ESTIMATION OF GROUNDNUT KERNEL AFLATOXINS BY HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY USING IMMUNOAFFINITY COLUMN CLEAN UP AND POST COLUMN PHOTOCHEMICAL DERIVATIZATION
Citation :- ESTIMATION OF GROUNDNUT KERNEL AFLATOXINS BY HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY USING IMMUNOAFFINITY COLUMN CLEAN UP AND POST COLUMN PHOTOCHEMICAL DERIVATIZATION.Legume Research.2011.(34):31 - 35
This study was carried out in order to quantify the aflatoxins with precision through High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) using Immunoaffinity column clean up, Post Column Photochemical Derivatization and flurescence detection. Standard aflatoxin peaks (G1, G2, B1, B2) obtained by the above HPLC unit were sharp without any disturbances in the chromatogram. Peanuts which were artificially inoculated with virulent strain of Aspergillus flavus and in healthy peanuts were tested for aflatoxin levels by HPLC. The aflatoxin B1 was 516 ppb in infected sample and was completely absent in healthy groundnut kernels. Aflatoxin B1 concentration estimated by Indirect Competitive ELISA method (523 ppb) is slightly higher than those detected by HPLC (516 ppb).
HPLC (High performance
- Cole, R.J. Doner, J.W. Kirtsay J W and Dowell F E (1998) Comparision of visual, ELISA screening and HPLC methods in detecting aflatoxin in farmers stock peanut grade samples. Peanut Science 15 (2): 61-63.
- Katiyar S., Dash B.C., Thaker V., Guptan R.C., Sarin S.K. and Das B.C. (2000) Tumor suppressor gene mutations in hepatocellular carcinoma patients in India. Cancer 88 (7):1565-1573.
- Reddy, DVR, Nambiar, PTC, Rajeswari R, Meham VK, Anjaiah V, Mc Donald D (1988) Potential of enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for detecting viruses, fungi, bacteria, mycoplasma like organisms, mycotoxins and hormones. Biotechnology in tropical crop improvement, in: proceedings of international biotechnology workshop, 12-15 January 1987, ICRISAT. Patencheru, pp 43-49.
- Reddy S.V., Kiran Mayi D., Umareddy M., Tirumala Devi K. and Reddy DVR (2001), Aflatoxins B1 in different grades of chilies (Capsicum annum L) in India as determined by indirect competitive ELISA.
- Stroke J, Anklam E, Jorissen U and Gilbert J (2000) Immunoaffinity column cleanup with liquid chromatography using post column bromination for determination of aflatoxins in peanut butter, pistachio paste, fig paste and paprika powder: collaborative study. J. AOAC Interna., 83 (2): 320 – 340.
- Waltking A.E. and Wilson D. (2006) liquid chromatographic analysis of aflatoxin using post – column photochemical derivitization: collaborative study J. AOAC Intern. 89 (3): 678 – 692.
- Wogan, GN (1999) Aflatoxin as a human carcinogen. Hepatology 30 92 0: 573-575.