Reproductive performance of Beltsville small White and Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) under hot humid climatic condition
Citation :- Reproductive performance of Beltsville small White and Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) under hot humid climatic condition .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):847-850
The study was conducted to compare the reproductive performance of Beltsville Small White and Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) under the hot humid climatic condition. Beltsville Small White and Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys were raised in an intensive production system under standard management practices. A total of 560 Beltsville Small White turkey eggs and 520 Broad Breasted Bronze turkey eggs were used for this study. Average egg weight (g), infertile eggs (%), early embryonic mortality (%), late embryonic mortality (%), dead in shell (%) and poults hatched weight (g) were significantly (P>0.01) higher in Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys as compared to Beltsville Small White turkeys. The total hatchability (%), fertile egg hatchability (%) and poults survivability (%) were (P>0.01) significantly higher in Beltsville Small White turkeys as compared to Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys. Non significantly higher fertility percentage was observed in Beltsville Small White turkeys as compared to Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys. It is concluded that Beltsville Small White turkeys are more suitable to obtain better reproductive performance under hot humid climate condition followed by Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys.
Beltsville small white
Broad breasted bronze
- Altan, O., Oguz,I. and Settar,P. (1995). Effect of egg weight and specific gravity of the hatchability characteristics in Japanese quail. Turk. J. Agric. For.,19: 219-222.
- Brunson, C.C. and Godfrey, G.F. (1953). The relationship of egg-shape, egg weight, specific gravity and 21 day incubation weight loss to hatchability of broad- breasted Bronze turkey eggs. Poult. Sci., 32: 846- 849.
- Deeming, D.C. (1997). Ratite egg incubation. A practical Guide. Ratite Conference, Buckinghamshire, UK.
- Karacanta,A., Aybey,M., Kocak, C. and Gonul, T. (1977). Effect of egg weight on hatchability in parent Bronze turkey. J.Agri. Fac. Ege Uni., 13: 133 – 137.
- Krueger, K. K. (1993). Embryo mortality patterns in commercial crossbred parent stock turkeys. In: Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Turkey Reproduction, Raleigh, NC. Pp. 70- 74.
- Mroz, E., Orlowska,A and Stepinska,M. (2010).Hatchery waste and Hatchability of turkey eggs. Pol. J. Natur. Sci., 25: 143–153.
- Ozcelik,M., Ekmen,F. and Elmaz,O. (2009). Effect of location of eggs in the incubator on hatchability of eggs from Bronze turkey breeders of different ages. South African J Ani. Sci. 39: 214- 222.
- Ogunshile, G. and Sparks, N.(1995). Effect of broiler egg weight on hatchability. Br. Poult. Sci., 36: 861-862.
- Peters, S.O., Shoyebo, O.O. Ilori, B.M. Ozoje, M.O. Ikeobi C.O.N. and Adebambo, O.A. (2008). Semen quality traits of seven strains of chickens raised in the humid tropics. Int.J. Poult. Sci., 7: 949-953.
- Reinhart, B.S. and Hurnik, G.I.(1984). Traits affecting the hatching performance of commercial chicken broiler eggs. Poult. Sci., 63: 240-245.
- Reinhart, B.S. and Moran, E.T.(1979). Incubation characteristics of eggs from older small White turkeys with emphasis on the effects due to egg weight. Poult. Sci.,58: 1599-1605.
- Sewalem, A. and Wilhelmson, M. (1999). Genetic study of embryonic mortality in White Leghorn lines selected for egg production traits. Br. Poult. Sci., 40: 467- 471.
- Sachdev,A.K.,Ahuja, S.D., Thomas, P.C. and Agarwal, S.K. (1985). Effect of egg weight and duration of storage on the weight loss, fertility and hatchability traits in Japanese quail. Indian J. Poult. Sci., 20: 19-22.
- Shanawany,M.M.(1987).Hatching weight in relation to egg weight in domestic birds. World’s Poult.Sci. J., 43: 107-115.
- Snedecor,G.W, Cochran, W.G. (1989).Statistical Methods. 8 th ed. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.