Genetics, molecular dissection and identification of high yielding disease resistant lines to mymv in blackgram (Vigna mungo)
Citation :- Genetics, molecular dissection and identification of high yielding disease resistant lines to mymv in blackgram (Vigna mungo) .Legume Research-An International Journal.2015.(38):851-854
The productivity of blackgram is very low which is mainly due to losses caused by several biotic stresses. Among the biotic stresses mungbean yellow mosaic virus (MYMV) is the most serious disease on this crop with an estimated yield loss of 100% under severe conditions. In this context, study of genetics of resistance to MYMV needs major attention. In this paper, we reported genetics of the resistance to MYMV disease in blackgram using a F2 and F3 populations derived from a cross between the susceptible but agronomically superior parent TAU-1 and the resistant parent BDU-4. The parents, F1, F2, F3 populations were evaluated for MYMV resistance against the virus in artificial condition. The population size in F2 was three hundred. The results suggested that the MYMV resistance in blackgram is governed by a single dominant gene. Out of 610 SSR and RGA markers screened 24 were found to be polymorphic between two parents. Based on phenotyping in F2 and F3 generations nine high yielding disease resistant lines have been identified.
- Blair, M.W., Pedraza, F., Buendia, H.F., Gaitan-Solis, E., Beebe, S.E., Gepts, P. and Tohme, J. (2003) Development of genome- wide anchored microsatellite map for common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Theor Appl Gnet, 107: 1362-1374.
- Dahiya, B.S., Singh, K. and Brar, J. S. (1977) Incorporation of resistance to mungbean yellow mosaic virus in blackgram (Vigna mungo L.). Tropical Grain Legume Bull., 9: 28-32.
- Dwivedi, S. and Singh, D. P. (1985) Inheritance to yellow mosaic virus in a wide cross of blackgram. Zeitschrift fur Planzenzuchtung. 95: 281-284.
- Gaita, E., Solis, N., Duque, M.C. Edwards, K.J. and Tohme, J. (2002) Microsatellite repeats in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris): Isolation, characterization, and cross-species amplification in Phaseolus ssp. Crop Sci., 42: 2128-2136.
- Ghafoor, A., Ahmad, Z. and Sharif, A. (2000) Cluster analysis and correlation in blackgram germplasm, Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 3(5): 836-839.
- Gupta, S. K., Singh, R. A. and Chandra, S. (2005) Identification of a single dominant gene for resistance to mungbean yellow mosaic virus in blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper]. Sabrao J. Breed. Genet., 37(2): 85-89.
- Han, O.K., Kaga, A., Isemura, T., Wang, X.W., Tomooka, N. and Vaughan, D.A. (2005) A genetic linkage map for azuki bean [Vigna angularis (Willd.) Ohwi & Ohashi]. Theor, Appl. Genet. 111: 1288-1299.
- Honda, Y. and Ikegami, M. (1986) Mungbean yellow mosaic virus. AAB Descriptions of Plant Viruses, 323:324.
- Kaushal, R. P. and Singh, B. M. (1988) Inheritance of disease resistance in blackgram (Vigna mungo) to MYMV, Indian J. Agric. Sci. 58:123-124.
- Li, D.C., Fatokun, C.A., Ubi, B., Singh, B.B. and Scoles, G.J. (2001) Determining genetic similarity and relationship among cowpea breeding lines and cultivars by microsatellite merkers. Crop Sci, 41: 89-197.
- Mahinur S., Akkaya, Arvind A., Bhagawat and Perry B.C. (1992) Length polymorphisim of simple sequence repeat DNA in Soyabean, Geneticscc 132: 1131-1139.
- Martin Hudcovicova and Jan Kraic. (2003) Utilization of SSRs for characterization of the Soyabean (Glycine max (L.) Merr) Genetic resoruces, Czech J. Genet. Plant. Breed., 39: 120-126.
- Miyagi, M., Humphry, M.E., Ma E.Z.Y., Lambrides, E.C.J., Bateson, M. and Liu, E. C.J., (2004). Construction of bacterial artificial chromosome libraries and their application in developing PCR-based markers closely linked to a major locus conditioning bruchid resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). Theor. Appl. Genet. 110: 151-156.
- Nair, N. G. and Nene, Y. L. (1974) Studies on the yellow mosaic of urdbean (Phaseolus mungo L.) caused by Mungbean Yellow Mosaic: Factors influencing transmission and symptom expression, Indian J. Farm Sci. 2: 42-47.
- Nariani, T. K. (1960) Yellow mosaic of mungbean (Phaseolus aureus L.), Indian Phytopathology, 13: 24-29.
- Nene, Y. L., Srivastava, S. K. and Naresh. J. S. (1972) Evaluation of blackgram and greengram varieties and germplasm for resistance to yellow mosaic virus of greengram. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 42:251-254.
- Peakall, R., Gilmore, S., Keys, W., Morgantem M. and Antoni, R. (1998) Cross-species amplification of Soybean (Glycine max) Simple Sequence Repeats (SSRs) within the genus and other legume genera: Implications for the Transferability of SSRs in Plants. Mol. Biol. Evol., 15: 1275-1287.
- Prakit Somta, Chanida, A., Peter, A.C., Peerasa, S. (2007) Inheritance of seed resistance to bruchid in cultivated mungbeab (Vigna radiata, L. Wilczek). Euphytica. 155:47-55.
- Reddy, K. R. and Singh, D. P. (1995) Variation and transgressive segregation in wide and varietal crosses of mungbean. Madras Agric. J., 77: 12-14.
- Singh, A., Sirohi, A. and Panwar, K. S. (1998) Inheritance of mungbean yellow mosaic virus resistance in urdbean (Vigna mungo L.), Indian J. Virol. 14: 89-90.
- Singh, D. P. (1980) Inheritance of resistance to mungbean yellow mosaic virus in blackgram, Theor. Appl. Genet., 57: 233-235.
- Varma, A., Dhar, A. K. and Mandal, B. (1992) MYMV transmission and control in India. In: S.K. Green and Doo-Hwan Kim, eds, Proc. Int. Workshop, Bangkok, Thailand, July 2-3,1991. Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center, Shanhua, Taiwan. pp 8-27.
- Vavilov, N. I. (1926) Origin variation, immunity of cultivated plants (Translated by K. Starr chester). Chronica Botanica, 13: 364.
- Verma, R.P.S. and Singh, D.P. (1989). Inheritance of resistance to mungbean yellow mosaic virus in blackgram. Indian J. Genet., 49: 321-324.
- Wang, X.W., Kaga, A., Tomooka, N. and Vaughan, D.A. (2004). The development of SSR markers by a new method in plants and their application to gene flow studies in azuki bean (Vigna angularis (Willd.) Ohwi & Ohashi] Theor. Appl. Genet., 109: 352-360.
- Yu, K., Park, S.J., Poysa, V. and Gepts, P. (2000) Integration of simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers into molecular linkage map of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). J. Hered, 91: 429-434.