Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Soluble sugars and myo-inositol phosphates during germination and seedling growth of green and white faba bean (Vicia faba L.)
First Online 06-09-2016|
The soluble sugar and myo-inositol phosphates in the cotyledons and embryo axis during germination and seedling growth of green and white faba beans, were studied with an objective to analyze the precise distribution of these compounds in the different parts of faba bean seeds. In green and white faba beans the raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFO) for establishing their nutritional relevance, were estimated mainly in the cotyledons which were drastically reduced within 2 days after imbibition (DAI). During germination and seedling growth phytates content was reduced in cotyledon (20–23%) and embryo axis (83–90%).
- Chitra, U., Singh, U. and Rao, P. V. (1996). Phytic acid, in vitro protein digestibility, dietary fiber, and minerals of pulses as influenced by processing methods. Plant. Foods. for Hum. Nutri., 49:307-316.
- Corchete, M. P. and Guerra, H. (1987). a-and b-galactosidase activities during germination of lentil seeds. Plant. Phy. Bio., 25:105-109.
- Crans, D. C., Mikus, M. and Friehauf, R. B. (1995). Phytate metabolism in bean seedlings during post-germinative growth. J. Plant. Phy., 145:101-107.
- Cruz, R. and Da Silva, L. (1986). Soybean (Glycine max) endogenous alpha-galactosidase and invertase during the germinative process. Arquivos. de Biologýa. e Tecnologia., 29:435-443.
- Dey, P. M. (1985). D-Galactose-containing Oligosaccharides., Academic Press, London.184-189
- Greiner, R. and Konietzny, U. (2006). Phytase for food application. Food. Tech. Bio., 44:125-140.
- Greiner, R., Larsson, A. M., Carlsson, N. G., Muzquiz, M., Burbano, C., Cuadrado, C., Pedrosa, M. M. and Goyoaga, C. (2002). Pathway of dephosphorylation of myoinositol haxakisphosphate by phytases of legume seeds. J. Agri.Food. Chem., 50:6865-6870.
- Juana, F., Rosa, D., Jaime, R. and Concepcion, V. V. (2003). Inositol phosphate degradation by the action of phytase enzyme in legume seeds. Food. Chem., 81:233-239.
- Koster, K. L. and Leopold, A. C. (1988). Sugars and desiccation tolerance in seeds. Plant. Phy., 88:829-832.
- Kozlowska, H., Honke, J., Sadowska, J., Frias, J. and Vidal-Valverde, C. (1996). Natural fermentation of lentils: Influence of time, concentration and temperature on the kinetics of hydrolysis of inositol phosphates. J.Sci.Food. Agri., 71:367-375.
- Kuo, T. M., Vanmiddlesworth, J. F., and Wolf, W. J. (1988). Content of raffinose oligosaccharides and sucrose in various plant seeds. J. Agri. Food. Chem., 36:32-36.
- Loewus, F. A. and Murthy, P. P. N. (2000). Myo-inositol metabolism in plants. Plant. Sci., 150: 1-19.
- Luo, Y. W., Gu, Z. X., Han, Y. H. and Chen, Z. G. (2009a). The impact of processing on phytic acid, in vitro soluble iron and Phy/Fe molar ratio of faba bean(Vicia faba L.). J.Sci. Food.Agri., 89:861-866.
- Luo, Y. W., Xie, W. H, Xie, C. Y, Li, Y. and Gu, Z. X. (2009b). Impact ofsoaking and phytase treatments on phytic acid, calcium, iron and zincin faba bean fractions, Inter. J. Food. Sci. Tech., 44: 2590-2597
- Luo, Y. W., Xie, W. H. and Luo, F. X. (2012). Effect of several germination treatments on phosphatase activities and degradation of phytate in faba bean (Vicia faba L.) and azuki bean (Vigna angularis L.). J. Food. Sci., 77:1023-1029.
- Martín-Cabrejas, M. A., Aguilera, Y., Pedrosa, M. M., Cuadrado, C., Hernandez, T., Diaz, S. and Esteban, R. M. (2009). The impact of dehydration process on antinutrients and protein digestibility of some legume flours, Food. Chem., 114: 1063-1068.
- Mitsuoka, T. (1996). Intestinal flora and human health. Asia. Paci. J. Cli. Nutri., 5:2-9.
- Muzquiz, M., Rey, C., Cuadrado, C. and Fenwick, G. R. 1992. Effect of germination on the oligosaccharide content of lupin species. J. Chroma., 607:349-352.
- Nnanna, I. A. and Phillips, R. D. (1988). Changes in oligosaccharide content, enzyme activities and dry matter during controlled germination of cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata). J. Food. Sci., 53:1782-1786.
- Oomah, B. D., Luc, G., Leprelle, C., Drover, J. C. G., Harrison, J. E. and Olson, M. (2011). Phenolics, phytic acid and phytase in Canadian-grown low-tannin faba bean (Vicia faba L.) genotypes. J. Agri. Food. Chem., 59:3763–3771.
- Pritchard, P. J., Dryburgh, E. A. and Wilson, B. J. (1973). Carbohydrates of spring and winterfield beans (Vicia faba L). J. Sci. Food. Agri., 24: 663–668.
- Sadana, B. and Chabra, C. (2004). Development and sensory evaluation of low-cost weaning food formulation. J. Hum. Eco.,16:133-136.
- Sangronis, E. and Machado, C. J. (2007). Influence of germination on the nutritional quality of Phaseolus vulgaris and Cajanus cajan. LWT-Food. Sci Tech., 40:116-120.
- Sturm, A. (1999). Invertases: Primary structures, functions, and roles in plant development and sucrose partitioning. Plant. Phy., 121:1-8.
- Ryszard, A. and Ronald, B. P. (2008). Legumes as a source of natural antioxidants. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Tech., 110: 865-878
- Tian, B., Xie, B., Shi, J., Wua, J., Cai, Y., Xu, T., Xue, S. and Deng, Q. (2009). Physicochemical changes of oat seeds during germination. Food. Chem., 119:1195-1200.
- Van Loo, H., Cummings, J., Delzenne, N., Englyst, H., Frank, A., Hopkins, M., Kok, N., Macfarlane, G., Newton, D., Quigley, M., Roberfroid, M., Van Vliet, T. and Van den Heuvel, E. (1999). Functional food properties of non- digestible oligosaccharides: a consensus report from the ENDO project (DGXII AIRII-CT94-1095). Bri.J. Nutri., 81:121-132.
- Vidal-Valverde, C., Frias, J., Sotomayor, C., Diaz-Pollan, C., Fernandez, M. and Urbano, G. (1998). Nutrients and antinutritional factors in faba beans as affected by processing. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch A., 207:140-145.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.