Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Molecular Identification and Characterization of Chicken Parvovirus from Indian Chicken and Association with Runting and Stunting Syndrome
First Online 09-11-2020|
Methods: Intestinal samples from 14 flocks of chicken of different age and breed and with or without RSS were collected randomly from necropsy samples, isolated nucleic acids, and screened for major enteric viruses by Polymerised chain reaction (PCR), using species-specific primers.
Result: Chicken Parvovirus (ChPV) was identified in 100% of the flocks with RSS, in two of which ChPV alone was detected. While in others it was associated with Avian nephritis virus, Avian Rotavirus, Chicken astrovirus, and Fowl adenovirus in 80%, 50%, 30% and 10% flocks, respectively. RSS was reproduced and isolated ChPV by chicken embryo inoculation using the samples from ChPV alone infected cases. Sequence analysis of ChPV revealed closer association with Ecuodor isolates than the Asian isolates. The results indicated the presence of ChPV in Indian chicken flocks and its close association with RSS.
- Bidin, M., Biðin, Z, Majnariæ, D., Tisljar, M., Lojkic, I. (2012). Circulation and phylogenetic relationship of chicken and turkey-origin astroviruses detected in domestic ducks (Anasplatyrhynchos domesticus). Avian Pathology. 41: 555-562.
- Cotmore, S.F., Agbandje-McKenna, M., Chiorini, J.A., Mukha, D.V., Pintel, D.J., Qiu, J., et al. (2014). The family Parvoviridae, Arch Virol. 159:1239-47.
- Day, J.M., Spackman, E., Pantin-Jackwood, M. (2007). A multiplex RT-PCR test for the differential identification of turkey astrovirus type 1, turkey astrovirus type 2, chicken astrovirus, avian nephritis virus and avian rotavirus, Avian Diseases. 51: 681-684.
- Day, M.J., Zsak, L. (2010). Determination and analysis of the full-length chicken parvovirus genome, Virology. 399: 59-64.
- Devaney, R., Trudgett, J., Trudgett, A., Meharg, C., Smyth, V.J. (2016). A metagenomic comparison of endemic viruses from broiler chickens with runting-stunting syndrome and from normal birds, Avian Pathology. 45: 616-629.
- Domanska-Blicharz, K., Minta, Z. (2011). The role of parvoviruses in enteropathies of poultry, Polskie Drobiarstwo. 3: 54-55.
- Feng, B., Xie, Z., Deng, X., Xie, L., Xie, Z., Huang, L., Fan, Q., Luo, S., Huang, J., Zhang, Y., et al. (2016). Genetic and phylogenetic analysis of a novel parvovirus isolated from chickens in Guangxi, China. Arch Virol. 161: 3285-3289.
- Finkler, F., Lima, D.A., Cerva, C., Moraes, L.B., Cibulski, S.P., Teixeira, T.F., Santos, H.F., Almeida, L.L., et al. (2016). Chicken parvovirus and its associations with malabsorption syndrome. Research in Veterinary Science. 107: 178-81.
- Guy, J. S. (1998). Virus infections of the gastrointestinal tract of poultry. Poultry Science. 77: 1166-1175.
- Kisary, J. (1985). Experimental infection of chicken embryos and day-old chickens with parvovirus of chicken origin, Avian Pathology. 14: 1-7.
- Kisary, J., Nagy, B., Betay, Z. (1984). Presence of parvovirus in the intestine of chickens showing stunting syndrome, Avian Pathology. 13: 339-343.
- Koo, B.S., Lee, H.R., Jeon, E.O., Han, M.S., Min, K.C., Lee, S.B., Mo, I.P. (2013). Molecular survey of enteric viruses in commercial chicken farms in Korea with a history of enteritis. Poultry Science. 92: 2876-85.
- Koo, B.S., Lee, H.R., Jeon, E.O., Han, M.S., Min, K.C., Lee, S.B., Mo, I. (2015). Genetic characterization of three novel chicken parvovirus strains based on analysis of their coding sequences. Avian Pathology. 44: 28-34.
- Mettifogo, E., Nuñez, L.F.N., Chacón, J.L., Santader-Parra, S.H., Stolfi-Ferreira, C.S., et al. (2014). Emergence of enteric viruses in production chickens is a concern for avian health. Scientific World Journal. 450423.
- McNulty, M.S., Allan, G.M., McCracken, R.M. (1983). Experimental infection of chickens with rotaviruses: clinical and virological findings. Avian Pathology. 12: 45-54.
- Nunez, L. F. N., Sa, L. R. M., Parra, S. H. S., Astolfi-Ferreira, C. S., Carranza, C., Ferreira, A. J. P. (2016). Molecular detection of chicken parvovirus in broilers with enteric disorders presenting curving of duodenal loop, pancreatic atrophy and mesenteritis, Poultry Science. 95: 802-810.
- Nunez, L.F.N., Santander Parra, S.H., Mettifogo, E., Astolfi-Ferreira, C.S., Piantino Ferreira, A.J. (2015). Isolation and molecular characterisation of chicken parvovirus from Brazilian flocks with enteric disorders, British Poultry Science. 56: 39-47.
- Palade, E.A., Kisary, J., Benyeda, Z., Mándoki, M., Balka, G., Jakab, C., Végh. B, Demeter, Z., Rusvai, M. (2011). Naturally occurring parvoviral infection in Hungarian broiler flocks, Avian Pathology. 40: 191-197.
- Pantin-Jackwood, M.J., Day, J.M., Jackwood, M.W., Spackman, E. (2008). Enteric viruses detected by molecular methods in commercial chicken and turkey flocks in the United States between 2005 and 2006. Avian Diseases. 52: 235-244.
- Raue, R., Hess, M. (1998). Hexon based PCRs combined with restriction enzyme analysis for rapid detection and differentiation of fowl adenoviruses and egg drop syndrome virus. Journal of Virological Methods. 73: 211-217.
- Sambrook, J.F., Russell, D.W. (2001). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 3rd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Smyth, V.J., Jewhurst, H.L., Adair, B.M., Todd, D. (2009). Detection of chicken astrovirus by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction. Avian Pathology. 38: 293-301.
- Tamura, K., Stecher, G., Peterson, D., Filipski, A., Kumar, S. (2013). MEGA6: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 30: 2725-2729.
- Tarasiuk, K., Wozniakowski, G., Samorek-Salamonowicz, E. (2012). Occurrence of chicken parvovirus infection in Poland. Open Virology Journal. 6: 7-11.
- Todd, D., Trudgett, J., McNeilly, F., McBride, N., Donnelly, B., Smyth, V.J., Jewhurst, H.L., Adair, B.M. (2010). Development and application of an RT-PCR test for detecting avian nephritis virus, Avian Pathology. 39: 207-213.
- Zavala, G., Sellers, H. (2005). Runting-stunting syndrome. The Informed Poultry Professional Issue. 85:1-4.
- Zsak, L., Cha, R.M., Day, J.M., (2013). Chicken parvovirus induced runting-stunting syndrome in young broilers. Avian Diseases. 57: 123-127.
- Zsak, L., Strother, K.O., Day, J.M. (2009). Development of a polymerase chain reaction procedure for detection of chicken and turkey parvoviruses. Avian Disases. 53: 83-88.
- Zsak, L., Strother, K.O., Kisary, J. (2008). Partial genome sequence analysis of parvoviruses associated with enteric disease in poultry, Avian Pathology. 37: 435-441.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.