Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Therapeutic management of blood transfusion reaction in a crossbred cow
First Online 20-05-2016|
A crossbred cow aged 6 year was presented to Teaching Veterinary Hospital of the Institute with the history of fever, tick infestation, anemia and decreased milk yield since last 10 days. Clinical examination revealed fever, pale mucous membrane and nil rumen motility. Hematological examination findings were anemia, leucopenia, relative neutrophilia and lymphopenia and decreased platelets. Blood smear examination revealed Anaplasma Marginale infection. Animal was treated with blood transfusion, oxytetracyclin, oral hematinic and multivitamin. After half an hour of start of transfusion, cow showed transfusion reaction in the form of urticarial eruptions all over the body, edema of eyelids, lips and over the face, frothy discharge from mouth with muscle tremor and shivering. Transfusion reaction was successfully managed with Adrenalin, Dexona, Avil along with normal saline.
- Brunton, L.L., Lazo, J.S. and Parker, K. L. (2006). Goodman and Gillman’s the Pharmacological Basis of therapeutics, 11th edition, Mc grew hills, medical publishing division.
- Durham , A.E. (1996). Blood and plasma transfusion in horse. Equine Veterinary Education 8:8-12.
- Harrell, K. and Kristensen, A. (1995). Canine transfusion reactions and their management. Vet Clin. North Am. Small Anim Pract. 25:1333.
- Radostits, O. M., Gay, C. C., Hinchcliff, K. W. and Constable, P. D. (2007). Veterinary Medicine. A Textbook of Diseases of Cattle, Sheep, Goat and Horses. 10th edition, Newyork WB Saunders Company ltd.
- Smith, B. P. (2002). Large Animal Internal Medicine 3rd edn., Mosby St. Louis Missouri,U.S.A.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.