Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Full Research Article
Farmers’ Farm Performance is Correlated with the Dimensions of Relationship Marketing: A Study in Bangladesh
First Online 04-05-2022|
Methods: A validated survey instrument was used for data collection and 356 paddy farmers were interviewed applying systematic random sampling from the district of Mymensingh in Bangladesh. Partial Least Square Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) was used in data analysis.
Result: The findings revealed that trust, communication and satisfaction had direct relationships with farmers’ farm performance. It was also revealed that satisfaction was a mediator in the indirect relationship between trust and performance. In enhancing farmer’s farm performance, this study suggested that it would be beneficial to practice a long-term relationship marketing strategy instead of a traditional marketing approach in the agriculture context.
- Ahmad, R. (2017). Agricultural credit, extension service marginal farmers have least access. The Daily Star. 5 October. https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/marginal-farmers- have-least-access-1471696.
- Alrubaiee, L. and Al-Nazeer, N. (2010). Investigate the impact of relationship marketing orientation on Customer Loyalty: The Customer’s Perspective. International Journal of Marketing Studies. 2(1): 155-174.
- Batt, P.J. (2003). Building trust between growers and market agents. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 8(1): 65-78.
- Benouakrim, H. and Kandoussi, F.E. (2013). Relationship marketing: Literature review. International Journal of Science and Research. 2(10): 148-152.
- Bich, L.N., Tuoi N.T., Batt P.J. (2016). The extent to which downstream buyers are able to fulfill flower farmers needs in Dalat. Dalat University Journal of Science. 6(3): 345-355.
- Bojei, J., Radam A., Abu, M.L. (2012). The underlying dimensions of relationship marketing in the Malaysian mobile service sector. 3rd International Conference on Business and Economic Research, 12-13 March, Bandung, Indonesia. pp. 972-991.
- Boniface, B. (2011). Producers segmentation and the role of long- term relationship in Malaysia’s milk supply chain. Paper presented at Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (AARES), 8-11 February, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Boniface, B., Gyau A., Stringer R., Umberger, W. (2010). Building producer Loyalty in Malaysia’s fresh milk supply chain. Australasian Agribusiness Review. 18(5): 66-84.
- Egan, J. (2011). Relationship marketing: Exploring relational strategies in marketing. 4th ed. Pearson Education, London.
- Etuk, S.G. (2018). Two-Way Communication and Customer Loyalty: A Relationship Marketing Approach. Journal of Economics and Management Sciences. 1(3): 75-81.
- Ghazinejad, M., Hussein, B.A., Zidane, Y.J. (2018). Impact of trust, commitment and openness on research project performance: Case study in a research institute. Social Science.7 (2):1-11.
- Hair, J.F., Ringle C.M., Sarstedt M. (2013). Partial least squares structural equation modeling: Rigorous applications, better results and higher acceptance. Long Range Planning. 46 (1-2): 1-12.
- Hilary, R.S., Kibwika, P., Sseguya, H. (2017). Partnership construction and value co-creation to address voids in rice production: The case of rice value chains in Uganda. Cogent Food andAgriculture. 3(1). Doi:10.1080/23311932.2017.1312087.
- Hoque M.M. (2019). Giving paddy farmers their due share. The Financial Express, 24 May, Available: https://the financial express.com.bd/views/giving-paddy-farmers- their-due-share-1558708387.
- Horo, A.(2021). Market integration and price transmission amongst the major wholesale and retail markets of lentil (Lens culinaris / Lens esculenta) in India. Agricultural Science Digest. 41 (Special Issue): 137-143. DOI: 10.18805/ag.D-5180.
- Islam K.K., Fujiwara T., Sato N., Hyakumura K.(2018). Evolving and strengthening the cooperative approach for agroforestry farmers in Bangladesh: Lessons learned from the Shimogo cooperative in Japan. Sustainability. 10(3): 617.
- Kavak, B., Sertoğlu, A.E., Tektaş, Ö.Ö. (2016). The Moderating effect of knowledge transfer on satisfaction-performance relationship. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 6(5): 49-63.
- Lobo, A., Leckie C., Li C. (2013). The impact of guanxi, xinyong and buyer collaboration on the loyalty and fnancial performance of vegetable farmers in China. Asia Paciûc Journal of Marketing and Logistics. 25(5): 745-764.
- Mao, H., Fu, Y., Cao, G., Chen, S. (2021). Contract Farming, Social Trust and Cleaner Production Technology Adoption by Broiler Farmers in China. DOI:10.21203/rs.3.rs-404406/v1.
- Mbango, P. (2017). Business-To- Business Framework of Relationship Marketing in The South African Cement Manufacturing Industry. Academy of Marketing Studies Journal, 21(1):113.
- Miah, M.R. and Moniruzzaman, M. (2020). Selling pattern and marketing system of Boro paddy in Purbadhalaupazila of Netrakona district in Bangladesh. Progressive Agriculture, 31 (2): 104-118.
- Mujeri, M.K. (2019). Fair prices for farmers: Simple idea but complex reality. The Financial Express, 3 June. https://www.the financialexpress.com. bd/views/fair-prices-for-rice-farmers- simple-idea-but-complex-reality-1559575964.
- Murshid, K.A.S. (2011). Traditional market institutions and complex exchangeExploring Transition and Change in the Bangladesh Rice Market. Working Paper 1, CPD CMI. Bangladesh- Norway.
- Nauroozi, S. E. and Moghadam, S.K. (2015). The study of relationship marketing with customer satisfaction and loyalty. International Journal of Innovation and Research in Educational Sciences. 2 (2): 2349-5219.
- Ndubisi, N.O., Malhotra N.K., Wah C.K. (2009). Relationship marketing, customer satisfaction and loyalty: A theoretical and empirical analysis from an Asian perspective. Journal of International Consumer Marketing. 21: 15-16.
- Palmatier, R.W., Dant R.P., Grewal D., Evans K. R. (2006). Factors influencing the effectiveness of relationship marketing: A meta-analysis. Journal of Marketing. 70: 136-153.
- Quddus, A. and Kropp, J.D. (2020). Constraints to Agricultural Production and Marketing in the Lagging Regions of Bangladesh. Sustainability. 12(10): 1-24.
- Rahman, S.M., Takeda J. and Shiratake Y. (2005). The role of marketing in standard of living a case study of rice farmers in Bangladesh. Journal of Applied Science. 5(1): 195-201.
- Ray, N. (2018). Problems farmers facing in harvesting crops. The financial Express. 13 May. https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/ views/problems-farmers-facing-in-harvesting-crops- 1526229150.
- Sheth, J. N., Parvatiyar, A., Sinha M. (2015). The conceptual foundations of relationship marketing: Review and synthesis. Journal of Economic Sociology-Ekonomicheskaya Sotsiologiya. 16(2): 119-149.
- Sin, L.Y.M., Tse, A.C.B., Chan, H., Heung, V.C.S., Yim, F.H.K. (2006). The effect of relationship marketing orientation on business performance in the hotel industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research. 30(4): 407-426.
- Sultana, A. (2012). Rice marketing in Bangladesh: From the perspective of village study at Cox’s Bazar district. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 7(45): 5995 -6004.
- Tarigan, J. and Hatane, S.E. (2019). The Influence of Customer Satisfaction on Financial Performance through Customer Loyalty and Customer Advocacy: A Case Study of Indonesia’s Local Brand. Proceding from the International Conference on Economics, Education, Business and Accounting, KnE Social Sciences.
- Villena, V.H., Choi, T.Y. and Revilla, E. (2019). Revisiting interorganizational trust: is more always better or could more be worse? Journal of Management. 45(2): 752-785.
- Yamane, T. (1967). Statistics: An introductory analysis. 2nd ed. Harper and Row, New York.
- Zaefarian, G., Thiesbrummel C., Henneberg S.C., Naudé, P. (2017). Different recipes for success in business relationships. Industrial Marketing Management. 63: 69-81.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.