Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Variations in carcass yield and meat sensory quality attributes between turkeys (meleagris gallopavo) reared in free-range and confinement rearing systems
First Online 06-09-2017|
- Aberle, E. D. Forrest, J. C. Gerrard, D. E. and Mills, E. W. (2001). Principles of Meat Science. 4thed. Kendall/Hunt Publ.
- Allen, C. D. Fletcher, D. L. Northcutt, J. K. and Russell, S. M. (1998). The relationship of broiler breast color to meat quality and shelf- life. Poult Sci. 77: 361-366.
- AOAC and Latimer, G. W. (2006). Official methods of analysis of AOAC international. W. Horwitz (Ed.). AOAC International.
- AOAC. (1990). Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Cavitt, L. C. Youm, G. W. Meullenet, J. F. Wens, C. M. and Xiong, R. (2004). Prediction of poultry meat tenderness using razor blade shear, Allo-Kramer shear, and sarcomere length. J Food Sci. 69: 11-12.
- Chen, X. Jiang, W. Tan, H. Z. Xu, G. F. Zhang, X. B. Wei, S. and Wang, X. Q. (2013). Effects of outdoor access on growth performance, carcass composition, and meat characteristics of broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 92: 435-443.
- Duclos, M. J. Berri, C. and Le Bihan-Duval, E. (2007). Muscle growth and meat quality. J Appl Poult Res. 16: 107-112.
- Fanatico, A. C. Cavitt, L. C. Pillai, P. B. Emmert, J. L. and Owens, C. M. (2005). Evaluation of slow-growing broiler genotypes grown with and without outdoor access: Meat quality. Poult Sci. 84: 1785-1790.
- Fanatico, A. C. Cavitt, L. C. Pillai, P. B. Emmert, J. L. and Owens, C. M. (2007). Meat quality of slow and fast-growing chicken genotypes fed low-nutrient or standard diets and raised indoors or with outdoor access. Poult Sci. 86: 2245-2255.
- Fanatico, A. C. Pillai, P. B. Cavitt, L. C. Emmert, J. L. Meullenet, J. F. and Owens, C. M. (2006). Evaluation of slower-growing broiler genotypes grown with and without outdoor access: Sensory attributes. Poult Sci. 85: 337-343.
- Farmer, L. J. Perry, G. C. Lewis, P. D. Nute, G. R. Piggot, J. R. and Patterson, R. L. P. (1997). Responses of two genotypes of chicken to the diets and stocking densities of conventional UK and Label Rouge production systems-II. Sensory attributes. Meat Sci. 47: 77-93.
- Gordon, S. H. and D. R. Charles (2002). Niche and Organic Chicken Products. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, UK.
- Irfan, Arshad, J. Muhammad, A. Athar, M. Muhammad, A. Shahid, M. and Muhammad A. Y. (2016). Effect of varying levels of dietary protein on growth and relationship of egg weight with egg quality parameters in Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo). Indian J Anim Res. DOI:10.18805/ijar.11171
- Jones, M. and Millis, A. D. (1999). Divergent selection for social reinstatement and behaviors in Japanese quail: Effects on sociality and social discrimination. Poult Avian Biol Rev. 10: 213-223.
- Latter-Dubois. (2000). Poulets Fermiers: Leurs Qualite´s Nutritionnelle et Organoleptiques et la Perception du Consommateur. M.S. Faculte´ des Sciences de l’Agriculture et de L’Alimentation. Univ. Laval, Quebec, Canada.
- Lewis, P. D. and Gous, M. R. (2006). Effect of final photoperiod and twenty-week body weight on sexual maturity and early egg production in broiler breeders. Poult Sci. 85: 377-383.
- Lewis, P. D. Perry, G. C. Farmer, L. J. and Patterson, R. L. S. (1997). Responses of two genotypes of chicken to the diets and stocking densities typical of UK and “label roug” systems: I. Performance, behaviour and carcass composition. Meat Sci. 45: 501-516.
- Lonergan, S. M. Deeb, N. Fedlerand, C. A. and Lamont, S. J. (2003). Breast meat quality and composition in unique chicken populations. Poult Sci. 82: 1990-1994.
- Marin, R. H. Fretes, P. Gusmanand, D. and Rones, B. R. (2001). Effects of an acute stressor on fear and on the social reinstatement responses of domestic chicks to cage mates and strangers. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 71: 57-66.
- Meilgaard, M. Civille, G. V. and Carr, B. T. (2007). Overall difference tests: does a sensory difference exist between samples. Sensory evaluation techniques. 4: 63-104.
- Mendl, M. (1999). Performing under pressure: Stress and cognitive function. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 65: 221-224.
- Molette, C. Rémignon, H. and Babilé, R. (2003). Maintaining muscles at a high post-mortem temperature induces PSE-like meat in turkey. Meat Sci. 63: 525-532.
- Peryam, D. R. and Girardot, N. F. (1952). Advanced taste test method. Food Eng. 24: 58-61.
- Ponte, P. I. Rosado, C. M. Crespo, J. P. Crespo, D. G. Mourao, J. L. Chaveiro-Soares, M. A. Bras, I. Mendes, J. L. Gama, L. T. Prates, J. A. Ferreira, L. M. and Fontes, C. M. (2008). Pasture intake improves the performance and meat sensory attributes of free- range broilers. Poult Sci. 87: 71-79.
- Wattanachant, S. Benjakul, S. and Ledward, D. A. (2004). Composition, color, and texture of Thai indigenous and broiler chicken muscles. Poult Sci. 83: 123-128.
- Wiebicki, E. and Deatherage, F. E. (1958). Determination of water-holding capacity of fresh meats. Agri Food Chem. 6: 387-392.
- Wood, J. D. Richardson, R. I. Nute, G. R. Fisher, V. A. Campo, M. M. and Kasapidou, E. (2003). Effects of fatty acids on meat quality: a review. Meat Sci. 66: 21-32.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.