EFFECf OF SOWING OFTIME AND GRADED N LEVELS ON MORPHOLOGICAL CHARACfERS AND SEED COlTON YIELD
Citation :- EFFECf OF SOWING OFTIME AND GRADED N LEVELS ON MORPHOLOGICAL CHARACfERS AND SEED COlTON YIELD.Agricultural Science Digest.2004.(24):166·169
A field experiment was undertaken to quantify the effect of date of sowing and N levels on the morphological traits and yield in cotton cv. LRA 5166 under protective irrigated conditions of Coimbatore. The study revealed that sowing of cotton during first fortnight of September had beneficial effect on the morphological traits viz. plant height, number of nodes, leaves per plant, leaf area index and dry matter accumulation and seed cotton yield. The increase in N level also had a synergist effect with time of sowing and thereby a positive effect on seed cotton yield. Nitrogen mediated integration of growth and development led to higher productivity. The yield response was noticed upto 90 kg N/ha. There was no improvement in productivity for the further increase in N level.
- Bison, P. et al. (1994). In: Proc. of World Cotton Corp. on Challenging the Future, Constable and Forrester, NW.
- (eds.) held at Brisbane, Australia during 14-17'h Feb. 1994, pp 115-124.
- Soquet, D.J. et al. (1993). Crop Sci., 85: 34-39.
- Chhabra, K.L. and Bishnoi, K.C. (1993). J. Cotton Res. Dev., 7: 10-1-109.
- Ishwar Singh and Chouhan, G.S. (1993). Indian J. Agron., 38: 93-96.
- Kumara Perumal. N. (1999). Indian J. Plant PhysioJ., 4: 65-67.
- Manney, J.R. (1979). In: Cotton Physiology Conf. Proc. Beltwide Cotton Prod. Conf-Phoenix. AZ 7-11 Jan 1979.
- National Cotton Council of America, Memphis, pp 256-261.
- Nagwekar, S.N. et al . (1987). J. Indian Soc. Cotto II1JProv., 12(1): 34-36.
- Tomar, S.P.S. etal. (1989). Indian J. Agron., 34: 316-317