Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Effect of planting dates and pinching on seed traits in African Marigold cv. Sirakole
First Online 29-12-2015|
A field experiment on the effect of planting dates and pinching on seed production in African marigold cv. Sirakole was carried out during November, 2007 to June, 2008 with four planting dates and three levels of pinching. November planting gave more number of seeds (191.89) and weight of seed per head (0.32g) ,seed yield per plot (272.24 g), 1000 seed weight (1.65g) as well as seed yield (1008.29 kg) per hectare. In addition to these quality traits like germination percentage of seed, root and shoot length of seedlings and vigour index also witnessed significant improvement under this date of planting. Shoot pinching at 30 days after planting was effective in bringing significant improvement in number (173.01) and weight (0.25g) of seeds per head as well as seed yield (309.77 kg) per hectare. Interaction effect of November planting and single pinching improved germination percentage (90.44) and seed vigour index (2098).
- Bhat, Z.A. and Shephered, H. (2007). Effect of pinching on growth, flowering, seed yield and quality traits in African marigold (Tagetes erecta Linn.), J.Ornamental Hort., 3 : 197-198.
- Das, P., Bose, T.K and Panda, S. (1985). Effect of time of sowing on growth, flowering and seed formation in China aster ( Callistephus chinesis Nees.) cv. Ostrich plum white. Orissa J . Hort., 13 : 82 -84.
- Dutt,K.K. and Kumar, R. (2007). Effect of planting time and spacing on growth, flowering and seed yield in Coreopsis lanceolata and Coreopsis tinctoria. J.Ornamental Hort., 10: 105 – 109.
- Dubey, R.K., Kumar R. and Poonam, (2002). Effect of planting time and spacing on Cosmos ( Cosmos sulphureus cav.). J. Ornamental Hort.,New Series 5: 46 -47.
- Kumar, R. and Kaur, K. (2001). Effect of time of planting and nitrogen on Coreopsis. J. Ornamental Hort., New Series,4: 57-58.
- Sunita, H.M., Hunje, R., Vyakaranahal, B.S. and Bablad, H.B. (2007). Effect of pinching and growth regulators on plant growth, flowering and seed yield in African marigold (Tagetes erecta Linn.). J. Ornamental Hort., 10 (2): 91-95.
- Tomar, B.S., (2002). Effect of planting dates on seed yield in marigold. Proceedings of abstract. National Symposium on Indian Floriculture in the new Millennium , Feb. 25 -27: 74.
- Tomar, B.S., Singh, B., Negi, H.C.S. and Singh , K.K., (2004). Effect of pinching on seed yield and quality traits in African marigold , J. Ornamental Hort., 7:124-126.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.