Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
EPIDEMIOLOGY OF HUMAN RABIES CASES IN KOLKATA WITH ITS APPLICATION TO POST PROPHYLAXIS
is conducted to know the true figure of rabies fatality and its distribution in Kolkata. 65478 dog bite
cases and 156 human rabies cases were investigated. All 156 human rabies cases admitted to hospital
died. Adolescent males suffered most. Semi-urban, farmers and illiterates were most vulnerable.
Amongst various animal bites, dog is the main culprit. Class III bite and bite at lower limb were the
most effected. Incubation period of ninety days were most common. Hydrophobia and aerophobia
were found to be pathognomonic signs for rabies. 4.48 % of rabies cases died of neuroparalysis due
to nerve tissues vaccine complication
- Bhargava, A., Deshmukh,R. and Ghosh, T.K.(2003). Profile and Characteristic of Animal bite in India. J. Assoc.
- Physicians India. 44(1): 37-8.
- Chowdhury, J.R. and Modak, K.K. (1981). Report on rabies in West Bengal. Journal of the Indian Medical
- Association. 81: 69-74.
- Vol. 44, No. 4, 2010 247
- Debbie, J.G. (1988). Rabies.World Health Forum .9(4): 536.
- Dutta, J.K. (1996) . Human rabies in India - epidemiological features, management and current methods of prevention.
- J. Assoc. Physician India. 44: 37-8.
- Ghosh, A. (2000). Study of dog bite rabies cases at Communicable Disease Center (CDC) B.R. Ambedkar hospital,
- Agartala, Tripura during 1995 to 2000. APRICON 2004. 6th National Conference on Rabies: 42-47.
- Goswami, A., Dutta, A.K., Bompart, F. and Wood, S.C.(1999). Safety of equine rabies immunoglobulin in 1971
- patients treated for category III animals bites in India. Indian J Clin Practice.10(5): 71-74.
- Hemachudha, T. (1988). Immunologic studies of patients with chronic encephalitis induced by post-exposure Semple
- rabies vaccine. Neurology. 38:42-44.
- Lakhanpal, U. and Sharma, R.C. (1985). An epidemiological study of human rabies cases. J. Epidemiol.14: 614-16.
- Mahendra, B.J. (2003). Clinico - epidemiological study of human rabies cases at epidemic disease hospital, Bangalore.
- J. Trop. Doct. 29(4):196-201.
- Mahendra, B.J., Sudarshan, M.K. and Madhusudana, S.N.(1999). Post exposure prophylaxis with purified vero cell
- rabies vaccine during pregnancy-safety and immunogenicity. J Commun Dis. 31: 229-36.
- Murray, C.J.L. (1994). Quantifying the burden of disease: the technical basis for disability-adjusted life years. Bulletin
- of the World Health Organization.72:429-45.
- Roth, F., Zinsstag. J., Orkhon, D., Chimed-Ochir, G., Hutton, G.and Cosivi,O. (2003). Human health
- benefits from livestock vaccination for brucellosis: a case study. Bulletin of the World Health
- Organization.81: 867-76.
- Roy, A.(2004).Lethal silver haired bat rabies virus infection can be prevented by opening the blood –brain barrier.
- J. Virol. 81(15): 7993-8.
- Ruprachet, A. (1991). Epidemiology of rabies in human beings. J. Wildl. Dis. 27: 337-39.
- Sudarshan, K.,Hooper, D.C and Malhotra, S. (1995).Advances in Neural Sciences. ISBN: 1928-1-55938-625-8.
- Sudarshan, M.K.(1995).Infection of rabies in women and their infants. Clin Inf Dis. 20 (4): 818-821.
- Tripathi, K.K. and Madhusudana, S.N. (1989). Safety of equine rabies immune globulin. Vaccine. 7: 372-373.
- Veeraraghavan, N. (1970). Annual report. Director, Pasteur Institute of Southern India. Coonoor, Madras. Diocesan
- Press. pp : 35-42.
- World Health Organization. (1996) World Survey of Rabies No. 32 for the year 1996. Geneva:WHO document EMC/
- Zaheer, Md., Zaidi, S.A.H. and Sinha, S.N. (1970). A clinico- epidemiological study of animal bites with reference to
- rabies. Indian. J. Pub. Hlth. 14: 122-128
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.