Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
COMPARATIVE STUDY OF HAEMATOLOGICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN HEALTHY AND ASCARIOSIS AFFECTED BUFFALO CALVES*
‘severe’ ascariosis affected buffalo calves and haematological and various biochemical parameters
were estimated. In haematological study involving packed cell volume(PCV), there was a significant
increase in PCV in moderate and severely affected buffalo calves. In the biochemical study,
parameters like calcium, triglycerides, cholesterol, globulins and albumin : globulin (A:G) ratio
showed no significant difference in mild, moderate and severe ascariosis as compared to healthy
buffalo calves. The blood phosphorus level of buffalo calves affected with mild and severe
ascariosis was significantly increased. The Calcium:Phosphorus (Ca:P) ratio was drastically
decreased in severe and mild ascariosis and moderately decreased in moderate ascariosis affected
buffalo calves. The SGOT levels were significantly increased in moderate and severe ascariosis
whereas the SGPT and total bilirubin levels were significantly increased in severe ascariosis. The
glucose and total plasma proteins level were significantly decreased in severe ascariosis.
- Agnihotri, R.K. (1993). Indian Vet. Med. J., 17: 126-129.
- Baruah, P.K. et al. (1979). Haryana Veterinarian, 18: 107-110.
- Colton, T. (1974). Statistics in Medicine 1st Edition. Little, Brown and Company, Boston.
- Das, K.M. and Singh, G.B. (1955). British Vet. J., 111: 342-347.
- El-Abdin, Y.Z. et al. (1975). Egyptian J. Vet. Sci., 12: 143-152 (Vet. Bull. Abstract, 43: 3880).
- Gupta, G.C. et al. (1976). Indian Vet. J., 53: 438-441.
- Gupta, R.P. et al. (1985). Agril. Sci. Digest, 5: 53-56.
- Hariprasad, V. (1985). M.V.Sc. Thesis, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad.
- Lai, M. and Canu, G. (1979). Informatore Zootechnica, 26: 38-40 (Cited from VETCD 1973-1988).
- Radostits, O.M. et al. (1994). Veterinary Medicine 8th edition. English language Book Society and Bailliere Tindall, London.
- Schalm, O.W. et al. (1986). Veterinary Haematology, 4th Edition. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1967). Statistical Methods. 7th Edition. Oxford and IBH publishing Co., New Delhi.
- Srinivasa Rao, R. (1995). M.V.Sc. Thesis, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad.
- Srinivasa Rao, R. et al. (2000). J. Vet. Parasit., 14: 79-80.
- Srivastava, S.C. (1963). Indian Vet. J., 40: 758-762.
- Usharani Devi, H. et al. (2000). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 70: 817-819.