ASSESSMENT OF GENETIC VARIABILITY AND CORRELATION OF IMPORTANT YIELD RELATED TRAITS IN CHICKPEA (Cicer arietinum L.)
Citation :- ASSESSMENT OF GENETIC VARIABILITY AND CORRELATION OF IMPORTANT YIELD RELATED TRAITS IN CHICKPEA (Cicer arietinum L.).Legume Research-An International Journal.2012.(35):341 - 344
Thirty chickpea genotypes were studied for seed yield and its components for estimating genetic variability and correlation co-efficient. Analysis of variance for seed yield and its component showed significant differences among the genotypes for all nine traits. Highly significant and positive genotypic association between primary branches/ plant and pods / plant, plant height and days to maturity, days to maturity and pods/ plant, seeds/ pod and days to 50% flowering, days to maturity and seed yield/ plant and similarly 100 seed weight and seed yield/ plant were found. Highly significant and negative genotypic correlation between primary branches/ plant and plant height; primary branches/ plant and plant width; primary branches/ plant and days to 50% flowering; primary branches/ plant and days to maturity; plant height and plant width; plant height and pods/ plant; seeds/ pod and 100 seed weight; days to 50% flowering and 100 seed weight were observed. The correlation between 100 seed weight and seed yield showed highest correlation coefficient 0.681**. This 100 seed weight may be an important criterion for seed yield improvement in chickpea.
- Bhardwaj, R.P. and Singh, I.B. (1972) Correlation studies in gram (Cicer arietinum L.).Indian-Agriculturist ,16:205-207.
- Burton, G.W. and Devane, E.M. (1953) Estimating heritability in tall festuca from replicated clonal material. Agron. J. 45: 478-481.
- Chowdhary , M.A. and Khan, M.A. (1974) Correlation studies in gram (Cicer arietinum L.). Pakistan J Agric.Sci., 11: 184-186.
- Dasgupta, T., Islam, M.O. and Gayen, P. (1992) Genetic variability and analysis of yield components in chickpea. Annals Agric.Res, 2: 157-160.
- Malik, S.R., Bakash, A., Asif ,M.A., Iqubal ,U. and Iqubal, S.M.(2010) Assessment of Genetic Variability and Interrelationship among Some Agronomic Traits in Chickpea. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 12: 81–85.
- Kaur ,A., Gupta, S.K. and Singh, K. (2004) Genetic Variability in desi chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under normal and late shown conditions. J. Res. Punjab Agric. Univ, 41: 425-428.
- Muhammad, A., Bakhsh, A., Zubair, M and Abdul, G. (2003) Genetic variability and correlation studies in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L). Pak .J. Bot, 35: 605-611.
- Ladizinsky, G. and Alder, A.(1976) Genetic relationship among the annual species of Cicer L. Theor. Appl. Genet, 48: 197–203.
- Narasimhaiah, A., Patil, M.S. and Hiremath, K.G. (1977) Genetic variability and correlation studies in (Cicer arietinum L.). Mysore J.Agric.Sci, 11 : 131-134.
- Narendra, S. (2004) Generation of genetic variability in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) using biparental mating. Indian J. Genet., 64: 327-328.
- Nimbalkar, R.D. (2000) Genetic variability and heritability studies and scope for improvement in chickpea. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ, 25:109-110.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P. V. (1969) Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. 4thedition. ICAR, New Delhi, 359.
- Rao, S.S., Sinha, R. and Das, G.K. (1994) Genetic variability, heritability, expected genetic advance and correlation studies in chickpea. Indian J. Pulses Res, 7: 25-27.
- Raval, L.J. and Dobriya, K.L. (2003) Yield components in improvement of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Annals Agric.Res, 24: 789-794.
- Sadhu, S.K. and Mandal, A.K. (1989) Genetic variability and character association in chickpea. Genetika-Beograd, 21: 135-139.
- Searle, N.Z. (1961) Phenotypic, genotypic and environmental correlations. Biometrics, 17: 474-480.
- Singh, K.B. and Ocampo, B. (1997) Exploitation of wild Cicer species for yield improvement in chickpea. Theor. Appl. Genet, 95: 418-423.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.C. (1967) Statistical Method. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi: 381-480.