Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effects of Na2CO3 on seed germination, seed reserve utilization and seedling growth in bitter vetch (Vicia ervilia L.)
First Online 20-08-2016|
Alkalinity is one of the main limiting factors of seed germination in alkaline soils. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of Na2CO3 levels (0, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 mM) on seed germination, seed reserve utilization and seedling vigour of three local bitter vetch cultivars (Buinzahra, Shahreza and Tarom). The results indicated that increasing Na2CO3 concentrations caused a decrease in germination percentage (GP), germination rate (GR), seedling length, seedling dry weight (SLDW) and seed reserve utilization efficiency (SRUE). The rate of reduction in shoot length in comparison with the control in different concentrations of Na2CO3 was detected from Buinzahra as 30-92%, Shahreza 39-97% and Tarom 13-83%. Decrease in root length was more than shoot length in all the cultivars at each Na2CO3 level, as compared to the control. The weight of mobilized seed reserve (WMSR) and seed reserve depletion percentage (SRDP) decreased with increasing Na2CO3 levels up to 10 mM in Buinzahra and Tarom cultivars and up to 15 mM in Shahreza. WMSR and SRDP then rapidly raised with higher alkalinity levels. These results suggest that reduction of seed germination and decline in seedling dry weight in response to alkalinity stress is a consequence of decline in seed reserve utilization efficiency.
- Abdul Jaleel, C., Gopi, R., Sankar, B., Manivannan, P., Kishorekumar, A., Sridharan, R. and Panneerselvam, R. (2007). Studies on germination, seedling vigour, lipid peroxidation and proline metabolism in Catharanthus roseus seedlings under salt stress. S. Afr. J. Bot. 73:190–195.
- Ajmal Khan, M., Gul, B. and Weber, D. J. (2001). Influence of salinity and temperature on the germination of Kochia scoparia. Wetl. Ecol. Manag. 9:483–489.
- Brand, J. D., Tang, C. and Rathjen, A. J. (2002). Screening rough-seeded lupins (Lupinus pilosus Murr. and Lupinus atlanticus Glads.) for tolerance to calcareous soils. Plant Soil. 245:261–275.
- Campbell, S. A. and Nishio, J. N. (2000). Iron deficiency studies of sugar beet using an improved sodium bicarbonate- buffered hydroponics growth system. J. Plant Nutr. 23:741–757.
- Enneking, D. and Francis, C. M. (1997). Development of Vicia ervilia as a Grain Crop for Southern Australia. Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture (CLIMA). University of Western Australia, Nedlands, WA 6009. (Available online at: http://members.westnet.com.au/enneking/erv_97.htm)
- Gholami, A., Sharafi, S. and Abbasdokht, H. (2010). Effects of salinity and drought levels in seed germination of five crop species. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 68:788-791.
- Gholami, A., Sharafi, S., Ghasemi, S. and Sharafi, A. (2009). Pinto bean seed reserve utilization and seedling growth as affected by seed size, salinity and drought stress. J. Food Agric. Environ. 7:411-414.
- Ghoulam, C., Foursy, A. and Fares, K. (2002). Effects of salt stress on growth, inorganic ions and proline accumulation in relation to osmotic adjustment in five sugar beet cultivars. Environ. Exp. Bot. 47:39–50.
- Guan, B., Zhou, D., Zhang, H., Tian, Y., Japhet, W. and Wang, P. (2009). Germination responses of Medicago ruthenica seeds to salinity, alkalinity, and temperature. J. Arid Environ. 73:135–138.
- Guo, R., L. Shi, Ding, X., Hu, Y., Tian, S., Yan, D., Shao, S., Gao, Y., Liu, R. and Yang, Y. (2010). Effects of saline and alkaline stress on germination, seedling growth, and ion balance in wheat. Agron. J. 102:1252-1260.
- ICARDA. (2004). In: ICARDA annual report 2003. International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas, Aleppo, Syria. pp. 30-32
- Kaya, M. D. and Upek, A. (2003). Effects of different soil salinity levels on germination and seedling growth of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.). Turk. J. Agric. For. 27:221-227.
- Khajeh-Hosseini, M., Powell, A. A. and Bingham, I. J. (2003). The interaction between salinity stress and seed vigour during germination of soybean seeds. Seed Sci. Technol. 31:715–725.
- Lacerda, C., Cambraia, J., Oliva, M., Ruiz and Prisco, J. (2003). Solute accumulation and distribution during shoot and leaf development in two sorghum genotypes under salt stress, Environ. Exp. Bot. 49:107–120.
- Li, R. L., Shi, F. C. and Fukuda, K. (2010)a. Interactive effects of various salt and alkali stresses on growth, organic solutes, and cation accumulation in a halophyte Spartina alterniflora (Poaceae). Environ. Exp. Bot. 68:66–74.
- Li, R. L., Shi, F. C. and Fukuda, K. (2010)b. Interactive effects of salt and alkali stresses on seed germination, germination recovery, and seedling growth of a halophyte Spartina alterniflora (Poaceae). S. Afr. J. Bot. 76:380–387.
- Li, R., Shi, F., Fukuda, K. and Yang, Y. (2010). Effects of salt and alkali stresses on germination, growth, photosynthesis and ion accumulation in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 56:725–733.
- Lin, N. F. and Tang, J. (2005). Study on the environment evolution and the analysis of causes to land salinization and desertification in Songnen plain. Quaternary Sciences. 25:474-485. (in Chinese).
- Misra, N. and Dwivedi, U. N. (2004). Genotypic difference in salinity tolerance of green gram cultivars. Plant Sci. 166:1135–1142.
- Orlovsky, N. S., Japakova, U. N., Shulgina, I. and Volis, S. (2011). Comparative study of seed germination and growth of Kochia prostrata and Kochia scoparia (Chenopodiaceae) under salinity. J. Arid Environ. 75:532-537.
- Paz, H. and Martinez-Ramos, M. (2003). Seed mass and seedling performance within eight species of Psychotria (Rubiaceae). Ecology. 84:39–450.
- Rao, P. S., Mishra, B., Gupta, S. R. and Rathore, A. (2008). Reproductive stage tolerance to salinity and alkalinity stresses in rice genotypes. Plant Breeding. 127:256–261.
- Rozema, J. (1975). The inûuence of salinity, inundation and temperature on the germination of some halophytes and non- halophytes. Oecolog. Plantar. 10:341–353.
- Samarah, N., Allataifeh, N., Turk, M. A. and Tawaha, A. M. (2003). Effect of maturity stage on germination and dormancy of fresh and air-dried seeds of bitter vetch (Vicia ervilia L.). New Zeal. J. Agr. Res. 46:347-354.
- Sadeghi, G. H., Mohammadi, L., Ibrahýim, S. A. and Gruber, K. J. (2009). Use of bitter vetch (Vicia ervilia) as a feed ingredient for poultry. World Poultry Sci. J. 6:51-64.
- Sayyari, M. H. and Mahmoodi, S. (2002). An investigation on reason of soil salinity and alkalinity in some part of Khorasan Province (Dizbad-e-Pain Region). In Paper presented at the 17th World Congress of Soil Science (Symposium No. 33; Paper No. 1981), 14-21 August 2002, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Shi, D. and Sheng, Y. (2005). Effect of various salt–alkaline mixed stress conditions on sunflower seedlings and analysis of their stress factors. Environ. Exp. Bot. 54:8–21.
- Shi, D.C., Sheng, Y. M. and Zhao, K. F. (1998). Stress effects of mixed salts with various salinities on the seedlings of Aneurolepidium chinense. Acta Bot. Sin. 40:1136–1142. (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Shi, D. C. and Wang, D. L. (2005). Effects of various salt-alkaline mixed stresses on Aneurolepidium chinense (Trin.) Kitag. Plant Soil. 271:15–26.
- Soltani, A., Galeshi, S., Zeinali, E. and Latifi, N. (2002). Germination, seed reserve utilization and seedling growth of chickpea as affected by salinity and seed size. Seed Sci. Technol. 30:51–60.
- Soltani A, Gholipoor, M. and Zeinali, E. (2006). Seed reserve utilization and seedling growth of wheat as affected by drought and salinity. Environ. Exp. Bot. 55:195–200.
- Soltani, A., Zeinali, E., Galeshi, S. and Latifi, N. (2001). Genetic variation for and interrelationships among seed vigor traits in wheat from the Caspian Sea coast of Iran. Seed Sci. Technol. 29:653–662.
- Voigt, E. L., Almeida, T. D., Chagas, R. M., Ponte, Viegas, R. A. and Silveira, J. A. (2009). Source–sink regulation of cotyledonary reserve mobilization during cashew(Anacardium occidentale) seedling establishment under NaCl salinity. J. Plant Physiol. 166:80-89.
- Walters, M. B. and Reich, P. B. (2000). Seed size, nitrogen supply, and growth rate affects tree seedling survival in deep shade. Ecology. 81:1887–1901.
- Yang, C. W., Chong, J. N., Li, C. Y., Kim, C. M., Shi, D. C. and Wang, D. L. (2007): Osmotic adjustment and ion balance traits of an alkali resistant halophyte Kochia sieversiana during adaptation to salt and alkali conditions. Plant Soil. 294:263–276.
- Zhang, H., Irving, L. J., McGill, C., Matthew, C., Zhou, D. and Kemp, P. (2010). The effects of salinity and osmotic stress on barley germination rate: sodium as an osmotic regulator. Ann. Bot. 106:1027–1035.
- Zhang, H. and Zhao, Y. (2011). Effects of different neutral and alkaline salinities on seed germination and early seedling growth of maize (Zea mays L.). Afr. J. Agric. Res. 6:3515-3521.
- Zhanwu, G., Hui, Z., Jicai, G., Chunwul, Y., Chunsheng, M. and Deli, W. (2011). Germination responses of Alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) seeds to various salt–alkaline mixed stress. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 6:3793-3803.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.