Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Correlation between body condition score and hormone level of Bali cattle with postpartum anestrus
First Online 17-07-2018|
- Abrele, D.E., Forrest, J.C., Gerrard, D.E. and Mills E.W. (2001). Principles of Meat Science. 4thEd. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Fransisco.
- Abraham, F. (2017). An overview on functional causes of infertility in cows. JFIV. Reprod. Med. Genet. 5(203): 1-6.
- Agarwal, R., Rout, P.K., and Singh, S.K. (2009). Leptin: A Biomolecule for enhancing livestock productivity. Indian J. Biotechnol. 8: 169-176.
- Ahmadzadeh, A., Carnahan, K. and Autran, C. (2011). Understanding puberty and postpartum anestrus. Proceeding, Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle. Boise, ID Pp: 45-60
- Barb, C.R and Kraeling, R.R. (2004). Role of Leptin in the regulation of gonadotropin secretion in farm animals. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 82-83: 155-167.
- Bewley, J.M., and Schutz, M.M. 2008. Review: An Interdisciplinary Review of Body Condition Scoring for Dairy Cattle. The Professional Animal Scientist. 24: 507–529
- Berardinelli, J. (2007). Management Practices to Overcome Problems with Puberty and Anestrus. Proceedings, Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle. Billings, MT.
- Chagas, L.M., Bass, J.J., Blache, D., Burke, C.R., Kay, J.K., Lindsay, D.R., et al (2007). New perspectives on the roles of nutrition and metabolic priorities in the subfertility of high-producing dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 90: 4022-4032.
- Chandra, G., Aggarwal, A., Singh, A.K., Kumar, M., Kushwaha, R., Singh, A., and Singh Y.K. (2011). Negative energy balance and reproduction: A review. Indian J. Agric. Rev. 32(4): 246-254.
- Colakoglu, H.E., Polat, I.M., Vural, M.R., Kuplulu, S., Pekcan, M., Yazlik, M.O., and Baklac, C. (2017). Associations between Leptin, body condition score, and energy metabolites in Holstein primiparous and multiparous cows from 2 to 8 weeks postpartum. Revue. Med. Vet. 168(4-6): 93-101.
- de Jong, G., and Hamoen, A. (2009). Body condition score, an extra service from hedbook organization for farmers and cattle improvement. NRS The Netherlands, Pp: 1-6.
- Fay, R., Barbraud, C., Delord, K., and Weimerskirch, H. (2016). Variation in the age of first reproduction: different strategies or individual quality? Ecology. 97(7): 1842-1851.
- Gao, Q., and Horvath, T.L. (2008). Cross-talk between estrogen and Leptin signaling in the hypothalamus. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 294: 817-826.
- Garcia, M.D., Casanueva, F.F., Dieguez, C., and Senaris, R.M. (2000). Gestational profile of Leptin messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) content in the placenta and adipose tissue in the rat, and regulation of the mRNA levels of the Leptin receptor subtypes in the hypothalamus during pregnancy and lactation. Biol. Reprod. 62: 698-703.
- Ginther, O.J., Beg, M.A., Bergfelt, D.R., Donadeu, F.X., Kot, K. (2001). Follicle selection in monovular species. Biol. Reprod. 65(3): 638-647.
- Hess, B.W., Lake, S.L., Scholljegerdes, E.J., Weston, T.R., Nayigihugu, V., Molle, J.D.C. and Moss, G.E. (2005). Nutritional controls of beef cow reproduction. J. Anim. Sci. 83(Suppl): 90-106.
- Holtenius, K., Agenas, S., Gustafsson, H., Delavaud, C. and Chilliard, Y. (2002). The effect of feeding intensity during the dry period on plasma Leptin and time to return to cyclicity in dairy cows. J. Anim. Sci. 57(12): 562-572.
- Hudson, C. (2011). Understanding the factors affecting dairy cow fertility. BMJ. Vet. Rec. 168(11): 299-300.
- Kadokawa, H., Blache, D., and Martin, G.B. 2006. Plasma Leptin concentrations correlate with luteinizing hormone secretion in early postpartum Holstein cows. J. Dairy. Sci. 89: 3020-3027.
- Kamal, M.M., Bhuiyan, M.M.U., Parveen, N., Momont, H.W., and Shamsuddin, M. (2014). Risk factors for postpartum anestrus in crossbred cows in Bangladesh. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 38: 151-156.
- Kitwaki, J., Kusuki, I., Koshiba, H., Tsukamoto, K., and Honjo, H. (1999). Leptin directly stimulates aromatase activity in human luteinized granulosa cells. Mol. Hum. Reprod. 5(8): 708-713.
- Klopcic, M., Hamoen, A., and Bewley, J. (2011). Body condition scoring of dairy cows. University of Ljubljana.
- Laksmi, D.N.D.I. (2016). The role of Leptin in inducing estrus on Bali cattle experiencing postpartum anestrus. Thesis Dissertation. Postgraduate Program. Universitas Udayana. Bali.
- Liefers, S. (2004). Physiology and genetics of Leptin in periparturient dairy cows. Thesis Dissertation. Animal Breeding and Genetics, Wageningen University, Wageningen and Division of Animal Resources Development, Animal Sciences Group, Lelystad.
- Martojo, H. (2012). Indigenous Bali cattle is most suitable for sustainable small farming in Indonesia. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 47(1): 10-14.
- Mashalji, P., Siddiqui, M.F., Channa, G.R., Ingle, V.S., and Kankarne, Y.G. (2016). Correlation of body condition score, weight, measurements and effect of parity and stage of lactation on milk parameters of Gir cows. Indian J. Anim. Res. 50(2) 2016:255-259.
- Maurya, P.K., Singh, A.K., Chaudhari, B.K., Kumar, D., Sharma, R.K., and Kumar, A. (2012). Effect of Leptin on metabolic hormones, energy metabolites, immunity and reproduction in farm animals - A review. Indian J. Agric. Rev. 33(4):
- Montiel, F., and Ahuja, C. (2005). Body condition and suckling as factors influencing the duration of postpartum anestrus in cattle: A review. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 85:1-26.
- Nagvekar, A.S., Deshmukh, B.T., Jagtap, D.B., and Ingole, S.D. (2014). Profile of growth hormone, FSH, LH and steroid hormones during gestation in Murrah buffalo. Indian J. Anim. Res. 49(4): 546-549.
- Nikolic, D., Muresan, R.C., Feng, W., and Singer, W. (2012). Scaled correlation analysis: a better way to compute a cross-correlogram. Eur. J. Neurosci. 35(5): 742-762
- Nugroho, H., Busono, W., and Maylinda, S. (2017). Polymorphisms of the Myostatin gene (MSTN) and its association with growth traits in Bali cattle. Indian J. Anim. Res. 51(5): 817-820.
- Olsen, J.R. (2009). Changes in temporal Leptin concentrations and other metabolic factors in primiparous, postpartum, anestrous, suckled, beef cows. Thesis. Animal and Range Sciences. Montana State University. Bozeman, Montana
- Opsomer, and de kruif, A. (1999). Postpartum anestrus in dairy cattle: a review. Tierarztl Prax Ausg G Grosstiere Nutztiere. 27(1): 30-35.
- Pemayun, T.G.O., Putra S., and Puger, W. (2014). Reproduction Performance of Bali cattle on three strata forage system. J. Kedokteran Hewan. 8(1): 61-63.
- Reed, B.G., and Carr, B.R. (2015). The normal menstrual cycle and the control of ovulation. NCBI Bookshelf. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. Pp: 1-31.
- Scott, P. (2017). Condition Score (BCS) in Beef Herds. Animal Health Skills, NADIS, Pp: 1-5.
- Senger, P.L. (2003). Fertility factors: Which ones are really important? Proceedings of the 6th Western Dairy Management Conference, Reno-NV, Pp: 89-106.
- Suartini, N.K., trilaksana, I.G.N.B., and Pemayun, T.G.O. (2013). The levels of estrogen and the onset of estrous after administration of Buserelin (GnRH Agonist) on Bali cattle experiencing anestrous postpartum due to ovarian hypofunction. J. Ilmu Kedokteran Hewan. 1(2): 40-44.
- Sutarno and Setyawan, A.D. (2015). Genetic diversity of local and exotic cattle and heir cross breeding impact on the quality of Indonesian cattle. Biodiversitas. 16(2): 327-354.
- Suwiti, N.K., Besung, I.N.K., and mahardika, G.N. (2017). Factors influencing growth hormone levels of Bali cattle in Bali, Nusa Penida, and Sumbawa Islands, Indonesia. Vet. World. 10(10): 1250-1254.
- Syafnir, Hashida, N.H., Noraida, I., Normala, T., Hassan, Z., and Fuad, M. (2010). Effects of farming system and body condition score on fertility performances in synchronized cattle. Indian J. Anim. Res. 44(1): 28-31.
- Vargova, M., Kovac, G. (2016). Periparturient period in terms of body condition score and selected parameters of hormonal profiles. Folia. Vet. 1: 63-69.
- Walsh, R.B., Kelton, D.F., Hietala, S.K., and Duffield, T.F. (2013). Evaluation of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays performed on milk and serum samples for detection of neosporosis and leukosis in lactating dairy cows. Can. Vet. J. 54(4): 347–352.
- Williams, C.J., and Erickson, G.F. (2012). Morphology and physiology of the ovary. NCBI Bookshelf. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. Pp: 1-63
- Zieba, D.A., Amstalden, M., Morton, S., Gallino, J.L., Edwards, J.F., Harms, P.G., and Williams, G.L. (2003). Effects of Leptin on basal and GHRH-Stimulated GH Secretion from the bovine adenohypophysis are dependent upon nutritional status. J. Endocrinol. 178: 83-89.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.