Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effects of Clomiphene Citrate (CC) and Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) on hormonal profile, serum biochemical constituents, and oxidative stress in pre-pubertal Sahiwal heifers
First Online 29-07-2017|
Clomiphene citrate(an anti-estrogen) has the abilities for the secretion of gondaotropin from the anterior pituitary gland. The present study was designed to investigate the effects of CC and hCG on female sex hormones (FSH, Estrogen) and serum biochemical constituents in pre-pubertal Sahiwal heifers. The twelve animals were randomly divided into a) treatment and b) control groups. These animals were grouped on the basis of reproductive status of heifers. The animals in treatment group were fed clomiphene citrate with dose of 300mg/ animal for 9 days. On 10thday of experiment, hCG (IVF-C 5000 iu (hCG) LG Life Sciences, Korea) was injected I/V to both groups. For the serum biochemical constituent’s evaluation and oxidative stress (MDA), blood on day 0, 14 and 28 was collected. Similarly, for hormones evaluation three blood samples per week (on alternate days) for 9 days were collected. The concentrations of both hormones were assessed by ELISA. For the comparison of variables, student t-test was applied. Analysis of data revealed that levels of hormones were higher in treated animals as compared to control. There was significant (p< 0.05) increase in total cholesterol, triglycerides total protein and sugar.But there was nonsignificant(p> 0.05) effect on liver enzymes (ALT and AST) and MDA. It was concluded that use of CC and hCG increase the FSH and estrogen and few alterations in serum biochemical constituents in the pre-pubertal Sahiwal heifers.
- AL-attabi, M.R.S. and AL-diwan M.A. (2014). The protective role of clomiphene citrate against the hormonal disturbances caused by atrazine exposure in adult male rats. Wasit J. for Sci. &Medi. 7(3): 155-163.
- Yen, S.S.C., Jaffe. R.B., and Barbieri, R.L., (Eds). (1999).Reproductive Endocrinology-Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Clinical Management, 4th Edition, WB Saunders, Philadelphia. 563-593
- Berna, G.S., Ketani, M.A., Nergiz, Y., Iljaz, C., Akkus M., and ketani S. (2008). The effects of clomiphene citrate administration in ovariectomised rats: AnUtrastuctural study. J. Biol. Sci. 8:60-66.
- Chaudhuri, C., Mukherjea M., and Chakraborty B.N. (1990). Biochemical studies following ovulation induction with clomiphene citrate and human menopausal gonadotropin in infertile Indian women. Int. J. Fertil. 35(1):58-64.
- Chaube, S.K., Prasad P.V.,. Thakur S.C., and.Srivastav T.G. (2005). Estradiol protects clomiphene Citrate-Induced apoptosis in ovarian follicular cells and ovulated cumulus-oocyte Complexes. Fertility and Sterility.84: 1163- 1172.
- Draper, H. and Hadley A. (1990). Malondialdehyde determination as index of lipid peroxidation I. In a method in enzymology: (Packer L, Glazer A.Eds): Academic Press.
- Day, M.L., Imakawa K., Garcia-Winder M., Zalesky, D.D., Schanbacher, B.D., Kittok. R.J., and Kinder J.E. (1984). Endocrine mechanisms of puberty in heifers: estradiol negative feedback regulation of luteinizing hormone secretion. Biol. Reprod. 31:332-341.
- Day, M.L. and Anderson L.H. (1998). Current concepts in the control of puberty in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76(Suppl. 3):1-15.
- Chaube, S.K. (2001).The role of Meiotic Maturation Regulatory Factors in Developmental Competency of Mammalian oocytes. Health and Population Perspect Issues, 24: 218-231.
- Duffy, D.M. and Stouffer R.L.(2003). Luteinizing Hormone Acts Directly at Granulose Cells to Stimulate Periovulatory Processes: Modulation of Luteinizing Hormone Effects by Prostaglandins. Endocrine. 22: 249-256.
- Duffy, D.M., Dozier. B.L., and Seachord C.L.(2005). Prostaglandin Dehydrogenase (PGDH) and Prostaglandin Levels in Preovulatory Follicles: Implications for Control of Primate Ovulation by PGE2. J. of Clinical Endocrin.andMetab. 90: 1021-1027.
- EL-Sherry, T.M., Derar, R., Hussein, H.A., Shahin. A.Y., and Fahmy S. (2011). Effect of clomiphene citrate (CC) on follicular recruitment, development and superovulation during the first follicular wave in Rahmani ewes. Int. J. Edocrinol. Metab.9(3):403-408.
- Fritz, M. and Speroff. L. (2011). Clinical Gyneocology Endocrinology and Infertility. 8th Ed. Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins.1305-1313.
- Haschek, W.M. and Rousseaux C.G.(1998). Fundamentals of toxologic pathology. Academic Press,N.Y.
- Kankal, A.M., Khillare, K.P., Pargaonkar D.R.. and Bakshi S.A.. (2008). Induction of oestrus in anoestrus cows by using non hormonal preparations. J. of Plant. Dis. Sci. 3:97-99.
- Ohaeri, C.C. and Eluwa. M.C. (2011). Abnormal biochemical and hematological indices in trypanosomiasisas a threat to herd production. Vet. Parasitol. 177: 199-202.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. (2013). Use of clomiphine citrate iniInfertile women: A Committee Opinion. Fertility Sterility. 100: 341-348.
- Rehman, U.B., Ali S., Ahmad, N., Khanumb S.A .and Zubair M. (2014). Study on ovulation induction in prepubertal cross bred (Sahiwal X Friesian) heifers using clomiphene citrate and hCG. Ani.Repro. Sci. 149:141–144.
- Reyes, V.S., Velsaco T.S., Cruz. H.J.C., and Fuentes R.A. (2000). Clomiphene acetate and prednisone, the alternative approach for the management of patient with chronic anouvlation and clomiphene treatment failure. Ginecol. Obstet. 68:266-270.
- Ribeiro, R.S. and Abucham. J. (2009). Recovery of persistent hypogonadism by clomiphene in males with prolactinomas under dopamine agonist treatment. Europ.J. of Endo. 161:163–169.
- Sasikala, S.L., Shamila, S., Nagarajan, S., Nisha, J.C., Geetha P., and Raj Kishor. S.(2010). A Comparative study of Ashokarishtam and Clomiphere citrate in combating polycystic ovary syndrome induced oxidative stress in rat. J. of Cell & Tissue Res. 10: 2105-2108.
- Sherlock, H. (1981). Disease of the liver and biliary system 8th ed. Oxford Blackwell scientific publications.
- Shimono, J., Tsuji, H., Azuma, K., Hashiguchi M., and Fujishima M. (1998). A rare case of hepatic injury associated with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 93(1):123-124.
- Siedentopf.F., Horstkamp, B., Stief. G., and Kentenich H. (1997). Clomiphene citrate as a possible cause of a psychotic reaction during infertility treatment. Hum. Reprod. 12(4):706-707.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods, 8th Ed. Oxford and IBH Publishing Company. Calcutta, India. 564.
- Su Huai-De., Gonzalo, J., Mazzei, R., William, R., Vogler.andkuo J.F. (1985). Effect of a tamoxifennonsteroidalantiestrogen, on phospholipid/calcium-dependent protein kinase and phosphorylation of its endogenous substrate proteins from the rat brain and ovary. Biochem.Pharma. 34(20):3649–3653.
- Tripathi, A., Prem Kumar, K.V., Pandey, A.N., Khatun, S., Mishra S.K., and Shrivastava T.G.. (2011). Melatonin Protects against Clomiphine Citrate-Induced Generation of Hydrogen Peroxide and Morphological Apoptotic Changes in Rat Eggs. Europ.J. of Pharma. 667: 419-424
- Wassarman, P.M. and Albertini D.F.(1994). The Mammalian Ovum In: E.Knobil. andJ.D. Neill, Eds; The Physiology of Reproduction, Raven Press, New York. 79-122
- Wael, M. and Al-Amoudi. (2012). Biochemical and Histological Effects of Clomiphene Citrate on Liver of Female Albino Rat. J. of Ameri. Sci. 8(5): 646-651.
- Yasar, H.Y. and Ertuðrul O. (2009). Clomiphene citrate-induced severe hypertriglyceridemia. Fertil.Steril. 92(1):396-398.
- Zaman, S., Zulfiqar S., and Khan. M.S.(2009). Evaluation of clomiphene citrate in serum testosterone & FSH levels and seminal parameters in idiopathic oligospermia. Biomedica.J. 25(13):48 – 51.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.