Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Analysis of morphological characters inter-relationships in the germplasm of mungbean [Vigna radiate (L.) Wilezek] in the hot arid climate
First Online |
The 38 indigenous and exotic accessions of mungbean were evaluated in a randomized complete block design with three replicates during summer and kharif seasons of fragile climate of Rajasthan to estimate the presence of genetic variability, inter-characters associations, to identify a suitable short duration accession for cultivation during summer and to compare the relative performance of the genotypes in two seasons. The high degree of genetic variability was estimated during both seasons for seed yield per plant (g), 100-seed weight (g.), number of seeds per pod, number of pods per plant, number of pods per cluster, number of branches per plant, number of clusters per plant, plant height (cm.), number of days to 50% flowering and number of days to maturity. The moderate to high heritabilities coupled with moderate to high expected genetic advance were observed for all studied traits. Number of seeds per pod, number of pods per plant, number of pods per cluster, number of clusters per plant, days to 50% flowering and days to maturity had positive and significant correlations with seed yield per plant. The accession IC 39289-P4 had been identified to be of short duration of 50 days. The accessions PLG 62, EC 520035, IC 305291, IC 39383, IC 39333, IC 39403 during summer season and EC 511379, PLM-14, IC 324021, EC 511371, IC 370497 during kharif seasonexhibited superiority in terms of seed yield over best check.
- Arshad, M., Aslam, M. and Irshad M. (2009). Genetic variability and character association among morphological traits of mungbean genotypes. J. Agric. Res,. 47(2):367-70.
- Aslam, M., Ajmal, S.U. (2002). Genetic variability and character association of yield componentsin mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Pak. J. Arid Agric.,5(2):69-72.
- Dikshit, H.K., Singh, B.B., Dua, R.P. (2002).Genetic variation in mungbean. Indian J. Pulse. Res., 15(2):125-127.
- Empig, L.T., Lantican, R.M. and Escuro, P.B. (1970). Heritability estimates of quantitative characters inmungbean [Vignaradiata(L.) Wilczek].Crop Sci., 10:240-241.
- Imrie, B.C., Butler, K.L. (2005). An analysis of variability and genotype environment interaction in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.)] in southeastern Queensland. Australian J. Agric. Res.,33:523–30.
- Kumar, R., Kant, R. and Ojha, C.B.(2004). Character association and cause of effect analysis forspring season genotypes of mungbean. Legume Res., 27:32-36.
- Rahim, M.A., Mia, A.A. Mahmud, F., Zeba, N. and Afrin, K.S. (2010). Genetic variability character association and genetic divergence in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek)]. Plant Omics Journal, 3(1): 1-6.
- Rahman, M.M. and Hussain. (2003). Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in mungbean.Asian J. Plant Sci., 2(17):1209-1211.
- Siddique, M. (2006).Genetic divergence, association and performance evaluation of different genotypes of mungbean. Inter. J. Agric. Bio., 8(6):793-795.
- Singh, R.K. and Chaudhry, B.D. (1985). Biometrical methods inquantitative genetic analysis. Kalyani Pub.Ludhiana, New Delhi, India.
- Srivastava, R.L. and Singh, G. (2012). Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek)].Ind. J.L. Sci., 2(1): 61-65.
- Verma, P.and Garg, D.K.(2001). Estimation of genetic parameters among a set of mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.)Wilczek] genotypes.Annals of Agri. Res., 2(4):334-337.
- Vyas, G.D. and Chauhan, G.S. (1994). Estimates of variability, heritability and correlation for yieldand its components in mungbean genotypes (Vigna radiata (L.) (Wilczek]. J. Indian Bot.Soc.,73(6):125-126.
- Yaqoob, M. (1995). Study of induced genetic variability,correlation co-efficient and path co-efficient analysis in mungbean (Vigna radiate L) PhD Thesis,to Sindh Agric, Univ. Tando jam.
- Yaqoob, M., Malik, A.J., Malik, B.A., Khan, H.U. and Nawab K. (1997). Path coefficient analysis in some mungbean genotypes under rainfed conditions. Sarhad J. Agric., 13(2):129-133.
- Yimram, T., Somta, P. and Srinivas, P. (2009). Genetic variation in cultivated mungbean germplasm and its implication in breeding for high yield. J. Agro., 112:260-266.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.