 cm and Dwarf 60 cm were found good GCA effects for early flowering and maturity. Dwarf 45 cm x AKPR-344 and Dwarf 45 cm x AKPR-325 found significant over both checks PKV-TARA and AKT-8811 also showed highly significant SCA effects for grain yield per plant and yield contributing characters.
- Baskaran K. and Muthiah A.R..(2007) Studies on combining ability in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan(L.) Millsp.]. Legume Res. 30: 67-69.
- Bharate B.S., Wadikar P.B. and Ghodke M.K. (2011) Studies on combining ability for yield and its components of pigeonpea. Journal of Food Legume. 24: 148-149.
- FAOSTAT. (2010) http://faostat.fao.org
- Kandalkar V.S. (2005) Genetic analysis of early and medium duration pigeonpea [Cajanuscajan(L) Millsp.] crosses involving wilt resistant donor in F1 and F2 generation. Indian J. Genet. 65: 184-187.
- Kempthorne, O. (1957)An Introduction to Genetic Statistics, John Wiley and Son Inc. Newyork, Champman and Hall Ltd. London. pp: 468-470.
- Khorgade P.W., Wankhade R.R. and Satange I.V. (2000) Heterosis studies in pigeonpea hybrids based on male sterile lines. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 34: 168-171.
- KumarS. C. V., Sreelakshmi, Varma C. H. and Kishore P. (2009) Studies on combining ability and heterosis in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Legume Research, 32.
- Niranjan, S. K. D. F. F., Bantilan M. C. S., Joshi P. K. and Saxena K. B. (1998). Evaluating hybrid technology for pigeonpea. Pages 231-240 In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Joint Impact Assessment of NARS/ICRISAT Technologies for the Semi-Arid Tropics, held 2-4 December 1996 at ICRISAT Center, A P, India.
- Pandey, N. and Singh N. B. (2002) Hybrid vigor and combining ability in long duration pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L) Millsp] hybrids involving male sterile lines. Indian J. Genet. 62: 221-225.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1954) Statistical Methods for Research Workers, I.C.A.R., New Delhi.
- Phad D.S., Madrap L.A. and Dalvi V.A. (2007) Study of combining ability analysis in pigeonpea under different environments for yield contributing characters. Legume Res., 30: 123-127.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Green J.M. and Bisen, S.S. (1978). Genetic male sterility in pigeonpea. Crop Sci. 18: 304-362.
- Saxena K.B., Laxman Singh and Gupta M.D. (1990) Variation for natural out crossing in pigeonpea. Euphytica. 56: 143-148.
- Sekhar, M.R., Singh S.P., Mehra R. B. and Govil J. N. (2004) Combining ability and heterosis in early maturing pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan(L.) Millsp.] hybrids. Indian J. Genet. 64: 212-216.
- Sen S., Sur S.C. and Sengupta K. ((1966) Inheritance of dwarfness in pigeonpea.Zucter. 36:379-380.
- Shoba, D and Balan A. (2010) Heterosis in CMS/GMS based pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millisp.] hybrids. Agricultural Science Digest. 30: 32-36.
- Tuteja O.P., Malik B.P.S. and Singh V.P. (1989) Heterosis in pigeonpea and its possibilities for utilization. phytobreedon.
- 4: 54-58.
- Vaghela K.O., Desai R.T., Nizama J.R., Patel J.D. and Vishal Sharma.(2009) Combining ability analysis in pigeon pea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Legume Res.32: 274-277.