GENETIC STUDIES IN RELATION TO YIELD AND ITS COMPONENTS IN FIELD PEA (PISUM SATIVUM L.)
Citation :- GENETIC STUDIES IN RELATION TO YIELD AND ITS COMPONENTS IN FIELD PEA (PISUM SATIVUM L.).Legume Research-An International Journal.2013.(36):98-104
The experimental material comprised 21 hybrids generated by crossing seven diverse varieties of field pea (Pisum sativum L.) in diallel mating design. The set of 21 hybrids and parents were evaluated in randomized block design with three replications to study the gene action for yield and its attributing traits. The component analysis indicated preponderance of non-additive gene action in the inheritance of all the traits studied. The value of H2/4H1 was less than 0.25 for all the characters studied indicating the asymmetrical distribution of positive and negative alleles in the parents. The ratio (4DH1)0.5+F/(4DH1)0.5 –F was greater than unity for days to flowering, days to maturity, number of pods per plant, number of seeds per pod, seed yield per plant and harvest index indicating presence of excess of dominant genes in the parents. The graphical analysis indicated importance of partial dominance and positions of parental arrays in the graphs were scattered suggesting parental diversity for the various traits studied.
Degree of dominance
- Ceyhan, E. and Avci, M. A. (2005). Combining ability and heterosis for grain yield and some yield components in pea (Pisum sativum L.). Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 8 (10): 1447-1452.
- Griffing, B. (1956). Concept of general and specific combining ability in relation to a diallel crossing system. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 9: 463-493.
- Hayman, B.L. (1954a). The theory and analysis of diallel crosses. Genetics 39:789-809.
- Hayman, B. L. (1954b). The analysis of variance of diallel tables. Biometrics 10: 235-255.
- Iqbal, A.M., Nehvi, F. A., Wani, A. A., Qadri, W. H. and Alli, B. A. (2011). Genetic studies in relation to yield and quality traits in rajamsh. J. Food Legumes 24 (1): 54-57.
- Jinks, J.L. and Hayman, B.L. (1953). The analysis of diallel crosses. Maize Genetic Cooperation News Letter 27: 48-54.
- Kaul, D.K. and Vaid, K.L. (2003) Genetical studies in faba bean (Vicia faba L.). J. Res., (SKUAST-J) 2: 203-203.
- Kumar, S., Srivastava, R.L. and Singh, R. (2006). Combining ability for yield and its component traits in field pea. Indian J. Pulses Res. 19 (2): 173-175.
- Ram, B., Tikka, S.B.S. and Kakani, R.K. (2010). Genetic architecture of yield and its component traits in blackgram (Vigna mungo) grown under different environments. Indian J. Agri. Sci. 80: 312-315.
- Singh, H.C., Srivastava, R.L. and Singh, R. (2006). Additive, dominance and epistatic components of variation for some metric traits in field pea. Indian J. Pulses Res. 19: 170-172.
- Sofi, P., Rather, A.G. and Wani, S.A. (2006). Combining ability and gene action studies over environments in field pea (Pisum sativum L.). Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 9: 2689-2692.