ESTIMATION OF GENETIC AND PHENOTYPIC TRENDS FROM PRODUCTION EFFICIENCY TRAITS IN MURRAH BUFFALOES
Citation :- ESTIMATION OF GENETIC AND PHENOTYPIC TRENDS FROM PRODUCTION EFFICIENCY TRAITS IN MURRAH BUFFALOES.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2012.(46):410 - 412
Genetic and phenotypic trends were estimated for first lactation milk yield (FLY), first lactation peak yield (FPY), average yield per day of lactation (AYL), lactation milk yield per day of first calving interval (MCI) and lactation milk yield per day of age at second calving (MSC). Genetic trends for different traits were estimated by taking the regression of weighted average of sire’s estimated breeding value (WAEBV) for each year on year. Phenotypic trends for each trait were calculated as linear regression of performance of population on year. Negative genetic and phenotypic trends were obtained over the years. But, the values were non-significant.
First lactation milk yield
First lactation peak yield
- Dutt, T., Raheja, K.L. and Taneja, V.K. (1996). Estimates of sires’ breeding values and genetic and phenotypic trends for various economic traits in Murrah buffaloes, Indian J. Anim. Sci. 66: 1145-1148.
- Falconer, D.S. (1991). Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Third edition. ELBS Publication. U.K.
- Fooda, T. A., Kawthar, A. M. and Gebreel, I. A. (20100. Phenotypic and genetic trends for milk production in Egyptian buffaloes. J. American Sci., 6(11):143-147.
- Kuralkar, S.V. and Raheja, K.L. (1997). Estimation of genetic and phenotypic trends for first lactation traits in Murrah Buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 67: 695-697.
- Mallick, P. K. and Ghosh, A.K. (2009). Estimation of genetic trends of first lactation milk yield for Red Sindhi cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 79 (5): 525-527.
- Sahana, G. and Sadana, D.H. (1998). Evaluation of production performances of Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 51: 115-120.
- Sharma, R.C. and Singh, B.P. (1992). Genetic trends in Murrah buffaloes. Indian Vet. J. 69: 271-272.
- Singh, M.K., Gurnani, M. and Singh, D.V. (2003). Trends in first lactation traits of Karan Swiss cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 56: 336-337.
- Yadav, K.N., Rathi, S.S. Ram, S. and Singh, R. (1983). Estimates of genetic and phenotypic trends in Murrah buffaloes under progeny testing programme. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 36: 330-332.