Critical period for weed control in field pea
Citation :- Critical period for weed control in field pea .Legume Research-An International Journal.2016.(39):86-90
Field studies were conducted during 2008-09 and 2009-10 at Hisar, India to assess the effect of weed competition on crop growth and yield of field pea. Weed density increased up to 60 days and then decreased at later stages of crop growth. Seed yield of field pea was decreased by 50% when weeds were allowed to compete for the entire season. The critical period for weed control was 21-63 days in year 1 and 20-70 days in year 2 to achieve 95% of weed-free yield. It is therefore concluded that, to minimize yield loss due to weed competition in field pea, weed control measures should be targeted to avoid weed competition between 20-70 days after sowing.
- Akhter, N., Rahman, M.M., Hasanuzzaman, M. and Nahar, K. (2009). Plant characters and seed yield of garden pea under different light intensity. Am.-Eur. J. Agron.2: 152–155.
- Harker, K.N., Blackshaw, R.E. and Clayton, G.W. (2001). Timing weeds removal in field pea (Pisum sativum). Weed Technology. 15: 277-283.
- Knezevic, S.Z., Evans, S.P., Blankenship, E.E.,Van Acker, R.C. and Lindquist, J.L. (2002). Critical period for weed control: the concept and data analysis. Weed Science50: 773-786.
- Kumar, A., Sharma, B.C., Nandan, B. and Sharma, K.P. (2009).Crop-weed competition in field pea under rainfed subtropical conditions of Kandi belt of Jammu. Indian J. of Weed Sci. 41(1&2) : 23-26.
- Mohler, C.L. (2001). Enhancing the competitive ability of crops. In M. Liebman, C. Mohler, and C. Stave reds. Ecological Management of Agricultural weeds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 269-321.
- Tepe, I., Erman, M., Yarcin, R. and Bukun, B. (2011).Critical period of weed control in chickpea under non-irrigated condition.Turk. J. Agric. For. 35 : 525-534.
- Tripathi, S.S., Singh, R., Singh, S. and Singh, R.K. (2001). Study on crop-weed competition in tendril pea (Pisum sativum L.) under Tarai of Uttaranchal. Indian J. of Weed Sci.33 (1&2) : 46-48.
- Vasilakoglou, Loannis and Kico Dhima (2012). Leafy and semi-leafless field pea competition with wild oat as affected by weed density. Field Crop Research. 126: 130-136.