Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Serological data of bovine herpes virus type-1 and bovine viral diarrhea virus infections in various ruminants in small-scale farms in the Central and Eastern Black Sea Region, Turkey
First Online 29-07-2017|
Bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) and Bovine herpes virus type-1 (BHV-1) are economically important pathogens leading to critical health problems for widespread ruminant populations worldwide. This study was conducted in order to update the seroprevalence of both viruses in non-vaccinated ruminant breeding enterprises in the Black Sea Region of Turkey. Blood samples (n=1.025) were collected from 192 small-scale farms and were screened using a virus neutralization test. Overall percentages of BVDV and BHV-1 were 19.90 % and 13.56 %, respectively. All goat and cattle enterprises were seropositive for BVDV. Single and dual virus infections rates were 24.87 % and 5.26 % respectively. The Black Sea Region of Turkey has a great number of small-sized ruminant farms and the results confirmed that BVDV and BHV-1 viruses were still in circulation and a wide range of large and small ruminants were exposed to both viruses.
- Albayrak, H., Okur-Gumusova, S. and Yazici, Z. (2007). Seroprevalence to bovine herpesvirus type 1 in sheep in Turkey. Vet. Arhiv., 77:257-263.
- Albayrak, H., Ozan, E., Kadi, H., Çavunt, A. and Tamer, C. (2016). Seroprevalance of pestivirus in some goat breeds in Samsun Provinces. Ataturk Univ. Vet. Bil. Derg., 11:1-5.
- Aslan, M.E., Azkur, A.K. and Gazyagci, S.(2015).Epidemiology and genetic characterization of BVDV, BHV-1, BHV-4 and Brucella spp infection in cattle in Turkey. J.Vet.Med.Sci., 77:1371-1377.
- Broaddus, C., Holyoak, G.R., Dawson, L., Step, D.L., Funk, R.A. and Kapil, S.(2007). Transmission of bovine viral diarrhea virus to adult goats from persistentþy infected cattle .J.Vet.Diag.Invest., 19:545-547.
- Chamorro, M.F., Walz, P.H., Haines, D.M., Passler, T., Earleywine, T., Palomares, R.A., Riddell K, P., Galik, P., Zhang, Y. and Givens, M.D.(2014). Comparison of level and duration of detection of antibodies to bovine viral diarrhea virus 1, bovine viral diarrhea virus 2, bovine respiratory syncytial virus, bovine herpesvirus, and bovine parainfluenza virus 3 in calves fed maternal colostrum of a colostrum-replacement product. Can.J.Vet.Res.78:81-88.
- Koseman, A. and Seker. I. (2015). Current status of Cattle, sheep and goat breeding in Turkey.Van Vet. J., 26:111-117.
- Mahmoud, M.A. and Ahmed, S.A.(2009).Prevalence of Bovine Herpesvirus-1 in Sheep and goats in Egypt. Global Vet., 3:472-479.
- Okur-Gumusova, S., Yazici, Z., Albayrak, H. and Cakiroglu, D. (2007). Seroprevalence of bovine viral respiratory diseases. Acta Vet (Beograd).,57:11-16.
- Patil, S.S., Prajapati, A., Krishnamoorthy, P., Desai, G.S., Reddy, G.B.M., Suresh, K.P. and Rahman, H.(2017). Seroprevalence of infectious bovine rhinotracheitis in organizeddairy farms of India. Indian J.Anim.Res., 51:151-154
- Raizman, A.E., Pogranichniy, R., Negron, M., Schnur, M. and Tobar-Lopez, D.E. (2011). Seroprevalence of infectious bovine rhinotracheitis and bovine viral diarrhea virus type 1 and type 2 in non-vaccinated cattle herds in the Pasific Region of Central Costa Rica.Trop.Anim. Health.Prod., 43:773-778.
- Shirvani, E., Lotfi, M., Kamalzadeh, M., Noaman, V., Bahriari, M., Morovati, H. and Hatami A. (2012). Seroepidemiological study of bovine respiratory viruses (BRSV, BoHV-1, PI-3V, BVDV, and BAV-3) in dairy cattle in central region of Iran (Esfahan province).Trop.Anim. Health.Prod., 44:191-195.
- Tutuncu, H, and Yazici, Z. (2016). Screening for persistently infected cattle with bovine viral diarrhea virus(BVDV) in small-scale family farms located in Samsun province, Northern Turkey. JAPS., 26:291-293.
- Yazici, Z., Albayrak, H., Ozan, E. and Gumusova, S. (2015). Serological status of bovine herpes virus type 1 in cattle in small scale private farms in the Central Black Sea Region, Turkey. Pak.Vet.J., 35:101-102.
- Yesilbag, K., Förster, C., Bank-Wolf, B., Yilmaz, Z., Alkan, F., Ozkul, A., Burgu, I., Rosales,S.C., Thie,l H.J. and Konig M. (2008). Genetic heterogeneity of bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) isolates from Turkey:Identification of a new subgroup in BVDV-1. Vet.Microbiol.,130:258-267.
- Yesilbag, K. and Güngor, B. (2009). Antibody prevalence against respiratory viruses in sheep and goats in North-Western Turkey.Trop. Anim.Heallth.Prod., 41:421–425.
- Yilmaz, M. (2015). Changes of Rural Population in Turkey And its Distribution By Provinces (1980-2012). Eastern Geog.Rev., 33:161-168.
- Yilmaz., V.(2016). Prevalence of antibodies to Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVDV) in blood and milk serum in dairy cattle in Kars district of Turkey. Indian J.Anim.Res., 50: 811-815
- Yilmaz, V.,Coskun, N. and Sahin, M.(2016). Molecular detection of Bovine Herpes Virus-1 (BoHV-1), Bovine Herpes Virus-4 (BoHV- 4) and Bovine Viral Diarrhoea Virus (BVDV) in aborted ruminant fetuses from Kars province in Northeast Turkey Indian J.Anim.Res., 50:551-556.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.