Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Reproductive attributes of local pig (Votho) of Nagaland, India
First Online 28-09-2016|
The present study was conducted to measure the reproductive attributes of Naga local pigs (Votho) in Kohima, Peren and Phek district of Nagaland. The reproductive parameters were measured through field survey and reproductive records of owner. The reproductive parameters such as age at first fertile service (AFFS), age at first farrowing (AFF), gestation length, farrowing interval, litter size at birth, litter size at weaning, litter weight at birth, litter weight at weaning, mortality rate and stillbirth rate were measured. The result revealed that there was a significant difference among the different districts of Nagaland in AFFS, AFF and litter weight at birth. Parameters such as AFFS, AFF and litter weight at birth were significantly higher and gestation length, farrowing interval, litter size at weaning, litter weight at birth, litter weight at weaning were non-significantly higher in Kohima than in Peren and Phek District. Similarly, parameters such as litter size at birth, mortality rate were non-significantly higher in Peren district and stillbirth was non- significantly higher in Phek district than other districts of Nagaland. These reproductive attributes analyses may be useful in selection of breeding stock for future parents and select the place for breeding programme for indigenous local Naga pigs.
- Babu, G.N, Venugopal Naidu, K., Seshagiri Rao, A. and Vijay Singh. (2004). Certain reproductive parameters in large white Yorkshire pigs maintained with garbage feeding in rural areas. Indian J. Anim. Sci.74: 438 - 440.
- Bendanganger, V.B., Sharma, V.K., Vidyarthi, N.N., Bora, J., Saharia, S.P. and Sarmah, B.K. (2008). Reproductive traits of indigenous pigs of Nagaland. Indian Vet. J. 85:1200 – 1202.
- Bhowal, A. (1992). Genetics studies on the performance of indigenous pigs and their crosses with Hampshire. M.V.Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati.
- Chandy, K.T. (1986). Report on publication of Livestock in Indian Economy with special reference to North – Eastern Hill Region for Indian Social Institute, New Delhi.
- Chauhan, V.P.S., Deo, S., Chhabra, A.K. and Bhat, P.N. (1994). Production and reproduction traits and their inheritance in Indigenous pigs. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 71:452-455.
- Chhabra, A.K., Gaur, G.K., Bhatia, S.S., Raheja, K.L. and Pal, S. (1996). Studies on litter traits in Desi and crossbred pigs. Indian J. Anim. Res. 30:134-136.
- Das, A. and Karunakaran, M. (2000-03). National Agricultural Technology Project: Improvement of pig of NEH Region. ICAR Res. Complex for NEH Region, Nagaland Centre, Jharnapani, Nagaland.
- Das, A.K. and Mishra, R.R. (1992). Reproductive traits of indigenous pigs. Indian Vet. J. 69:133-135.
- Deka, A.C. (1988). Performance of local, exotic and crossbred pigs under farm and village conditions. M.V. Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati.
- Dhingra, M.M. (1987). Genetic improvement of indigenous pig in India. Livestock Adviser. XII (XI):13-17.
- Gupta, R.N., Parmar, S.N.S. and Johar, K.S. (1982). Indian J. Anim. Sci. 65:1428.
- Holness, D.H. 1991. The Tropical Agriculturist (Pigs). CTA, Wageningen, pp. 1-29.
- Irgang, R. and Robinson, O.W. (1984). Heritability estimates for ages at farrowing, rebreeding internal and litter traits in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 59:67-73.
- Jogi, S. (1989). Pig industry and performance of desi pigs in India. Piggery India Year Book. pp. 12-17.
- Jogi, S. (1995). Factors affecting some of the reproductive traits of native sows (sus scrofa domesticus). Indian Vet. Med. J. 19:216-217.
- Kalita, D. (1995). Genetic studies in some of the economic traits of indigenous pigs and their crosses with Hampshire. M.V.Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati.
- Kumar, S., Singh, S.K., Singh, R.L., Sharma, B.D., Dubey, C.D. and Verma, S.S. (1990). Effect of genetic and non genetic factors on body weight efficiency of feed utilization, reproductive performance and survivability in Landrace, desi and their half breeds. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 60:1219-1223.
- Lakhani, G.P. and Bhadouria, S.S. (1991). Studies on performance of indigenous pigs at Livestock Farm, Jabalpur. Indian J. Anim. Res. 26:56-58.
- Miachie-o, V. (1991): Studies on certain aspects of reproduction in Hampshire, Indigenous pigs of Assam and their crosses. M.V.Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati.
- Mishra, R.R. (1987). Report for Sixth Five Year Plan Period of All India Co-ordinated Research Project on Pigs. Coordinating Agency, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, U.P.
- Mishra, R.R., Dash, P. and Acharya, S. (1985). A Study on economic traits and mortality in Large White Yorkshire, indigenous pigs and their crosses- A note. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt. 1:41-44.
- Mishra, R.R., Lal, K., Shama, G.C. and Prasad, S. (1990). Studies on litter weight at weaning of local pigs maintained in India. Indian Vet. J. 67:552-553.
- Mukhopadhayay, A., Singh, R.L. and Singh, S.K. (1992). A comparative study on the effect of genetic and non genetic factors of Landrace. Tamworth and desi pigs and their crosses on some reproductive characters. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 62:482-484.
- Phookan, A. (2002). Studies on certain growth, reproduction and biochemical traits in indigenous pigs of Assam. M.V.Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Khanapara, Guwahati, India.
- Raina, B.L. (1982-83). Annual Progress Report of the Project Coordinator during the years 1980-83. AICRP on Pigs, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, U.P.
- Raju, K.G.S. (1998). Study on reproductive traits of indigenous pigs. Indian J. Anim. Res. 32:145-146.
- Shostak, B., Benkov, B.I., Slanev, K. and Benkov, I. (1990). The effect of genotype, parity, season and year on the reproductive traits of sows. Zhivomor dui Nauki 27(1):17-23 [c.f. Anim. Breed. Abstr. 59:1229].
- Shrestha, J.B.N., Heamey, D.P., Fiser, P.S. and Langford, G.A. (1984). Influence and effect at farrowing for pre-determination of body weight on linear body measurements of pigs. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 12:134-142.
- Shylla, B. (1988). Genetic Studies on some of the economic traits of Indigenous pigs of Assam. M.V.Sc. Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati.
- Singh, K. L., Singh, R. L., Sharma, B.D. and Dubey, C. B. (1990). Reproductive traits and mortality rate in pigs. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 60:886-887.
- Singh, S.K. and Devi, A. (1997). Performance of reproductive traits in various genetic groups of pigs. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 67:1021-1022.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. 8th Edn., IOWA State University Press, Ames, IOWA, USA.
- Subalini, E., Silva, G.L.L.P. and Dematawewa, C.M.B. (2010). Phenotypic characterization and production performance of village pigs in Sri Lanka. Tropical Agricultural Research 21:198-208.
- Svendsen, J. (1980). Factors affecting pre and post partum at birth on pigs. Aspect of prevention and control of still birth. Ph.D. Thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Science, Uppsala, Sweden.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.