Management of pigeonpea sterility mosaic disease
Citation :- Management of pigeonpea sterility mosaic disease .Legume Research.2016.(39):648-650
Field experiments were conducted to ascertain the efficacy of leaf extracts from botanical species viz., Vitex negundo (10%), Psoralea corylifola (10 %), Winter Green oil 30 EC (2%) against Sterility Mosaic Disease (SMD) in pigeonpea under field conditions. Resistant inducing chemicals viz., 200 ppm Salicylic acid and acaricides viz ; 0 .1% Fenazaquin and 0. 2% Dicofol were also evaluated against SMD. Comprehensive analysis of data demonstrated that the two sprays of 0.1% Fenazaquin first at 30 days after sowing and second at 15 days after first spray recorded the lowest (8.8 per cent) SMD incidence as compared to 46.1 per cent in untreated control which accounted for the disease reduction of 80.9 per cent. Among the plant products tested, winter green oil 30 EC (2 %) was effective by recording 19.0 per cent SMD incidence with 58.7 per cent disease reduction. Fenazaquin (0 .1%) spray reduced the mite (Aceria cajani) population by 81.9 per cent followed by winter green oil 30 EC (2 %) with the population reduction of 72.3 per cent. Fenazaquin (0 .1%) spray also influenced to record the highest yield of 815 kg per ha as against 492 kg per ha in untreated plot and therefore, 0.1% Fenazaquin could be the best alternative for the management of SMD in pigeonpea under field conditions.
- Amit Kanadulna ., Janardan Singh and Rabindra Prasad.(2004). Acaricidal efficacy of some newer insecticides against Aceria cajani .In: Environment and Management. APH Publishiers.New Delhi.115-118
- Bhaskaran, K. and Muthiah. A.R (2005). Screening and inheritance pattern of sterility mosaic disease resistance in pigeonpea. Indian J. Pulses Res. 18: 124-126
- De,R. K.,Vishwa Dhar and Rathore,Y.S. (1995).Control of sterility mosaic of pigeonpea with insecticides and acaricides. Indian. J. Pulses Res. 9: 87- 89
- Dubey, S. C., Birendra Singh and Bahadur. P. (2007). Diseases of pulse crops and their ecofriendly management. In: Eco- friendly Management of Plant Diseases. Daya Publishing House.New Delhi, 23-35.
- Ghanekar, A. M., Sheila, V. K., Beniwal, S .P. S., Reddy, M. V. and Nene, Y. L. (1992). Sterility mosaic of pigeonpea. In: Plant diseases of international importance. Vol. I (Diseases of Cereals and Pulses), Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA, 415-428.
- Kannaiyan, J., Nene, Y.L., Reddy, M. V., Ryan, J. G. and Raju, T. N. (1984), Prevalence of pigeonpea diseases and crop losses in Asia, Africa and the America. Tropical Pest Management. 30: 62-71.
- Karthikeyan,G.,Sabitha Doraisamy., Rabindran,R and Ganapathy ,T. (2009). Evaluation of antiviral principles for the induction of systemic resistance in blackgram Vigna mungo against urdbean leaf crinkle virus. Arch. Pytopathology and Plant Protect. 42: 1172-1186
- Lavanya, N., Saravanakumar, D., Rajendran, L., Ramiah, M., Raguchander, T. and Samiyappan, R. (2009) Man- agement of sunflower necrosis virus through anti -viral substances. Arch Phytopathology Plant Protect. 42: 265-276.
- Liu,W.,Qiao,W.,Liu,Z.,Wang, X.,Jiang,R.,Li,S.,etal.(2013).Gaultheria:phyto- chemical and pharmacological characteristics. Molecules. 18: 12071–12108.
- Manjunatha, L., Ramappa, H. K., Vijaya Mahantesha, S. R., Byre Gowda, M., Rajappa P. V and Kavitha T .R. (2012). Management of Sterility Mosaic Disease (SMD) of pigeonpea. Plant Archives. 12: 1007-1012.
- Panse, V. G. and Sukhatme ,P.V. (1985).Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers.Fourth Enlarged Edition, ICAR Pub. New Delhi
- Park, S. W., Kaimoyo, E., Kumar, D., Mosher, S., and Klessig, D. F. (2007). Methyl salicylate is a critical mobile signal for plantsystemic acquired resistance. Science 318: 113–116.
- Singh, S.K ., Awasthi, L.P. Shyam Singh and Sharma N.K.2011.Protection of mungbean and urdbean crops against vector borne mungbean yellow mosaic virus through botanicals. Curr. Bot. 2: 08-11
- Singh, A. K and Rathi, Y.P.S. (1994). Nature of losses caused by sterility mosaic in pigeonpea. J Appl. Biol . 4: 35-37.
- Singh, A. K. and Rathi, Y. P. S.(1997). Epidemiology of vector of pigeonpea sterility mosaic virus. Indian J Virol . 13: 143-145.
- Vergnes,S., Ladouce, N., Foumier, S., Ferhout, H., Attia ,F and Dumas , B. 2014. Foliar treatments with Gaultheria procumbens essential oil induce defense responses and resistance against a fungal pathogen in Arabidopsis. Front Plant Sci. 5: 1-8