Effects of location and planting time on physicochemical and nutritional characteristics of soybean seed
Citation :- Effects of location and planting time on physicochemical and nutritional characteristics of soybean seed .Legume Research-An International Journal.2015.(38):810-815
In the present study, twenty soybean genotypes were grown at two different growing locations viz. Ludhiana and Gurdaspur in Punjab, India and planting times viz. June and July in the year 2010 with the objective to study the effect of growing environments on physical and biochemical characteristics of soybean genotypes. All the genotypes exhibited higher protein, total sugars and sucrose content while significantly lower mean seed weight, volume, swelling and hydration capacities in July planting than in June planting both at Ludhiana and Gurdaspur. Genotypic (G), Locational (L), Planting time (T), GxL and GxT variations were highly significant for these characteristics. The results reported here show that physical and nutritional characteristics of soybean seeds can be altered by different environmental conditions and this information can be useful to select soybean genotypes for large scale cultivation in Punjab state of northwestern India.
- An D., Arntfield S.D., Beta T. and Cenkowski S. (2010). Hydration properties of different varieties of Canadian field peas (Pisum sativum) from different locations. Food Res Int 43: 520-525.
- Bellaloui N., Reddy K.N., Gillen A.M., Fisher D.K. and Mengistu A. (2011). Influence of planting date on seed protein, oil, sugars, minerals, and nitrogen metabolism in soybean under irrigated and non-irrigated environments. Am J Plant Sci 2: 702-715.
- Dubois M, Gules K.A., Hamilton J.K., Roberts P.A. and Smith F (1956). Colorimetric method for the determination of sugars and related substances. Ann Chem 28: 350-356.
- Escribano M.R., Santalla M. and de Ron A.M. (1997). Genetic diversity in pod and seed quality traits of common bean populations from Northwestern Spain. Euphytica 93: 71-81.
- Ghafoor A., Arshad I.A. and Muhammad F. (2005). Stability and adaptability analysis in sunflower from eight locations in Pakistan. J Appl Sci 5: 118-121.
- Giami S.Y. (1997). Evaluation of selected food characteristics of three advanced lines of Nigerian soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.]. Plant Food Hum Nutr 50: 17-25.
- Goyal R., Sharma S. and Gill B.S. (2012). Variability in the nutrients, antinutrients and other bioactive compounds in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill] genotypes. J Food Legumes 25: 314-320.
- Kaur S., Gupta A.K. and Kaur N. (2005). Seed priming increases crop yield possibly by modulating enzymes of sucrose metabolism in chickpea. J Agron Crop Sci 191: 81-87.
- Khan A.Z. (2001). Influence of planting date and plant density on canopy temperature, seed development, seed quality and yield on soybean. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Kigel J. (1999). Culinary and nutritional quality of Phaseolus vulgaris seeds as affected by environmental factors. Biotechnol Agron Soc Environ 3: 205-209.
- Kumar V., Rani A., Goyal L., Dixit A.K., Manjaya J.G., Jai Dev and Swamy M. (2010). Sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) in soybean seeds as influenced by genotype and growing location. J Agric Food Chem 58: 5081-5085.
- Kumar V., Rani A., Solanki S. and Hussain S.M. (2006). Influence of growing environment on the biochemical composition and physical characteristics of soybean seed. J Food Comp Anal 19:188 195.
- Malik M.F.A., Ashraf M., Qureshi A.S. and Ghafoor A. (2007). Assessment of genetic variability, correlation and path analyses for yield and its components in soybean. Pakistan J Bot 39: 405-413.
- Mekonnen Z. and Mohammed H. (2010). Study on genotype x environment interaction of oil content in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.). World J Fungal Plant Biol 1: 15-20.
- Moosavi S.S., Mirhadi S.M.J., Imani A.A., Khaneghah A.M. and Moghanlou B.S. (2011). Study of effect of planting date on vegetative traits, reproductive traits and grain yield of soybean cultivars in cold region of Ardabil (Iran). Afr J Agric Res 6: 4879-4783.
- Nikolopoulou D., Grigorakis K., Stasini M., Alexis M.N. and Iliadis K. (2007). Differences in chemical composition of field pea (Pisum sativum) cultivars: Effect of cultivation area and year. Food Chem 103: 847-852.
- Oliveira M.I.P., Piovesan N.D., José I.C., Barros E.G., Moreira M.A. and Oliveira L.O. (2007). Protein, oil, and isoflavone contents in lipoxygenase- and kunitz trypsin inhibitor-deficient soybean seeds. Chromatographia 66: 521-527.
- Piper E.L. and Boote K.J. (1999). Temperature and cultivars effects on soybean seed oil and protein concentrations. J Am Oil Chem Soc 76 (10): 1233-1241.
- Poysa V. and Woodrow L. (2002). Stability of soybean seed composition and its effect on soymilk and tofu yield and quality. Food Res Int 35: 337-345.
- Primomo V.S., Falk D.E., Ablett G.R., Tanner J.W. and Rajcan I. (2002). Genotype x environment interactions, stability and agronomic performance of soybean with altered fatty acid profiles. Crop Sci 42: 37-44.
- Rennie B.D. and Tanner J.W. (1989). Fatty acid composition of oil from soybeans grown at extreme temperatures. J Am Oil Chem Soc 66: 1622-1624.
- Robinson D.S., Wu Z., Domoney C. and Casey R. (1995). Lipoxygenases and the quality of foods. Food Chem 54: 33-43.
- Rocha M.M., Vello N.A., Maia M.C.C. and Lopes A.C.A. (2002). Magnitude of genotype x environment interaction for oil content trait in soybean lines. Rev Bras Oleag Fib 6: 617-625.
- Roe J.H. (1934) A colorimetric method for the determination of fructose in blood and urine. J Biol Chem 1076:152.
- Santhan R.H. and Shivshankar G.C. (1978). Cooking characteristics of Horse gram. Ind J Agric Sci 48: 399-401.
- Schwender J., Ohlrogge J.B. and Shachar H.Y. (2003) A flux model of glycolysis and the oxidative pentose phosphate pathway in developing Brassica napus embryos. J Biol Chem 278: 29442-29453.
- Singh K.B., Williams P.C. and Nakoul H (1990). Influence of growing season, location and planting time on some quality parameters of kabuli chickpea. J Sci Food Agric 53: 429-434.
- Singh K.B., Erskine W, Robertson L.D., Nakkoul H and Williams P.C. (1988). Influence of pretreatment on cooking quality parameters of dry legumes. J Sci Food Agric 44: 135-142.
- Tahir M., Vandenberg A. and Chibbar R.N. (2011). Influence of environment on seed soluble carbohydrates in selected lentil cultivars. J. Food Comp Anal 24: 596-602.
- Tripathi A.K. and Misra A.K. (2005) Soybean- A consummate functional food: A review. J Food Sci Technol 42: 111-119.
- Vidal-Valverde C., Frias J., Hernandez A., Martin-Alvarez P.J., Sierra I. and Rodriguez C. (2003). Assessment of nutritional compounds and antinutritional factors in pea (Pisum sativum) seeds. J Sci Food Agric 83: 298-306.
- Wang N., Hatcher D.W., Tyler R.T., Toews R. and Gawalko E.J. (2010). Effect of cooking on the composition of beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) and chickpeas (Cicer arietinum L.). Food Res Int 43: 589-594.