Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Molecular cloning of an S-adenosylmethionine synthase gene from pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) and its expression analysis under arbuscular mycorrhizae fungi colonization and drought stress
First Online 03-03-2017|
An S-adenosylmethionine synthase (SAMS) gene associated with the drought responsiveness was isolated and characterized from pigeon pea. It was designated CcSAMS and contained an open reading frame of 1,182 bp, which encoded 394 amino acid residues. Sequence analysis of the cloned cDNA showed 94% identity with SAMS from other plant species, suggesting that this gene was considerably conserved in plants. Gene expression analysis demonstrated that CcSAMS was highly expressed in the leaves of AM-colonized plants, irrespective of exposure to either drought or drought-free. Rather, the expression levels of AM plants were significantly higher than that of NAM plants as subjected to drought stress. Therefore, AM symbiosis might enhance the expression of CcSAMS, and the elevated tolerance of AM- colonized pigeon pea to drought-stress was at least partially ascribed to the overexpression of SAMS gene.
- Arraes, F.B.M., Beneventi, M.A., de Sa, M.E.L., Paixao, J.F.R., Albuquerque, E.V.S., Marin, S.R.R., Purgatto, E., Nepomuceno, A.L. and Grossi-de-Sa, M.F. (2015). Implications of ethylene biosynthesis and signaling in soybean drought stress tolerance. BMC Plant Biol, 15: 1.
- Cantoni, G.L. (1953). S-adenosylmethionine: a new intermediate formed enzymatically from L-methionine and adenosine triphosphate. J BIOL CHEM 204: 403-416.
- Gill, S.S. and Tuteja, N. (2010). Polyamines and abiotic stress tolerance in plants. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 5: 26-33.
- Gupta, K., Dey, A. and Gupta, B. (2013). Plant polyamines in abiotic stress responses. Acta Physiol Plant, 35: 2015-2036.
- Kong, Y., Fu, Y.J., Zu, Y.G., Chang, F.R., Chen, Y.H., Liu, X.L., Stelten, J. and Schiebel, H.M. (2010). Cajanuslactone, a new coumarin with anti-bacterial activity from pigeon pea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.] leaves. Food Chem, 121: 1150-1155.
- Li, H.Y., Wang, T.Y., Shi, Y.S., Fu, J.J., Song, Y.C., Wang, G.Y. and Li, Y. (2007). Isolation and characterization of induced genes under drought stress at the flowering stage in maize (Zea mays) Full Length Research Paper. DNA Sequence, 18: 445-460.
- Li, X.D., Xia, B., Wang, R., Xu, S., Jiang, Y.M., Yu, F.B. and Peng, F. (2013). Molecular cloning and characterization of S- adenosylmethionine synthetase gene from Lycoris radiata. Mol Biol Rep, 40: 1255-1263.
- Otieno, Z., Okello, J., Nyikal, R., Mwang’ombe, A. and Clavel, D. (2011). The role of varietal traits in the adoption of improved dryland crop varieties: The case of pigeon pea in Kenya. Afr J Agric res, 6: 176-193.
- Parniske, M. (2008). Arbuscular mycorrhiza: the mother of plant root endosymbioses. Nat Rev Microbiol, 6: 763-775.
- Qi, Y.C., Wang, F.F., Zhang, H. and Liu, W.Q. (2010). Overexpression of suadea salsa S-adenosylmethionine synthetase gene promotes salt tolerance in transgenic tobacco. Acta Physiol Plant, 32: 263-269.
- Qiao, G., Wen, X. P., Yu, L.F. and Ji, X.B. (2011). The enhancement of drought tolerance for pigeon pea inoculated by arbuscular mycorrhizae fungi. Plant Soil Environ, 57: 541-546.
- Qiao, G., Wen, X., Yu, L. and Ji, X. (2012). Identification of differentially expressed genes preferably related to drought response in pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) inoculated by arbuscular mycorrhizae fungi (AMF). Acta Physiol Plant, 34: 1711-1721.
- Safarnejad, A. (2008). Morphological and biochemical response to osmotic stress in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Park J Bot, 40: 735-746.
- Sodabeh, J.G., Zahra, S. and Elnaz, R.N. (2013). Analysis of bioinformatical S-adenosylmethionine Synthetase and cold- regulated (COR) proteins in Wheat under cold stress. Global J Technol, 1.
- Thompson, J.D., Gibson, T.J., Plewniak, F., Eanmougin, F. and Higgins, D.G. (1997). The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res, 25: 4876-4882.
- Wen, X.P. and Moriguchi, T. (2015). Role of polyamines in stress response. In: Kanayama Y. Abiotic Stress Biology in Horticultural Plants. [Kochetov A eds] Springer. Pp. 1-37.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.