Eco-friendly management of wilt caused by fusarium oxysporum f.sp. Ciceri in chickpea
Citation :- Eco-friendly management of wilt caused by fusarium oxysporum f.sp. Ciceri in chickpea .Legume Research.2016.(39):129-134
Antagonistic potentiality of Trichoderma viride, T. harzianum and Pseudomonas fluorescens were evaluated against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. ciceri under in vivo conditions. The effect of organic amendments viz; farm yard manure, vermicompost and mustard cake on disease control potentiality of test antagonists against chickpea wilt and on population dynamics of the antagonists and pathogen in soil was also studied. Maximum inhibition of mycelial growth of F. o. f. sp. ciceri was recorded in presence of P. fluorescens (%) followed by T. harzianum (%) and T. viride (%). Seed treatment with P. fluorescens was more effective in suppressing the disease incidence as compared to T. harzianum and T. viride. The disease control efficacy and population dynamics of all the three test antagonists was enhanced in response to application of organic amendments. Among the three organic amendments tested, mustard cake was most effective in enhancing the disease control potentiality of these antagonists.
Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. ciceri
- Aghnoom, R.; Falahati, Rastegar, M. and Jafarpour, B. (1999). Comparison of chemical and biological control of cumin wilt (Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cumini) in laboratory and green house conditions. Indian J. Agril. Sci. 30: 619-630.
- Bora, L.C.; Das, B.C. and Das, M. (2000). Influence of microbial antagonists and soil amendments on bacterial wilt severity and yield of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). Indian J. Agril. Sci. 70: 390-392.
- Deshmukh, P.P. and Raut, J.G. (1992). Antagonism by Trichoderma spp. on five plant pathogenic fungi. New Agriculturist 3: 127-130.
- Diyora, P.K. and Khandar, R.R. (1995). Management of wilt of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) by organic amendments. J. Spices and Aromatic Crops. 4: 80-81.
- Gholve, V.M. and Kurundkar, B.P. (2002). Efficacy of Pseudomonas fluorescens isolates against wilt of pigeonpea. J. Maharashtra Agril. Univ. 27: 327-328.
- Godwin-Egein, M.I and Arinzae, A.E. (2001). Antagonism between Trichoderma harzianum Rifai and Fusarium oxysporum Schlecht emend Sny. & Hans. J. Mycol. Pl. Pathol. 31: 25-30.
- Haq, M.I.; Ahmed, R., Khan, S.M. and Javed, N. (2001). Use of different strains of Pseudomonas fluorescens alone and in combination to suppress chickpea wilt. Pakistan J. Phytopath. 13: 144-150.
- Inam, Ul.; Haq. M.I., Riaz, A., Khan, S.M. and Javed, N. (2001). Use of different strains of Pseudomonas fluorescens alone and in combination to suppress chickpea wilt. Pakistan J. Phytopath. 13: 144-150.
- Larkin, R.P. and Fravel, D.R. (1998). Efficacy of various fungal and bacterial biocontrol organisms for control of Fusarium wilt of tomato. Plant Dis. 82: 1022-1028.
- Mukhopadhyay, A.N.; Shrestha, S.M. and Mukherjee, P.K. 1992. Biological seed treatment for control of soil-borne plant pathogens. FAO Plant Prot. Bull. 40:100.
- Navas-Cortes, J.A.; Han, B. and Jimenez, D. (2000). Yield loss in chickpea in relation to development of Fusarium wilt epidemics. Phytopath. 90: 1269-1278.
- Paroda, R.S. and Chadha, K.L. (1996). 50 Years of Crop Science Research in India. ICAR, New Delhi, 287 pp.
- Patel, S.T. and Anahosur, K.H. (1998). Rhizosphere microflora of chickpea (Cicer arietinum) under irrigated conditions as influenced by various soil treatments. Karnataka J. Agril. Sci. 11: 394-398.
- Raghuchander, T.; Jayashree, K. and Samiyappan, R. (1997). Management of Fusarium wilt of banana using antagonistic microorganisms. J. Biological Control 11: 102-105.
- Ram Gopal. (2002). Studies on management of cumin wilt (Fusarium oxysporum (Schlecht) Snyd. and Hans. f. sp. cumini Prasad and Patel). M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner.
- Sheela, J.; Shivaprakasam, K. and Seetharaman, K. (1998). Effect of soil application of Pseudomonas fluorescens using different carriers on groundnut collor rot incidence. Madras Agri. J. 85: 191-192.
- Singh, R.S.;Singh, D. and Singh, H.V. (1997). Effect of fungal antagonists on the growth of chickpea plants and wilt caused by Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. ciceri. Plant Dis. Res. 12: 103-107.
- Skidmore, A.M. and Dickinson, C.H. (1976). Colony interactions and hyphal interference between Septoria nodorum and phylloplane fungi. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc. 66: 57-64.
- Srivastava, A.K. and Singh, R.B. (1991). Use of organic amendments against Fusarium solani and Meloidogyne incognita on Phaseolus vulgaris. New Agriculturist. 2: 63-64.