Age dependent variation in oviduct and ovary of desi fowls from post-natal stage to adulthood
Citation :- Age dependent variation in oviduct and ovary of desi fowls from post-natal stage to adulthood .Bhartiya Krishi Anusandhan Patrika.2017.(32):133-138
This experiment was to investigate the development pattern of oviduct in different breeds of Indian native Desi fowl from post natal stage to adult hood. One hundred and eighty [60 from each breed, i.e., Kadaknath (KN), Aseel peela (AP), and White leghorn (WLH)] day-old female chicks were randomly divided into nine groups each of 20 chicks (3 groups × 3 replicates). WLH was taken in this study to compare the characteristics of Indian native Desi fowl. Irrespective of the breed, a rapid increase (P<0.05) in the body weight was observed up to 18 wks of age. There after growth rate was slow. Overall within breed maximum body weight was recorded in AP followed by WLH and KN. Development of ovary and oviduct were noticed clearly around 18 wks of age in WLH. In case of KN, it was found around 24 wk of age. The development of female reproductive system of AP was observed around 28 weeks of age. At the peak of sexual maturity, around 30 wk of age, total length of the oviduct ranging from 66-73 cm was investigated in the different breeds of hen. From the result it may be concluded that reproductive system in WLH hen developed earlier (18 wks) followed by KN (24 wks) and AP (28 wks).
oviduct and ovary
- Amin, S.O. and Gilbert, A.B. (1970). Cellular changes in the anterior petuitary of the domestic fowl during growth sexual maturity and laying. British Poultry Science 11: 451-458.
- Biswas, A., Mohan, J. and Sastry, K.V.H. (2010). Age-Dependent Variation in Hormonal Concentration and Biochemical Constituents in Blood Plasma of Indian Native Fowl. Veterinary Medicine International, Article ID 737292, 5 pages, doi:10.4061/2010/737292.
- Duncan, B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11: 1-12.
- Etches, R.J. (1974). Plasma testosterone during the ovulation cycle of the chicken. Proceedings of the XV World’s Poultry Congress, New Orleans, pp. 517-518.
- Etches, R.J. (1990). The ovulatory cycle of the hen. CRC Critical Review Poultry Biology 2: 293-318.
- Etches, R.J. (1996). The male. In: Reproduction in poultry. CAB International, Willingford, Oxon OX 8DE, UK. pp.208-233.
- Hafez, E.S.E. (1995). Reproduction in farm animals. 6th Edition, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, USA.
- Hutchison, R.E., Hinde, R.A. and Bendon, B. (1968). Oviduct development and its relation to other aspects of reproduction in the domestic canaries. Journal of Zoology London 155:87-102
- Jaccoby, S., Snapir, N., Rozenboim, I., Arnon, E., Meidan, R. and Robinzon, B. (1992). Tamoxifen advances puberty in the white leghorn hen. British Poultry Science 33:101-111.
- Johnson, P.A., Johnson, A.L. and Tienhoven, V. A. (1988). Evidence for a positive feedback interaction between progesterone and LH in the induction of ovulation in the hen (Gallus domesticus). Gen. Comp. Endocrinology 58: 478-485.
- Kelany, A.M., Elshamy, S.A., Abou-Elmagd, A., Kamel, G., Selim, A.A. and El-Bab, M.R.E. (1993). Veterinary Bulletin 63: 7551.
- Lang, G.E., Etches, R.J. and Walton, J.S. (1984). Effects of LH, progesterone, testosterone, estradiol and corticosterone on ovulation and LH release in hens treated with aminoglutethimide. Biology Reproduction 30: 278-288.
- Lin, Y.F., Chang, S.J., Yang, J.R., Lee, Y.P. and Hsu, A.L. (2005). Effects of supplemental vitamin E during the mature period on the reproduction performance of Taiwan native chicken cockerels. British Poultry Science 46: 366-372.
- Robinson, F.E., Etches, R. (1986). Ovarian steroidogenesis during follicular maturation in the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). Biology Reproduction 33: 1096-1105.
- Singh, D.P. (2005). Indigenous germplasm: Role in improving poultry production. XXIII Annual conference and National Symposium (IPSACON-2005): pp: 182-186.
- Singh, R.A. (1990). Poultry production, 2nd edition. Kalyani Publishers, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110002, India.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. 8th Edition. Oxford and IBH Publication Company. Kolkata, India.
- Sturkie, P.D. (1965). Avian Physiology, 3rd Edition, Springer-Verlag, New York, USA.
- Wilson, S.C. and Sharp, P.J. (1976). The effects of progesterone on oviposition and ovulation in the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). British Poultry Science 17: 163-173.