Multivariate analysis in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] to identify the genetic donors for pubescence and agro-morphological traits
Citation :- Multivariate analysis in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] to identify the genetic donors for pubescence and agro-morphological traits .Legume Research.2015.(38):767-771
The present investigation was conducted with 36 genotypes of mungbean on 26 agro-morphological traits including seed yield and pubescence traits to access the degree of divergence for mungbean improvement during zaid 2012. These mungbean genotypes were grouped into seven clusters. Cluster IV comprised of 14 genotypes, forming the largest cluster followed by cluster VI comprised eight genotypes, cluster I comprised seven genotypes and cluster II comprised four genotypes. Three clusters viz., cluster III, V & VII formed mono genotypic cluster. All the pubescence traits contributed towards total divergence. Among the agro-morphological traits, high contribution towards total divergence was recorded for beak length, average intermodal length, primary branch angle with main stem, biological yield, seed yield and pods per cluster, indicated the possibility of selection of parent(s) for hybridization to manipulate the targeted trait(s) for mungbean improvement.
- Abna, F., Golam, F. and Bhassu, S. (2012). Estimation of genetic diversity of mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) in Malaysian tropical environment. Afr. J. Microbio. Res., 6: 1770-1775.
- Aliyu, B., Ng, N.Q. and Fawole, I. (2000). Inheritance of pubescence in crosses between cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Waip] and V. rhomboidea Burtt. Davy. Nig. J. Genetics., 15: 9-14.
- Arunachalam, V. (1981). Genetic distance in plant. Indian J. Genet., 41: 226-236.
- Baskaran, L., Sundaramoorthy, P., Chidambarama, L.A. and Ganesh, K.S. (2009). Growth and physiological activity of greengram (Vigna radiata L.) under effluent stress. Bot. Res. Int., 2: 107-114.
- Dwevedi, K.K. and Gaibrial, M.L. (2009). Assessment of genetic diversity of cultivated chickpea. Asian J. Agric. Sci., 1: 7-8.
- Dwivedi, S. and Singh D.P. (1986). Inheritance of pod pubescence and seed coat colour in urdbean. Crop Improve., 13: 54-57.
- Elden, T.C., Elgin, J.H., Soper, J. and Soper, J.F. (1986). Inheritance of pubescence in selected clones of alfalfa population and relationship to potato leafhopper resistance. Crop Sci., 26: 1143-1146.
- Fatokun, C.A. and Singh, B.B. (2001). Improving cowpea cereals system in the dry savannas. Annual Report, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, pp 79.
- Gunashige, U.B., Irwin M.E. and Campmeier, G.E. (1988). Soybean leaf pubescence affects aphid vector transmission and field spread of soybean mosaic virus. Annals Appl. Bio., 112: 259-272.
- Lal, D., Krishna, R. and Singh, G. (2001). Genetic divergence in field pea. Indian J. Pulse Res., 14: 63-64.
- Lavanya, G.R., Srivastava, J. and Ranade, S.A. (2008). Molecular assessment of genetic diversity in mung bean germplasm. J. Genet., 87: 65-74.
- Mahalanobis, P.C. (1936). On the generalised distance in statistics. Proceedings of the National Institute of Sciences of India. 2: 49–55.
- Mohammadi, S. (2003). Analysis of genetic diversity in crop plants-salient statistical tools and considerations. Crop Sci., 43: 1235.
- Mohammed, M.S., Russom, Z. and Abdul, S.D. (2010). Inheritance of hairiness and pod shattering, heritability and correlation studies in crosses between cultivated cowpea [Vigna ungiculata (L.) Walp.] and its wild (var. pubescens) relative. Euphytica, 171: 397-407.
- Mudasir, S., Sofi1, P.A., Khan, M.N., Sofi, N.R. and Dar, Z.A. (2012). Genetic diversity, variability and character association in local common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) germplasm of Kashmir. Electro. J. Plant Breed., 3: 883-891 .
- Parameshwarappa, K. G., Kumar, B. V. A. and Neelima, S. 2009. Heterosis in relation to genetic divergence in parental lines of sunflower. J. Oilseeds Res., 26(2): 89-93.
- Piyada, T., Juthamas, T., Thongchai, P., Thanawit, T., Chutamas, P., Worapa, S. and Thitiporn, M. (2010). Variety identification and genetic relationships of mungbean and blackgram in Thailand based on morphological characters and ISSR analysis. Afr. J. Biotech., 9: 4452-4464.
- Rao, C.R. (1952). Advance Statistical Method in Biometrical Research. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York.
- Yoshida, Fordo, S.D., Cock, J. and Gomez, K. (1972). Laboratory Manual for Physiological Studies of Rice. 3rd Eds. International Rice Research Institute, Philippines.