Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Reproductive performance of different goat breeds in Malaysia
First Online 03-02-2017|
The study was conducted to investigate the effect of a controlled internal drug release (CIDR) device in three goat breeds of Malaysia using Artificial Insemination (AI), on the reproductive performance, which included; Estrus Synchronization (ES), pregnancy, singleton, twin, and mortality rate. Sixty goats were divided in to treatment group (TRE: n = 30) which received CIDR for 9 days and AI was done on 10th day, and a control group (CON: N = 30). Three goat breed, namely, Kambing Katjang (KK), Boer and Jamnapari, (n = 20 to each strain), were used in this study. . . Data were analyzed to determine the effects of CIDR and strain on the reproductive performance of goats. ANOVA or T-test were used to analyze data for the effects of CIDR and breed. Finding showed the using of CIDR and breed may effect of reproductive performance. Results indicated that the CIDR can be used to activate the reproductive system, accelerate estrus cycle, and increase twin rates. Boer strain that might help to improve herd production by producing twins.
- Abecia, J.A., Forcada, F. and González-Bulnes, A. (2012). Hormonal control in small ruminants. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 130: 173–179.
- Ahmed M.M.M., Makawi, S.E. and Jubara, A.S. (1998). Synchronization of estrus in Nubian goats. Small Rumin. Res. 30: 113-120.
- Ariff O.M., Hifzan, R.M., Zuki, A.B.M., Jiken, A.J. and Lehan, S.M. (2010). Maturing pattern for body weight, body length and height at withers of Jamnapari and Boer goats. Pertanika J. Trop. Agric. Sci. 33: 269-276.
- Bearden H.J., Fuquay, J.W. and Willard, S.T. (2004). Applied Animal Reproduction. 6th ed. New Jerssy: Pearson Prentice Hall. Inc Asimon and Schuter CO. Enlewood Cliffs. 247-249.
- Chris Allison and Robert Hagevoort, G. (2014). Artificial Insemination of Dairy Goats. Cooperative Extension Service, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences, NM state university.
- Debele G., Duguma, M. and Hundessa, F. (2011). Effect of different factors on mortality rate of Arsi- Bale kids in Mid Rift Valley of Ethiopia. Global Veterinaria. 6: 56-60.
- Dohare A.K., Singh, B., Bangar, Y., Prasad, S., Kumar, D. and Shakya, G. (2013). Influence of age, sex and season on morbidity and mortality pattern in goats under village conditions of Madhya Pradesh. Veterinary World. 6: 329-331.
- Fierro S., Jorge, G., Vi˜noles, C. and Olivera-Muzante, J. (2013). The use of prostaglandins in controlling estrous cycle of the ewe: a review. Theriogenology. 79: 399–408.
- Freitas V.J., Rondina, D.E.S., Lopes, J.R., Teixeira, D.I. and Paula, N.R. (2004). Hormonal treatments for the synchronization of NR estrus in dairy goats raised in the tropics. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 16: 415-420.
- Gordon I. (2005). Reproductive technology in farm animals/ Ian R. Gordon P. CM. Livestock. Repord. 13-17.
- Greyling J.P.C. (2000). Reproduction traits in the Boer goat doe. Small Ruminant Research. 36: 171-177.
- Khan M.S., Khan, M.A. and Mahmood, S. (2008). Genetic resources and diversity in Pakistani goats. Int J Agric Biol. 10: 227–231.
- Leboeuf B., Forgerit, Y., Bernelas, D.,. Pougnard, J.L., Senty, E. and Draincourt, M.A. (2003). Efficacy of two types of vaginal sponges to control onset of oestrus, time of preovulatory LH peak and kidding rate in goats inseminated with variable numbers of spermatozoa. Theriogenology. 60: 1371-1378.
- Leboeuf B., Delgadillo, J.A., Manfredi, E., Piacère, A., Clément, V., Martin, P., Pellicer, M., Boué, P. and de Cremoux, R. (2008). Management of goat reproduction and insemination for genetic improvement in France. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 43: 379-385.
- Mamabolo M.J. and Webb, E.C. (2005). Goat production survey – fundamental aspects to model goat production systems in Southern Africa: a case study-agricultural commission-WITFOR. 2005. [Online] Available at: http:// www.witfor.org.bw/themes/documents/goat_production_servey.pdf.
- Motlomelo K.C., Greyling, J.P.C. and Schwalbach, L.M.J. (2002). Synchronization of estrus in goats: the use of different progestagen treatments. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 45: 45-49.
- Nasroallah Moradi Kor, Nemat Ziaei and Ebrahim Esfandiar Pour. (2011). Comparison of Reproductive Performance in Raieni Goats Following Different Estrous Synchronization Methods and Subsequent ECG Treatment During the Natural Breeding Season. Global Veterinaria. 7: 618-624.
- Naude R.T. and Hofmeyr, H.S. (1981). Meat Production. In: C. Gall (Ed.), Goat Production. Academic Press, London, New York. 285-307.
- Omontese B.O., Rekwot, P.I., Makun, H.J., Ate, I.U., Rwuaan, J.S. and Kawu, M.U. (2013). Oestrus induction using fluorogestone acetate sponges and equine chorionic gonadotrophin in Red Sokoto goats. South Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 43: 68-73.
- Riera S. (1982). Reproductive efficiency and management in goats. Proc. 3rd Inter. Conf. on Goat Prod. and Disease, Tuscon, Arizona, USA. 162-174.
- Roger P.A. (2012). Welfare issues in the reproductive management off small ruminants. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 130: 141–146.
- Romano J.E. (1993). Effect of service on estrus duration in dairy goats. Theriogenology. 40: 77–84.
- Sabapara G.P. and Deshpande, S.B. (2010). Mortality Pattern in Surti goats under field condition. Veterinary World. 3: 165-166.
- Safdarian M., Kafi, M. and Hashemi, M. (2006). Reproductive performance of Karakul ewes following different oestrous synchronization treatments outside the natural breeding season. South African Journal of Animal Science. 36: 229-234.
- Singh M.K., Tiwari, H.A., Rai, B. and Kumar, A. (2009). Age specific causes of kids’ mortality in Jamunapari goats. Indian Journal of Animal Production and Management. 24: 3-4, 46-49.
- Thatcher W.W., Moreira, F., Santos, J.E.P., Mattos, R.C., Lopes, F.L., Pancarci, S.M. and Risco, C.A. (2001). Effects of hormonal treatments on reproductive performance and embryo production. Theriogenology. 55: 75-89.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.