Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Antioxidant status in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats treated with vanadium complex
First Online |
As lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress play a key role in the pathogenesis of diabetes, the antioxidant status of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats, treated with vanadium complex was explored in the present study. Diabetes was induced by single intraperitoneal injection of streptozotocin (STZ) at the dose rate of 45 mg per kg body weight. Diabetes was confirmed after 72 hours of STZ injection by estimating blood glucose level and those rats showing more than 250 mg/dL were considered as diabetic. Vanadium complex at the dose rates of 5 and 10 mg / kg body weight was administered orally to normal control and STZ induced diabetic rats. Glimepiride was used as the positive control and was given orally at the dose rate of 800 µg / Kg body weight. The study on the hepatic, renal and pancreatic tissues showed that vanadium complex at both the predetermined dosages significantly increased the antioxidant activities of superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase along with a significant increase in the level of glutathione and a significant decrease in the level of lipid peroxidation. The study also revealed that there is a significant reduction in the activity of catalase after treatment with vanadium complex at both the dosage levels.
- Baynes, J.W. and Thorpe, S.R. (1991). Role of oxidative stress in diabetic complications: A new perspective on an old paradigm. Diab.,48:1-9.
- Chehade, J.M. and Mooradian, A.D. (2000).A Rational Approach to Drug Therapy of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Disease Management.Drugs,60: 95-113.
- Damasceno, D.C., Volpato, G.T., Calderon, I.M.P., Aguilar, R. and Rudge, M.V.C.(2004). Effect of Bauhinia forficataextract in diabetic pregnant rats: maternal repercussions. Phytomedicine,11: 196-201.
- Das, S., Vasisht,S., Snehalata, M., Das, N. and Srivastava, M. (2000). Correlation between total antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in hypercholesterolemia. Curr. Sci.,78: 486.
- Hunt, J.V., Smith, C. C. and Wolff, S. P. (1990). Autoxidative glycosylation and possible involvement of peroxides and free radicals in LDL modification by glucose.Diab.,39:1420-1424.
- Klepac, N., Rudes, Z. and Klepac,R.(2005). Effects of melatonin on plasma oxidative stress in rats with streptozotocin induced diabetes. Biomed.Pharmacother.,60: 32-35.
- Koyuturk, M., SevimTunali, Sehnaz Bolkent and RefiyeYanardag.(2005). Effects of VanadylSulfate on Liver of Streptozotocin- Induced Diabetic Rats. Biol. Trace Elem. Res.,104: 233-360.
- Kurt, O., Tugba Yilmaz Ozden, Nurten Ozsoy, SevimTunali, Ayse Can, Nuriye Akev and RefiyeYanardag.(2011). Influence of vanadium supplementation on oxidative stress factors in the muscle of STZ-diabetic rats.Biometals,24: 943-949.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R. J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem.,193: 265-275.
- Matsubara, T., Marcu, S.M., Misra, P.H. and Dhalla, N.S.(1995). Protective effect of vanadate on oxyradical-induced changes in isolated perfused heart.Mol. Cell Biochem.,153: 79-85.
- Misra, H.P. and Fridovich, I.(1972).The role of superoxide anion in the autooxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase.J. Biol. Chem.,247: 3170-3175.
- Moron, M.S., Dipierre, J.W. and Mannervik, B. (1979).Levels of glutathione, glutathione reductase and glutathione s- transferase activities in rat kidney and liver.Biochem.Biophys.Acta, 582: 67-78.
- Nanda, K.K., Mohanta, S.K., Ghosh, S., Monika, M., Helliwell, M. and Nag, K.(1995). Macrocyclic mononuclear VIV and VV, heterodinuclearVVNiV and heterodinuclear VIV Ni IIVVcomplexes: synthesis, structure, electrochemistry and magneto chemistry. Inorg. Chem.,34: 2861–2869.
- Rajasekaran, S., Sivagnanam, K.and Subramanian,S. (2005). Antioxidant effect of Aloe vera gel extract in streptozotocin- induced diabetes in rats. Pharmacol. Rep., 57:90-96.
- Ramachandran, B., Ravi, K., Narayanan,V., Kandaswamy, M. and Subramanian,S.(2004).Effect of macrocyclic binuclear oxovanadium complex on tissue defense system in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.ClinicaChimicaActa, 345: 141-150.
- Ramadasan, K. and Chacko Sabu, M. (2009). Antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Terminalia belerica.Roxb.Indian J. Exp. Biol., 47 : 270-275.
- Rauscher, F.M., Sanders, R.A. and Watkins, J.B. (2001). III. Effects of coenzyme Q10 treatment on antioxidant pathways in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J. Biochem. Mol. Tox.,15: 41-46.
- Ravi, K., Ramachandran, B. and Subramanian, S. (2004). Protective effect of Eugenia jambolana seed kernel on tissue antioxidants in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biol. Pharm. Bull., 27:1212–1217.
- Rotruck, J.T., Pope, A.L., Gasther, H.E., Swanson, A.B., Hafeman, D.G. and Hoeksha,W.G.(1972). Selenium: Biochemical role as a component of glutathione peroxidase. Sci., 179: 588-590.
- Sinha, A.K.(1972). Colorimetric assay of catalase.Anal.Biochem., 47: 389-394.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran,W.G. (1994). Statistical Method 9th edition, Iowa State University Press, Ame.
- Sutradhar, M., Tannistha Roy Barman, Gurunath Mukherjee, Manoj Kar, SouryaSekharSaha, Michael G.B. Drew and Saktiprosad Ghosh.(2011). Malonato complexes of oxidovanadium (IV): Synthesis, structural characterization and exploration of their insulin mimetic properties. Inorganica Chemica Acta,368:13–20.
- Tashima, K., Fujita, A. and Takeuchi, K.(2000). Aggravation of ischemia or reperfusion-induced gastric lesions in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Life Sci.,67:1707-1718.
- Wolff, S.P. and Dean, R.T.(1987).Glucose autoxidation and protein modification. The potential role of “autoxidative glycosylation” in diabetes. J.Biochem., 245:243-250.
- Yagi, K., Ohkava, H. and Ohishi,N. (1976). Assay for lipid peroxidation in animal tissue by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal.Biochem.,95: 351-358.
- Yanardag, R., Tulay Bal Demirci, Bahri Ulkuseven, SemaBolkent, Sevim Tunali and Sehnaz Bolkent.(2009). Synthesis, characterization and anti-diabetic properties of N1-2,4-dihydroxybenzylidene-N4-2-hydroxybenzylidene-S-methyl thiosemicarbazidato-oxovanadium(IV). Eur. J. Med. Chem., 44: 818-826.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.