Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
NanoBioscaffolds as Wound Healing Biomaterials in Animals
First Online 11-02-2021|
Methods: The dECM was prepared to achieve acellularity, intactness and adequate tensile strength. The same was confirmed by morphological (histology, scanning electron microscopy and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy), mechanical (tensile strength) and biological (DNA quantification) analyses. Further, the dECM was impregnated with the eco-friendly synthesized keratin-chitosan-silver nanoparticles to produce ‘NanoBioscaffolds’ for extended biocompatibility and were evaluated for wound healing activity in rats.
Result: The findings of the histopathology (H and E staining), immunohistochemistry (the proliferative activity of keratinocytes by Ki67 staining) and biochemical analysis (anti oxidative status by catalase estimation) revealed that wound healing activity was promoted by inducing proliferation and migration of the keratinocytes and detoxification of reactive oxygen species activity (ROS) in NanoBioscaffold treated group.
- Alarcon, E.I., Udekwu, K.I., Noel, C.W., Gagnon, L.B., Taylor, P.K. and Vulesevic, B. (2015). Safety and efficacy of composite collagen-silver nanoparticle hydrogels as tissue engineering scaffolds. Nanoscale. 7: 18789-18798.
- Auddy, R.G., Abdullah, M.F., Das, S., Roy, P., Datta, S. and Mukherjee, A. (2013). New guar biopolymer silver nanocomposites for wound healing applications. BioMed Research International. 2013: 1-8.
- Balaji, S., Kumar, R., Sripriya, R., Rao, U., Mandal, A., Kakkar. P., Reddy, P.N. and Sehgal, P.K. (2012). Characterization of keratin-collagen 3D scaffold for biomedical applications. Polymer Advance Technology. 23: 500-507.
- G¹sior-Glogowska, M., Komorowska, M., Hanuza, J., Ptak, M. and Kobielarz, M. (2010). Structural alteration of collagen fibres spectroscopic and mechanical studies. Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics. 12(4): 55-62.
- Hartrianti, P., Ling, L., Samsonray, R. and Sow, W.T. (2015). Modulating mesenchymal stem cell behavior using human hair keratin-coated surfaces. Stem Cells International, Article ID 752424: 9 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/752424.
- Hwang, I.S., Hwang, J.H., Choi, H., Kim, K.J. and Lee, D.G. (2012). Synergistic effects between silver nanoparticles and antibiotics and the mechanisms involved. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 9: 1719-1726.
- Kahrilas, G.A., Wally, L.M., Fredrick, S.J., Hiskey, M., Prieto, A.L. and Owens, J.E. (2014). Microwave Assisted Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Orange Peel Extract. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering. 2(3): 367-376.
- Kong, L., Gao, Y., Cao, W., Gong, Y., Zhao, N. and Zhang, X. (2005). Preparation and characterization of nano-hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 75: 275-282.
- Kurahashi, T. and Fujii, J. (2015). Roles of Antioxidative Enzymes in Wound Healing. Journal of Developmental Biology. 3: 57-70.
- Lun, S., Irvine S.M., Johnson, K.D., et al. (2010). A functional extracellular matrix biomaterial derived from ovine forestomach. Biomaterials. 31: 4517-29.
- Luna, H.T., (2017). Manual of histological staining methods of the armed forces institute of pathology. Edn.3rd, Mc Graw Hill Book Company.https://archive.org/details/Manual HistologicalStaining/page/n15/mode/2up.
- Nagata, S., Hananyama, R. and Kawane, K. (2010). Autoimmunity and Clearance of Dead Cells. Cell. 140(5): 619-630.
- Makarov, V.V., Love, A.J., Sinitsyna, O.V., Makarova, S.S., Yaminsky I.V. and Taliansky, M.E. (2014). ”Green” nanotechnologies: synthesis of metal nanoparticles using plants. Acta Nature. 6: 35-44.
- Michel, J.W. and Fredrickson, J.W. (1990). Wound healing-oxygen free radicals and wound healing. Clinical Plastic Surgery. 17: 1473-83.
- Parmaksiz, M., Dogan, A., Odabas, S., Elçin, A.E. and Elçin, Y.M. (2016). Clinical applications of decellularized extracellular matrices for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Biomedical Materials. 11(2): 022003.
- Shaik, S., Kummara, M.R., Poluru, S.C., Gooty, J.M. and Kashayi, C.R. (2013). A green approach to synthesize silver nanoparticles in starch-co-poly (acrylamide) hydrogels by tridax procumbens leaf extract and their antibacterial activity. International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry. 2013: 1-10.
- Ward, B.R., Johnson, K.D., May, B.C.H. (2014). Tissue scaffolds derived from forestomach extracellular matrix. US Patent. US 8758781 B2.
- Xu, H., Shi, Z., Reddy, N. and Yang, Y. (2014). Intrinsically water-stable keratin nanoparticles and their in vivo biodistribution for targeted deliveryJournal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 62: 9145-9150.
- Zheng, Y., Du, X., Wang, W., Boucher, M., Parimoo, S. and Stenn, K. (2005). Organogenesis from dissociated cells: Generation of mature cycling hair follicles from skin-derived cells. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 124: 867-876.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.