POSSIBILITY OF EARLY GENERATION SELECTION IN SOYBEAN (GLYCINE MAX (L.) MERRILL)
Citation :- POSSIBILITY OF EARLY GENERATION SELECTION IN SOYBEAN (GLYCINE MAX (L.) MERRILL).Legume Research-An International Journal.2008.(31):218 - 220
The parent – offspring regression analysis was carried out on M2-M3 generations of mutant
populations of three soybean genotypes. Intergeneration correlation coefficients between M2 and M3 generations were not significant for seed yield. However, significant intergeneration correlations were observed for plant height, number of branches and number of pods in some of the populations. The heritability values in narrow sense were low for seed yield except in 0.4% EMS populations of JS 335 and Ankur; 10 kR gamma rays populations of Ankur and Local black soybean where moderate values were observed. However, it was moderate to high for 100 seed weight in most of the populations. It was concluded that heritability in narrow sense and intergeneration correlation should be used together to decide whether to exercise selection or not for a given trait
- Anand, S. C. and Torrie, J. H. (1963). Crop Sci., 3:508-511.
- Bhatnagar, P. S. et al. (1992). J. Oilseeds Res., 9 (2):312-313.
- Briggs, K. G. and Shebeski, L. H. (1971). Euphytica, 20:453-463.
- Knott, D. R. and Kumar, J. (1975). Crop Sci., 15:295-299.
- Mahmud, I. and Kramer, H.H. (1951). Agron. J., 43:605-609.
- Virupakshappa, K. (1982). Ph.D. Thesis, UAS, Bangalore, India.