Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Study on the taxonomy status of alfalfa with cream flowers
First Online 16-12-2016|
Alfalfa with cream flowers is differentiable and genetically stable; however, describing it in scientific research is difficult and ambiguous because of its taxonomical status. This research attempts to delimit the taxonomical status of 14 accessions, including Medicago sativa ssp. sativa, alfalfa with cream flowers, Medicago sativa ssp. falcata and Medicago ruthinica L., using morphology, chromosome karyotypes and inter simple sequence repeat (ISSR) markers. From morphology and the ISSR-PCR analysis, three accessions of M. ruthenica L. were clustered into an independent group, and the remaining 11 accessions were clustered into three groups apparently based on flower color. Alfalfa with cream flowers had its own remarkable chromosome karyotype. The genetic distance between alfalfa with cream flowers and M. sativa ssp. sativa was almost equal to that between M. sativa ssp. falcata and M. sativa ssp. sativa. In conclusion, alfalfa with cream flowers may be an independent population just like M. sativa ssp. falcate, representing a subspecies of M. sativa ssp. according to certain taxonomic principles.
- AYSENIHAL GÖMÜRGEN, CAHIT DOGAN, EDIBE ÖZMEN, BIROL BASER AND HASIM ALTINÖZLÜ (2011). Chromosome number, karyotype analysis and pollen morphology of TURKISH ENDEMIC TORDYLIUM ELEGANS (BOISS. & BAL.) ALAVA & HUB.-MOR. (APIACEAE). Pak. J. Bot., 43: 1803–1807.
- Barnes, D.K.( 1972). A system for visually classifying alfalfa flower color. Agric. Handbook No. 424.
- Bernadette Julier, Christian Huyghe, Christian Ecalle (2000). Within- and Among cultivar Genetic Variation in Alfalfaÿ Forage Quality, Morphology, and Yield. Crop Sci. 40: 365–369
- Charles R. Gunn, Skrdla, W. H. and Spencer, H.C. (1978). Classification of Medicago Sativa L. using Legume characters and flower colors. Dept. of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service.
- DeSalle, R., Egan, M.G., Siddall, M. (2005). The unholy trinity: taxonomy, species delimitation and DNA barcoding. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B, 360: 1905–1916.
- Doyle, J. J., Doyle, J. L. (1989). Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus life technologies 12: 1.
- Editorial Committee of Flora of China, CAS. (1998). Flora of China, 42: 312.
- Edwards, E. E., Russell, H. H. (1938) .Wendelin Grimm and Alfalfa. Eighty-ninth annual meeting of the Minnesota Historical Society, pp21-35
- Falconer D.S. (1983). Introduction to Quantitative Genetic. 2nd.Edn. Longman, Inc., New York.
- Flajoulot S, Ronfort J, Baudouin P, Barre P, Huguet T, Huyghe C, Julier B. (2005). Genetic diversity among alfalfa (Medicago sativa) cultivars coming from a breeding program, using SSR markers. Theor Appl Genet, 111:1420-1429
- Feng Yu, Lei Yunting, Li Yuan, Dou Quanwen, Wang Haiqing, Chen Zhiguo. (2013). Cloning and characterization of chromosomal markers in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Theor Appl Genet, 126:1885–1896.
- Fengping Wuÿ2008. Preliminary research on individual growth and quality characteristics of Alfalfa with white flower. Thesis for Masters Degree Northwest A& F University.
- Villalobos Federico, Valerio Alejandro A. and Retana Axel P.. (2004). A phylogeny of howler monkeys (Cebidae: Alouatta) based on mitochondrial, chromosomal and morphological data. Rev. biol. Trop, 52:665-675.
- Gakgroglu Muhammet (2009). Population structure, genetic diversity, phylogenetic analyses, and association mapping of biofuel traits in wild diploid Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa L.) accessions. Doctoral dissertation from The University of Georgia.
- Guixing Yan (2001). Chromosomes study in forage plant in Chinese grassland. Inner Mongolia people’s Publishing House
- Hongyan Li, Zongli Wang (2007). Descriptors and data standard for Medic (Medicago Linn.) China Agricuture Press.
- Jacqueline Batley, David Edwards. (2009). Mining for SNPs and SSRs using SNP Server, dbSNP and SSR Taxonomy Tree. Methods in Molecular Biology, 537:303-321.
- Lesins Karlis (1956). Somatic flower color mutations in alfalfa. J Hered, 47: 171–179.
- Lingqing Yu, Anling Gu (2010). Descriptors and Data Standard for Medic. (Medicago ruthenica L.). China Agricuture Press
- Lapiòa Lita, Dace Grauda, Isaak Rashal (2011). Characterization of Latvian alfalfa Medicago Sativa genetic resources. Acta Biol. Univ. Daugavp. 11: 134–140.
- Touil L., Guesmi F., Fares K., Zagrouba C. and Ferchichi. (2009). Mineral composition and genetic variability of some mediteranean population of the cultivated Alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) supported by morphological markers. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences 8: 1–10.
- Mehmet Macit ERTUS, Cafer Olcayto Sabanci, Suat sensoy, Ercis Myo (2014). The determination of molecular diversity among some Alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) Ecotypes Using RAPD Markers. Yyu J Agric, 24: 7–15.
- Maryam Rashidi, Mohsen Farshadfar, Hooshmand Safari and Hooman Shirvani (2013). Utility of ISSR molecule marker in examine of genetic diversity 17 genotypes of perennial alfalfa (Medicago sativa). J Nov. Appl Sci., 2: 969–973.
- Quiros, C.F. and G.R. Bauchan. (1988). The genus Medicago and the origin of the Medicago sativa complex, p. 93–124, In A. A. Hanson, et al., eds. Alfalfa and alfalfa improvement. ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Semagn K (2002). Genetic relationships among ten endod types as revealed by a combination of morphological, RAPD and AFLP markers. Heredity 137: 149–156.
- Sinskaya, E.N. (1961). Flora of cultivated plants of the U.S.S.R. XIII Perennial Leguminous. National Science Foundation, Washington D.C.
- Sulieman A. Al-Faifi, Hussein M. Migdadi, Abedallah Al-doss, Megahed H. Ammar, Ehab H. El-Harty, Muhammad Altaf. Khan, Javed Matlob Muhammad, and Salem S. Alghamdi (2013). Morphological and molecular genetic variability analyses of Saudi lucerne (Medicago sativa L.) landraces. Crop & Pasture Science, 64: 137–146.
- Suranto (2002). The early application of electrophoresis of protein in higher plant taxonomy. Biodiversitas 3: 257–262.
- Tahernezhad Z, Zamani MJ, Solouki M, Zahravi M, Imamjomeh AA, Jafaraghaei M, Bihamta MR (2010). Genetic diversity of Iranian Aegilops tauschii Coss. using micro-satellite molecular markers and morphological traits. Molecular Biology Reports 37: 3413–3420.
- Tanja P.Vasic,Vojislav R.Trkulja, Bojan. M. Rajèevic, Sanja P. Živkovic, Snežana Z. Angelkovic, Jordan P. Markovic (2011). Molecular and morphological determination of colletotrichum trifolii isolates originating from Alfalfa. Proc. Nat. Sci, Matica Srpska Novi Sad, No. 120: 197– 204.
- Vincenzo Viscosi and Andrea Cardini. Leaf Morphology, Taxonomy and Geometric Morphometrics: A Simplified Protocol for Beginners. PLoS One. 2011.
- Wafaa Kamal Taia, 2005. Modern Trends in Plant Taxonomy. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 4: 184–206.
- Westgate J.M. (1909). Another explanation of the hardiness of Grimm Alfalfa. Science. 8: 184–186.
- Yun Jingfeng, Mi Fugui,Yang Qingchuan, ZhangYunwe (2004). Forage Breeding Techonology. Chemical Industry Press
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.