Field evaluation of newer insecticide molecules and botanicals against pod borers of Red gram
Citation :- Field evaluation of newer insecticide molecules and botanicals against pod borers of Red gram.Legume Research-An International Journal.2015.(38):260-267
Field experiments were conducted during Kharif 2012 to evaluate the efficacy of newer insecticides and botanicals followed by Indoxacarb against pod borers infesting redgram variety CO 6. Among newer insecticides, the significant least incidence of Maruca vitrata was recorded in indoxacarb 15.8 EC @ 75 g a.i./ha (3.1 webbings/ 10 plants) and chlorantraniliprole 18.5 SC 30 g a.i./ha (3.9 webbings/ 10 plants). The minimum larval population of Helicoverpa armigera was recorded in chlorantraniliprole 18.5 SC @ 30 g a.i./ha (9.5 nos./ 10 plants) and indoxacarb 15.8 EC @ 73g a.i/ha (10.3 nos./ 10 plants). Low per cent podfly grain damage (11.7) was recorded in chlorantraniliprole 18.5 SC @ 30 g a.i./ha with the highest yield of 892.2 kg/ha in indoxacarb 15.8 EC @ 75g a.i/ha. Among botanicals and combination of botanicals and indoxacarb spray, least number of Maruca webbings, minimum Helicoverpa larval population (18.3), Helicoverpa pod damage (16.3%) were recorded in Neem soap (10g) followed by indoxacarb (0.5ml) (5.7/ 10 plants) with maximum yield of 732.9 kg/ha in Pongamia soap (10g) followed by indoxacarb (0.5ml).
- Akhauri, R.K. and Yadav, R.P. (1999). Management of spotted pod borer. Pestic. Res. J. 11: 26-31.
- Alabi, O.Y., Odebiyi, J.A. and Jackai, L.E.N. (2003). Field evaluation of cowpea cultivars (Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp.) for resistance to flower bud thrips (Megalurothrips sjostedti Trybom) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) Int. J. Pest Mgmt., 49: 287-291.
- Bhosale, B.B., Nishantha, K.M.D.W.P., Patinge, N.R. and Kadam, D.R. (2009). Comparative efficacy of microbial insecticide molecule E2Y45 against pod borer complex of pigeonpea. Pestology, 33: 38-42.
- Bhushan , S. and Nath, P. (2005). Effect of cropping pattern and ecofriendly insecticides on grain damage by insects in pigeonpea. J. Exp. Zool. India, 8: 175.
- Bottenberg, H. and Singh, B.B. (1996). Effect of neem leaf extract applied by broom method on cowpea pests and yield. Int. J. Trop. Pest Mgmt., 42: 207-209.
- Das Mahopatra, S. and Srivastava, C.P. (2002). Bioefficacy of chemical and biorational insecticides against incidence of legume pod borer, Maruca vitrata (Geyer) in short duration pigeonpea. Indian J. Plant Prot., 30: 22-25.
- Egho E.O. (2011). Evaluation of neem seed extract for the control of major field pests of cowpea [Vigna Unguiculata (L.) Walp] under calendar and monitored sprays. Adv. Environ. Biol., 5: 61-66.
- Egho, E.O and Ilondu, E.M. (2011). Seeds of Neem Tree (Azadirachta indica A. Juss)- promising biopesticide in the management of cowpea insect pests and grain yield in the early cropping season at Asaba and Abraka, delta state, Nigeria. J. Agric. Sci., 4: 181-189
- Gopali, J.B., Raju Teggelli, Mannur, D.M. and Yelshetty, S. (2010). Web-forming lepidopteran, Maruca vitrata (Geyer): an emerging and destructive pest in pigeonpea. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci., 23: 35-38
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research (2nd ed.). John Wiley & Sons, New York, 680p.
- Hannig, G.T., Ziegler, M. and Macron, P.G. (2009). Feeding cessation effects of chlorantraniliprole, a new anthranilic diamide insecticide, in comparison with several insecticides in distinct chemical classes and mode of action groups. Pest Mgmt. Sci., 65: 12-16.
- Jackai, L.E.N. and Oyediran, I.O. (1991). The potential of neem, Azadirachta indica A. Juss. for controlling post-flowering pests of cowpea, Vigna unguiculata Walp. I. The pod borer, Maruca testulalis. Insect Sci. Applic., 12: 103-109
- Jackai, L.E.N., Inang, E.E. and Nwobi, P. (1992). The potential for controlling post-flowering pests of cowpea, Vigna unguiculata Walp. using neem Azadirachta indica A. Juss. Trop. Pest Mgmt., 38: 56-60.
- Kranthi, K.R., Jadhav, D.R., Kranthi, S., Wanjari, R., Ali, S.S. and Russell, D.A. (2002). Insecticide resistance in five major insect pests of cotton in India. Crop Prot., 21: 449–460.
- Kunal Shan and Anuj Agarwal. (2009). India Agricultural Review: Ghana- 2009-2010.
- Kumar, A. and Nath, P. (2003). Field efficacy of insecticides against pod bug (Clavigrella gibbosa) and pod fly (Melanagromyza obtusa) infesting pigeonpea. Ann. Plant Prot. Sci., 11: 31–34.
- Lal, S.S. and Yadava, C.P. (1988). Efficacy of certain insecticides against pod borers infesting pigeonpea. Pesticides, 22: 30-35.
- Moudgal, R.K., Lakra, R.K., Dahiya, B. and Dhillon, M.K. (2007). Physico-chemical traits of Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. pod wall affecting Melanagromyza obtusa (Malloch) damage. Euphytica, 161: 429-36.
- Naresh, J.S. and Jaipal Singh. 1984. Population dynamics and damage of insect pests in flowering pigeonpea. Indian J. Entomol. 46: 412-420.
- Packiam, S.M., Baskar, K. and Ignacimuthu, S. (2012). Ovicidal activity of botanical oil formulations against Helicoverpa armigera Hubner and Spodoptera litura Fabricius (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Asian Pacif. J. Trop. Biomed., 1241-1244.
- Rabindra, R.J., Ballali, C.R. and Ramanujan, B. (2004). Biological options for insect pests and nematode management in pulses. In: Masood-Ali, Singh, B.B., Shivkumar and Vishwadhar (eds.), Pulses in New Perspective. Indian Society of Pulses Research and Development, Kanpur, India, pp.400-425.
- Sadwarte, A.K. and Sarode, S.V. (1997). Efficacy of neem seed kernel extract, cow dung and cow-urine alone and in combination against the pod borer complex of pigeonpea. Int. Chickpea Pigeonpea Newsl., 4: 36-37.
- Shanower, T.G., Romeis, J. and Minja, E.M. (1999). Insect pests of pigeonpea and their management. Annu. Rev. Entomol., 44: 77–96.
- Sharma, O.P., Bhosle, B.B., Kamble, K.R., Bhede, B.V. and Seeras, N.R. 2011. Management of pigeonpea pod borers with special reference to pod fly (Melanagromyza obtusa). Indian J. Agric. Sci., 81: 539-543
- Sonune, V.R., Bharodia, R.K., Jethva, D.M., Rathod, R.T. and Deshmukh, S.G. (2010). Field efficacy of chemical insecticides against spotted pod borer, Maruca vitrata (Fabricius) infesting blackgram. Legume Res., 33: 287 – 290.
- Srihari, B. and Patnaik, N.C. 2006. Use of new insecticides against Maruca vitrata (Geyer) in blackgram. Ann. Biol., 22: 169-172
- Srinivasan, G. and Philip Sridhar, R. 2008. Field efficacy of plant products against spotted pod borer, Maruca vitrata (Geyer) in pigeonpea. Legume Res., 31: 48-50.
- Subharani, S. and Singh, T.K. (2007). Influence of meteorological factors on population dynamics of pod fly, Melanagromyza obtusa Malloch (Diptera: Agromyzidae) in pigeonpea under agro-climatic conditions of Manipur. Indian J. Entomol., 69: 78-80.
- Suhas, Y., Sidde-Gowda, D.K. and Patil, B.V. (1999). Efficacy of Indoxacarb (Avaunt 15% SC) against pigeonpea pod borer Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner). Pestology, 11: 60-64.
- Sunitha, V. (2006). Varietal screening and insecticidal evaluation against Maruca vitrata (Geyer) in pigeonpea. M.Sc. thesis,Â Â Â Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, 170p.
- Yadav, G.S. and Dahiya, B. (2004). Evaluation of new insecticides/ chemicals against pod borer and pod fly on pigeonpea. Ann. Biol., 20: 55-66.