CYTOGENETIC CHARACTERIZATION OF DEONI CATTLE*
Citation :- CYTOGENETIC CHARACTERIZATION OF DEONI CATTLE*.Indian Journal of Animal Research.2006.(40):20 - 24
The cytogenetic characterization using 10 purebred Deoni cattle (5 males and 5 females)
revealed the diploid chromosome number to be 60. All the 29 pairs of autosomes and Ychromosome were acrocentric, while the X-chromosome was sub metacentric. The relative length
of the autosomes varied from 1.792 to 5.354 per cent. The X-chromosome was the longest and
contributed 5.592 per cent to the total genome. The Y-chromosome had a relative length of
1.903 per cent and was similar to that of the 28th autosome. The arm ratio, centromeric index
and morphological index of the X-chromosome were 2.03, 0.33 and 3.80 per cent, respectively.
The present study revealed that the chromosome architecture of Deoni cattle was similar to that
of the other breeds of Zebu cattle.
- Benjamin, B.R. and Bhat, P.N. (1977). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 47: 4-7.
- Choudhury, A. et al. (1996). Indian Vet. J., 73: 41-45.
- Desai, D.S. et al. (1984). Indian Vet. J., 61:958-962.
- Deasi, D.S. (1987). Indian J. Dairy Sci., 40: 52-54.
- Girija, C.R. (1995). Ph.D. Thesis, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur.
- Gupta, P. et al. (1974). Nucleus, 17: 129-132.
- Kumarasamy, P. et al. (2001). Proc. II Int. Symp. on Ongole Cattle, pp. 18-22.
- Moorehead, P.S. et al. (1960). Exptl. Cell Res., 20: 613-616.
- Nagpure, N.S. et al. (2001). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 71: 551-555.
- Raghunandanan, K.V. and Mukundan, G. (1991). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 61: 301-304.
- Sarkhel, B.C. (1989). Thesis Abstracts HAU, 16(171): 213.
- Turki, I. et al. (1989). Anim. Breed. Abstr., 59: 1717.