Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
EFFECTS OF DIFFERENT SLAUGHTER AGES ON THE FATTENING PERFORMANCE, SLAUGHTER AND CARCASS TRAITS OF BROWN SWISS AND HOLSTEIN FRIESIAN YOUNG BULLS
- Akbulut,O. and Tuzemen N. (1994). Fattening performance and carcass characteristics of Brown Swiss, Holstein and Simmental young bulls subjected to fattening at 8 12 month age. Atatürk Ü. Zir. Fak. Derg., 25:134-144.
- Akcan, A., Alpan O., and Arpacýk R. (1992). The effects of tapioca and canola supplemented rations on fattening, slaughtering and carcass characteristics in Brown and Holstein bulls. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 16:315-326.
- Aksoy, A., Kirmizibayrak T. and Saatci M. (2006). The effect of age on slaughter and carcass characteristics in male Zavot cattle. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 30:527-532.
- Boggs, D.L. and Merkel R.A. (1984). Live Animal Carcass Evaluation and Selection Manual. 2nd Ed. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co. Dubuque, Iowa (USA). 215 p.
- Campodoni, G., Preziuso G., Berni P. and Pellegrini S. (1997). Effects of rearing system and age at slaughter on the performance of entire and castrated Chianina calves. 1. Growth, slaughter and carcass traits. Rivista di Scienze dell’Alimentazione, 26:37-49.
- EEC (1991). Council Regulation EEC No.1026/91 of 22 April 1991 amending Regulation (EEC) No.1280/81 determining the Community scale for the classification of carcasses of adult bovine animals. Official Journal, L106, 2-3.
- Ekiz, B., Kocak O. and Yýlmaz A. (2005). Certain fattening and slaughter characteristics of Holstein, Brown Swiss and Simmental young bulls in Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey. Bulg. J. Agric. Sci., 11:199-206.
- Funghi, R. Pugliese C., Bozzi R. and Lucifero M. (1994). Evaluation of performances of Chianina young bull from 6 to 24 months – 4. Quality parameters of meat. In proc. 7th Int. Congr. on Italian beef cattle contest, Perugia, Italy.
- Hessle, A., Nadeau E. and Johnson S. (2007). Beef heifer production as affected by indoor feed intensity and slaughter age when grazing semi-natural grasslands in summer. Liv. Sci., 111:124-135.
- Judge M., Aberle E., Forrest J., Hedrick H., and Merkel R. (1994). Principles of Meat Science (3rd edition), Kendall/ Hunt Publishing Co., USA.
- Kang, S.W., Jeong H.Y., Ahn B.S., Oh Y.K. and Son Y.S. (2004). Effects of feeding type of concentrates during growing period and slaughter age on growth performance, feed efficiency and carcass characteristics in growing- fattening Holstein steers. J. Anim. Sci. Tech., 46:989-998.
- NMSU (1977). Standards for Beef Color. New Mexico State University, Agricultural Experiment Station, Research Report:336. Western Regional Research Publication, Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA.
- NRC (1996). Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 7th Ed., National Academy Press, Washington DC. USA.
- Onenc, A. (2004). A comparison of Holstein Friesian, Brown Swiss and Eastern Anatolian Red cattle slaughtered in Turkey for carcass conformation and fatness in SEUROP system. Czech J. Anim. Sci., 49:169-176.
- Ozdogan, M. (2007). A research on some fattening performance parameters of Holstein Friesian and Brown Swiss young bulls under summer season conditions in Aydýn Province. Hayvansal Üretim, 48:1-6.
- Ozhan, M., Tuzemen,N. and Yanar, M. (2011). Cattle Production. 6th Ed., Atatürk Univ. College of Agriculture Press, Erzurum, Turkey.
- Ozluturk, A., Tuzemen N., Yanar M., Esenbuga N. and Dursun E. (2004). Fattening performance, carcass traits and meat quality characteristics of calves sired by Charolais, Simmental and Eastern Anatolian Red sires mated to Eastern Anatolian Red dams. Meat Sci., 67:463-470.
- Plessis, I. and Hoffman L.C. (2007). Effect of slaughter age and breed on the carcass traits and meat quality of beef steers finished on natural pasture in the arid subtropics of South Africa. South African J. Anim. Sci., 37:143-153.
- Preziuso, G. and Russo C. (2004). Meat quality traits of longissimus thoracis, semitendinosus and biceps brachii muscles from Chianina beef cattle slaughtered at two different ages. Ital. J. Anim. Sci., 3:267-273.
- Sargentini, C., Bozzi R., Giangiacomo G., Degl’Innocenti P., Martini A. and Giorgetti A. (2010). Productive performances of Maremmana young bulls reared following organic rules and slaughtered at 18 and 24 months of age. Ital. J. Anim. Sci., 9:163-168.
- Shackelford, S.D., Koohmaraie M., and Wheeler T.L. (2011). Effects of slaughter age an meat tenderness and USDA carcass maturity scores of beef females. J. Anim. Sci., 73:3304-3309.
- Sinclair, K.D., Cuthbertson A., Rutter A. and Franklin M.F. (1998). The effects of age at slaughter, genotype and finishing system on the organoleptic properties and texture of bull beef from suckled calves. Anim. Sci., 66:329-340.
- SPSS (2004). SPSS 13.0 for windows, release 13.0. Chicago, IL, USA.
- Tuzemen, N., Yanar M., Tellioðlu S. and Emsen H. (1990). A comparative study on the fattening performances and carcass characteristics of Simmental, Holstein, Brown Swiss and Norvegian Red X Brown Swiss crossbred young bulls. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 14:47-54.
- Yavuz, H.M. (1991). A comparison of fattening performance between Holstein and Brown Swiss bulls and effects of initial weight on the fattening performance. Lalahan Zoot. Arast. Enst. Derg., 31:17-26.
- Yildiz, N., Akbulut O., and Bircan H. (2002). Intoduction to Statistics. 3rd Ed. Aktif Pub. Co., Erzurum, Turkey.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.