STUDIES ON COMBINING ABILITY FOR GRAIN YIELD AND COMPONENT TRAITS IN KHARIF URDBEAN
Citation :- STUDIES ON COMBINING ABILITY FOR GRAIN YIELD AND COMPONENT TRAITS IN KHARIF URDBEAN.Legume Research.2014.(37):575-579
Combining ability studies were carried out through line x tester analysis involving six lines and three testers for ten quantitative traits in kharif urdbean. The relative estimates of variance due to specific combining ability (sca) were higher than variance due to general combining ability (gca) for days to maturity, plant height and number of pods per plant indicating the pre-dominance of non-additive gene action for these traits. The parents Mash 479 and KUG 489 were good general combiners for days to flowering, days to maturity and number of pods per plant. The cross ‘Mash 479 x Mash 1008’ exhibited significant positive sca effects for number of pods per plant, grain yield per plant and harvest index (%) alongwith high per se performance. The crosses; KUG 216 x Pant U 19, KUG 489 x Mash 338 and Mash 114 x Mash 1008 recorded highly significant sca effects as well as high per se performance for number of pods per plant. These crosses could be further exploited to obtain transgressive segregants in the breeding programme.
Line x tester analysis
- Barad, H.R., Pithia, M.S. and Vachhani, J.H. (2008). Heterosis and combining ability studies for economic traits in genetically diverse lines of mungbean. Legume Research, 31 (1): 68-71.
- Baradhan, G. and Thangavel, P. (2011). Gene action and combining ability for yield and other quantitative traits in blackgram. Plant archives, 11(1): 267-270.Griffing, B. (1956). Concepts of general and specific combining ability in relation to diallel crossing systems. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 9: 436-493.
- Jinks, J.L. and Jones, R.M. ( 1958).Estimation of components of heterosis. Genetica 43: 223-234.
- Kaushik, L.S., Singh, D.P. and Paroda, R.S. (1984). Line x tester analysis for fixed effect model in cotton. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 68 (6) : 487-491.
- Singh, M. Sharma, S.K. and Chahota, R.K. ( 2003). Heterosis in urdbean ( Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper). Crop Research, 26 (1) : 131-134.
- Singh, Mohar. (2008). Genetic analysis for growth related traits in blackgram under two cropping systems. Indian Jour. of Agri. Sci., 78(7) : 643-645.
- Solh, Mahmoud.(2009).Global partnership in eradicating hunger and malnutrition of resource poor farmers in non- tropical dry areas. In: International Conference on Grain Legumes,held at IIPR,Kanpur,Feb14-16,Invited paper,Abstract,I-2,pp1.