Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
CHARACTERIZATION AND EVALUATION OF SOIL-SITE SUITABILITY FOR GROUNDNUT IN THE SOILS OF UBEN IRRIGATION COMMAND AREA OF SAURASHTRA REGION IN GUJARAT
for soil-site suitability for groundnut in the soils of Uben Irrigation Command Area of
Saurashtra region in Gujarat. All the soils were found dominance of clay (26.4 to 39.8
per cent) and finer in texture. The soils were found clay loam to clayey in texture. The
soils are moderately alkaline reaction and calcareous in nature. The soils were found
low in available nitrogen, medium in phosphorus and high in potash content. The soils
of Vertic Calciustepts [Minor-1, Bava Pipalia (P1) and Minor-4, Arabtimbadi (P2)], Vertic
Haplustepts [Minor-6, Arabtimbadi (P3)] and Lithic Ustorthents [RBMC, Pipalva (P4)]
and Typic Haplustepts (Minor-9, Chowki(P5) are moderately suitable (S2) for groundnut
cultivation. The soil-site characteristics such as drainage, texture and soil fertility
appeared to be most striking factors influencing the crop response.
- Bhaskar, B.P. and Nagaraju, M.S.S. (1998). J.Indian Soc. Soil Sci., 46: 416
- FAO, (1976). A Framework of Land Evaluation, Soils Bull., 32, FAO, Rome.
- Gundalia, J.D. and Savalia, S.G. (2000). GAU, National Symposium held at Gujarat Agricultural university., Junagadh
- Invitee paper Vol.I: 35-44.
- NBSS and LUP (1994). Proc. National Meet on Soil-site Suitability Criteria for Different Crops. held at NBSS and
- LUP (ICAR), Feb. 7-8, 1994, New Delhi.
- Richards, L.A. (1954). Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils. USDA Hand Book No. 60. Government
- Printing Office, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Road, A.T. and Protozo,Nr. (1971 ). Geoderma ,6: 23.
- Sehgal J.L. (1986). Introductory Pedology, Soil Genesis, Survey and Classification. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi.
- Singh, S.K. et al (1999). J.Indian Soc. Soil Sci., 47(2):315-322.
- Sys, I.C et al, (1991). Land evaluation, Part II and III. Methods in Land Evaluation. Agric. Publ. General administration
- for development co-operation place, de, camp de mars, 5 btc, 57-1050, Brussels, Belgium.
- Publ. General administration for development co-operation place, de, camp de mars, 5 btc, 57-1050, Brussels, Belgium.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.