Performance of broilers fed ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) incorporated diets during summer season for alleviating heat stress
Citation :- Performance of broilers fed ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) incorporated diets during summer season for alleviating heat stress.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):333-335
An experiment was conducted to assess the effect of ashwagandha on alleviating heat stress using 90 numbers of day old broiler chicks dividing into 3 treatment groups containing 3 replicates in each group during summer season. The dietary treatments included T1 (Control) without any herbal supplementation, T2 - 1.0 % ashwagandha root powder and T3 - 0.15 % ashwagandha root extract. At the end of 42 days of age, the body weight, feed intake, antioxidant level and immune status were significantly.
- Akotkar, N.S., Sarag, A.N., Rakhate, D.H. and Dhok, A.P. (2007). Effect of supplementation of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on performance of broilers. Indian J. Poult. Sci., 42: 92-94.
- Ansari, J.Z., Ahsan-ul-Haq., Muhammad Yousaf., Tanveer Ahmad and Sarzamin Khan (2008). Evaluation of different medicinal plants as growth promoters for broiler chicks. J. Agri., 24: 323-329.
- Bharavi, K.,ÂÂ A. Gopala Reddy.,ÂÂ Rao, G.S.,ÂÂ Rajasekhara Reddy, A. andÂÂ Rama Rao, S.V. (2010). Reversal of cadmium-induced oxidative stress in chicken by herbal adaptogensÂÂ Withania somniferaÂÂ andÂÂ Ocimum sanctum. Toxicol. Int., 17: 59–63.
- Bhardwaj, R.K. and Gangwar, S.K. (2011). Effect of dietary supplementation of Withania somnifera on egg production and egg quality parameters in Japanese Quails. Int.J.Anvanced Biol.Res., 1: 32-34.
- Holovska Jr, K., Holovska, K., Boldizarova, K., Cekonova, S., Lenartova, V., Levkut, M., Javorsky, P. and Leng, L. (2003). Antioxidant enzyme activities in liver tissues of chickens fed diets supplemented with various forms and amounts of selenium. J. Anim. Feed Sci., 12: 143 – 152.
- Jadhav S.S., Mandlekar, S.M., Choudhari, A.J., Shinde, S.V. and Kharkar, K.P. (2008). Effect of supplementation of ashwagandha and ascorbic acid as antistress agents on growth performance and immune status of broilers during hot weather. Roy.Vet.J.India., 4: 60-63.
- Khobragade, R.S. (2003). Feed supplementation of medicinal plants Tinospora cordifolia and Leptadenia reticulate in broilers. Ph.D thesis submitted to the Maharastra Animal and Fishery Sciences University, Nagpur, India.
- Kumari Daisy (2006). Growth Performance of broiler chicken on inclusion of ashwagandha and amla extracts in drinking water. M.V.Sc. Thesis (Livestock Production and Management), G.B.P.U.A & T., Pantnagar.
- Kumari, R., Tiwary, B.K., Prasad, A. and Ganguly, S. (2011). Immunomodulatory effect of herbal feed supplement in normal and immunocompromised broiler chicks. J.Anim. Sci., 81: 158-161.
- Kushwaha Shalini., Agatha Betsy and Paramjit Chawla (2012). Effect of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) root powder supplementation in treatment of hypertension. J.Ethnobiol. Ethnomedicine., 6: 111-115.
- Murthy, S.M., Mamatha, B. and Shivananda, ÂÂ T.N. (2009). Phytochemistry and medicinal uses ofÂÂ Withania somniferaÂÂ (L.) Dun. Biomed., 4: 123-129.
- Pal Ajay., Mahadeva Naika., Farhath Khanum and Amarinder Singh Bawa (2012). In-Vitro studies on the antioxidant assay profiling of root of Withania somnifera L. (Ashwagandha) Dunal. Agric. Conspec. Sci., 77: 95-101.
- Pedulwar, S.N., Choudhari, A.J., Zanzad, A.A., Ramteke, B.N. and Deshmukh, G.B. (2007). Effect of dietary supplementation of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on broilers. Vet. World., 6: 37-38.
- Punetha Ankita., Jayaraman Muthukumaran., Anmol Jaywant Hemrom., Nagarajan Arumugam., Mannu Jayakanthan and Durai Sundar (2010). Towards understanding the regulation of rubber biosynthesis: Insights into the initiator and elongator enzymes. J.Bioinform.Seq.Anal., 2: 1-10.
- Samarth, V.R., Dakshinkar, N.P., Jagtap, D.G. and Bhojne, G.R. (2002). Effect of aswagandha (Withania somnifera) on hemato-biochemical profile of broilers. Indian J.Anim. Sci., 73: 648-649.
- Singh, B., Chandan, B.K. and Gupta, D.K. (2010) Chemistry of garlic (Allium sativum) with special reference to allin and allicin- a review. In: Effect of dietary inclusion of plant extracts on the growth performance of male broiler. Poult. Sci (Suppl): S 43-S 44.
- Sivakumar, S., Khatiwada Chandra Prasad and Sivasubramanian, J. (2012). Biochemical studies on blood samples of patients with diabetes mellitus. Int.Res.J.Pharm., 3: 368-372.
- Varma Neelam., Mandeep Kataria., Kuldeep Kumar and Jyoti Saini (2012).Comparative study of L-asparaginase from different cytotypes of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal and its purification. J.Nat.prod.Plant.Resours., 2: 475-481.