GENETIC DIVERSITY IN POD CHARACTERS OF BLACKGRAM (VIGNA MUNGO L. HEPPER)
Citation :- GENETIC DIVERSITY IN POD CHARACTERS OF BLACKGRAM (VIGNA MUNGO L. HEPPER).Legume Research-An International Journal.2013.(36):220-223
Blackgram (Vigna mungo L. Hepper) is an important pulse crop, which is widely cultivated and consumed in India. Utilization of divergent parents in hybridization results in promising recombinants. Divergence analysis among fifty genotypes for pod characteristics was carried out using Mahalanobis D2 statistics. The genotypes were grouped into 10 clusters. The contribution of number of pods per plant was the maximum (25.71%) followed by pod length (21.63%). The maximum intercluster distance was observed between cluster I and X (D2 = 325.96). The maximum intracluster distance was reported in cluster I (D2 = 8.11). Based on cluster mean and divergence, it was concluded that the hybridization between genotypes in cluster I (P 9, P 133 and P 133/3) and X (P 133/83) could produce desirable recombinants for grain yield.
- Anonymous. (2011). Project Coordinator’s Report. AICRIP on MULLaRP. IIPR, Kanpur.
- Bhattacharya, A. and Vijaylaxmi. (2005). Genetic diversity in mungbean: phonological, physiological and yield forming traits. Legume Res., 28: 1-6.
- Ghafoor, A., A. Sharif, Z. Ahmed, M. A. Zahid and M. A. Rabbani. (2001). Genetic diversity in blackgram (Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper). Field Crops Res., 69:183-190.
- Kumar S, Gupta S, Chandra S and Singh BB. (2004). How wide is the genetic base of pulse crops, Pages 211-221. In: Pulses in New perspective (Ali M, Singh BB, Kumar S and Vishwa D, eds). Kanpur, India: Indian Society of pulses Research and Development.
- Mahalanobis, P.C. (1936). On the generalized distance in statistics. Proc. Natl. Acad. Inst. India. 12: 49-55.
- Murthy, B. R. and Arunachalam, V. (1966). The nature of genetic divergence in relation to breeding system in crop plants. Indian J. Genet., 26: 188-189.
- Rao, C.R. (1952). Advanced statistical methods in Biometrical Research.
- Shanthi, P., S. Jebaraj and N. Manivannan. (2006). Genetic diversity in urdbean (Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper) Legume Res., 29: 181-185.
- Venkatesan, M., N.Veeramani, Y.Anbuselvam and J.Ganesan. (2004). Correlation and path analysis in blackgram. (Vigna mungo L.). Legume Res., 27 (3): 197-200.