Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Acute heat stress in broiler chickens and its impact on serum biochemical and electrolyte parameters
First Online 29-07-2017|
Biochemical and electrolyte parameters play an assistant role for the faster and realistic evaluation of multiple organ dysfunction. The present study was designed to investigate the changes in serum biochemical and electrolyte parameters of Arbor Acres (AA) broiler chickens during acute heat stress. AA broiler chickens (N=120) were randomly allocated to four groups: control group at 22 ± 1 °C and heat stress group at 2 h, 5h and 10h, respectively (HS2, HS5, and HS10) at 38±1°C. All groups of serum electrolyte and biochemical parameters, including serum concentrations of sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, total protein, albumin, total bilirubin (TBIL), direct bilirubin (DBIL), blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, amylase, cholesterol, alanine transaminase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), creatine kinase (CK), and alkaline phosphatase (ALP) were measured. These results indicated that heat stress have significant (p <0.05) effect on serum biochemical and electrolyte parameters of broiler chickens, which assist preliminary evaluation of the damage degree of corresponding organs.
- Amrutkar, S. A., Saxena, V. K. and Tomar, S. (2016). Influence of different tropical stress conditions on biochemical parameters invarious broiler strains. Indian J. Anim. Res. 50(1): 945-955.
- Azad, M.A.K., Kikusato, M., Maekawa, T., Shirakawa, H. and Toyomizu, M. (2010). Metabolic characteristics and oxidative damage to skeletal muscle in broiler chickens exposed to chronic heat stress. Comp. Biochem. Phys. A. 155(3): 401-406.
- Belay, T. and Teeter, R.G. 1996. Effects of ambient temperature on broiler mineral balance partitioned into urinary and faecal loss. Brit. Poultry Sci. 37: 423-433.
- Duncan, D. B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple f tests. Biometrics,11(1): 1-42.
- Gupta, R., Kaur, D., Chopra, S., Nagra, S. S., Rai, D. R. and Patil, R. T. (2014). Performance analysis of the broiler chicks under different cooling devices during hot-dry summer. Indian J. Anim. Res., 48(5): 480-485.
- Habibian, M., Ghazi, S., Moeini, M. and Abdolmohammadi, A.R. (2014). Effects of dietary selenium and vitamin E on immune response and biological blood parameters of broilers reared under thermo neutral or heat stress conditions. Int. J. Biometeorol. 58:741-752.
- Hosseinivashan, S. J., Golian, A. and Yaghobfar, A. (2016). Growth, immune, antioxidant, and bone responses of heat stress-exposed broilers fed diets supplemented with tomato pomace. International Journal of Biometeorology, 60(8): 1183-1192.
- Hsueh, C.J., Wang, J.H., Dai, L. and Liu, C.C. (2011). Determination of alanine aminotransferase with an electrochemical nano ir-C biosensor for the screening of liver diseases. Biosensors. 1(3):107-117.
- Koeppen, B.M. (2009). The kidney and acid-base regulation. A.J.P. Advan. Phy. Edu. 33(4): 275-281.
- Lunn, D.P. and Mcguirk, S.M. 1990. Renal regulation of electrolyte and acid-base balance in ruminants. Vet. Clin. N. Am. Food A. 6(1): 1-28.
- Ma, J. (2014). Lycopene reduces the negative effects induced by lipopolysaccharide in breeding hens. Brit. Poultry Sci. 55(5): 628.
- Mujahid, A., Yoshiki, Y., Akiba, Y. and Toyomizu, M. (2005). Superoxide radical production in chicken skeletal muscle induced by acute heat stress. Poult. Sci. 84:307-314
- Oche, O., Sani, I., Chiaka, N.G., Samuel, N.U. and Samuel, A. (2014). Pancreatic islet regeneration and some liver biochemical parameters of leaf extracts of Vitex doniana, in normal and streptozotocin–induced diabetic albino rats. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Med. 4(2):124-130.
- Sahin, K. (2002). Optimal dietary concentration of vitamin e for alleviating the effect of heat stress on performance, thyroid status, acth and some serum metabolite and mineral concentrations in broilers. Vet. Med-CZECH. 47(4): 110-116.
- Sasipriya, G. and Siddhuraju, P. 2013. Evaluation of growth performance, serum biochemistry and haematological parameters on broiler birds fed with raw and processed samples of entada scandens, canavalia gladiata and canavalia ensiformis seed meal as an alternative protein source.Trop. Anim. Health Pro. 45(3): 811-20.
- Sayed, M.A.M. and Scott, T.A. (2007). Maintaining electrolyte and water balance to alleviate heat stress in broiler chickens. Australian Poultry Science Symposium. pp23-26.
- Shioji, N., Hayashi, M. and Morimatsu, H. (2016). kidney, fluid, and acid-base balance. Masui the Japanese Journal of Anesthesiology, 65(5): 503.
- Smith, M.O. (2003). Effects of different levels of zinc on the performance and immunocompetence of broilers under heat stress. Poult Sci. 82(10):1580-1588.
- Wan, X., Jiang, L., Zhong, H., Lu, Y., Zhang, L. and Wang, T. (2017). Effects of enzymatically treated artemisia annua l. on growth performance and some blood parameters of broilers exposed to heat stress. Anim. Sci. J. DOI: 10.1111/asj.12766.
- Wilding, P. and Dawson, H.F. (1967). Human serum amylase: a brief biochemical evaluation. Clin. Biochem. 1: 101-109.
- Winslet, M., Hall, C., London, N.J. and Neoptolemos, J.P. (1992). Relation of diagnostic serum amylase levels to aetiology and severity of acute pancreatitis. Gut. 33(7): 982-986.
- Ye, W.Q., Du, B.W., Li, D.H. and Li, N.B. (2015). Establishment of experimental animal models of kirin chicken(chicken feather volume)liver injury induced by heat stress. China Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Medicine. 42(3):741-744. DOIÿ10.16431/ j.cnki.1671-7236.2015.03.036.
- Zhang, X.H., Zhu, H.S., Qian, Z., Tang, S., Wu, D., Kemper, N., Hartung, J. and Bao, E.D. (2015). The association of hsp90 expression induced by aspirin with anti-stress damage in chicken myocardial cells. J. Vet. Sci. 17(1): 35-44.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.