In Vitro maturation rate of oocytes collected from indigenous cows of Assam after slaughter
Citation :- In Vitro maturation rate of oocytes collected from indigenous cowsof Assam after slaughter .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):869-871
Sixty healthy ovaries were collected from local slaughter house. Oocytes from small and medium sized follicles (2-8 mm in diameter) were selected for oocyte collection using aspiration followed by slicing . A and B category ( cumulus oocyte complexes (COCs) with more than 5 layers and 3-5 layers respectively of compact cumulus cells surrounding the zona pellucida) were selected for in vitro maturation. A total of 361 oocytes were found to be matured with overall mean maturation rate of 82.59 ± 0.02%. The mean number of grade A, B and C oocytes recovered per ovary was 4.26 ± 0.53, 3.05 ± 0.31 and 1.25 ± 0.19, respectively. The overall recovery of grade A, B and C oocytes were 256, 183 and 74 . Out of 439 oocytes 58.86 ± 0.05%, 33.23 ±0.04 % and 9.90 ± 0.04 % showed +++, ++ and + degrees of cumulus expansion, respectively. It was concluded that aspiration followed by slicing is an ideal method for maximum yield of oocytes and in vitro maturation in indigenous cow of Assam.
In vitro maturation
- Bagg , M. A ., Nottle, M . B ., Armstrong, D.T . and Grupen, C.G. (2007). Relationship between follicle size and oocyte developmental competence in prepubertal and adult pigs. Reproduction , Fertility and Development. 19: 797- 803.
- Chakravarty, P., Baishya, D., Bhuyan, S., Jatiana, B., Borah, B .K. D., Borah, S., Sarmah, B. C. and Chauhan, M.S. (2010). Recovery of oocytes from Yak (Poephagus grunniens ) and cattle ovaries by aspiration followed by slicing techniques. Technical bulletin, International Symposium on Biotechnologies for optimization of reproductive efficiency of farm & companion animals to improve global food security and human health & XXVI Annual convention of ISSAR (November 10-12), Pp. 120.
- Chauhan, M .S., Singla, H.K., Palta, P., Manik, R.S. and Madan, M.L. (1999). Effects of EGF on cumulus expansion, meiotic maturation and development of buffalo oocytes in vitro. Veterinary Record. 144: 266-267.
- Hafez, E. S. E. and Hafez, B. (2008). Reproduction in Farm Animals, Seventh edn. part VI Assisted Reproductive Technology, Wiley Blackwell Publishing Company, US, Pp. 418.
- Hoque, S. A.M., Kabiraj, S.K., Khandoker, M.A.M.Y., Mondal, A. and Tareq, K.M. A. (2011). Effect of collection techniques on cumulus oocyte complexes (COCs) recovery, in vitro maturation and fertilization of goat oocytes. African. Journal of Biotechnology. 10: 9177-9181.
- Hunter, A .G. and Moor, R.M. (1987). Stage- dependent effects of inhibiting ribonucleic acids and protein synthesis on meiotic maturation of bovine oocytes in vitro. Journal ofDairy Science. 70: 1646-1651.
- Jamil, H. (2007). Studies on in vitro maturation, sperm preparation and fertilization of Nili- Ravi Buffalo follicular oocytes. Ph.D. Thesis , University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Katsa, M . L. (1984). Comparison of two methods of recovery of ovarian oocytes from slaughter
- catlle. Animal Reproduction Science 7: 461-463.
- Khan, I.Q., Samad, H. A. and Rehman, N. U. (1997). Quantity and quality of buffalo follicular oocytes recovered by aspiration and scoring methods for in vitro studies. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. 17:187-189.
- Kidder, G. M. (1992). The genetic program of preimplantation development. Developmental Genetics. 13: 319-325.
- Madan, M.L., Singla, S.K., Chauhan, M.B. and Maanik, R.S.. (1994). In vitro production and transfer of embryos in buffaloes. Theriogenology. 41:139-143.
- Mehmood, A.,Anwar, M ., Andrabi S. M. H., Afzal, M. and Naqvi, S.M. (2011). In vitro maturation and fertilization of buffalo oocytes: the effect of recovery and maturation methods. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. 35: 381-386.
- Sanap, N. A., Markandeya, N. M., Lakde, M. B., Patharkar, S.C., Choudhari, R.J. and Sawale, A.G. (2010). Studies on effect of different concentration of buffalo follicular fluid on in vitro maturation of buffalo oocytes, Technical bulletin, International Symposium on Biotechnologies for optimization of reproductive efficiency of farm & companion animals to improve global food security and human health & XXVI Annual convention of ISSAR (November 10-12), Pp. 147.
- Soren, S. (2011). Studies of in vitro maturation of cattle embryos. P.G Thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Khanapara, Guwahati, Assam .
- Takagi. Y., Mori, K., Takahashi, T., Sugawara, S. and Masaki, J. (1992). Differences in development of bovine oocytes recovered by aspiration or by mincing. Journal of Animal Science. 78: 1923- 1927.