Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Polymorphism of follicle stimulating hormone receptor influences the 3D structure and its binding pattern to FSH in Bos taurus
First Online 12-04-2017|
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) bond with the extracellular domain of the FSH receptor (FSHR) stimulates a cascade of the intracellular process that leads to folliculogenesis. This study aimed to elucidate the effects of FSHR polymorphism of its structure and function on Bos taurus through computational technology. The FSHR sequences were retrieved from Genebank. The polymorphism was identified using alignment analysis and the 3D structure of the FSHR was done by Swiss models. Results showed that FSHR of Bos taurus has three polymorphisms that located at amino acid residues 18th to 259th. The polymorphisms may alter its ability to bind with FSH. Molecular docking analysis indicated that all variant of FSHR potentially changes the pattern and affinity binding into FSH that may have an impact on reproduction status of Bos taurus. The study is a warrant for further investigation to explore biomarker of cattle reproduction status based on FSHR gene.
- Apweiler R. (2001). Functional information in Swiss-Prot : the basis for large-scale characterisation of protein sequence. Brief Bioinform. 2: 9-18.
- Balkan M, Gedik A, Akkoc H, Ay OI, Erdal ME, Isi H and Budak T. (2010). FSHR single nucleotide polymorphism frequencies in proven fathers and infertile men in Southeast Turkey, J Biomed Biotech. 2010(2010): 5 pages. doi: 10.1155/2010/640318.
- Cory AT, Price CA, Lefebvre R and Palin MF. (2013). Identification of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the bovine follicle-stimulating hormone receptor and effects of genotypes on superovulatory response traits. Anim Genet. 44: 197-201. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2015.2012.02380.x.
- Edgar RC. (2004). MUSCLE: a multiple sequence alignment method with reduced time and space complexity. BMC Bioinformatics. 19: 113-131.
- Ekins S, Mestres J and Testa B. (2007). In silico pharmacology for drug discovery: methods for virtual ligand screening and profiling. Br J Pharmacol. 152: 9-20.
- Eramian D, Shen MY, Devos D, Melo F, Sali A and Marti-Renom MA. (2006). A composite score for predicting errors in protein structure models. Protein Sci. 15: 1653-1666.
- Gaviria SM, Herrera AL, Zuluaga JJE. (2016). Association between FSHR polymorphism with productive and reproductive traits in antioquia holstein catlle. Rev Fac Nal Agr. 69: 7793-7801. doi: 10.15446/rfna.v69n1.54747.
- Hall TA. (1999). BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/ NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41: 95-98.
- Kang B, Jiang DM, Zhou RJ and Yang HM. (2010). Expression of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor (FSHR) mRNA in the ovary of Zi geese during developmental and egg-laying stages. Folia biol. (Krakow). 58: 61-66.
- Laskowski RA and Swindells MB. (2011). LigPlot+: multiple ligand-protein interaction diagrams for drug dicovery. J Chem Inf Model. 51: 2778-2786. doi: 10.1021/ci200227u.
- Liu F, Baggerman G, Schoofs L and Wets G. (2008). The construction of a bioactive peptide database in Metazoa. J Proteome Res. 7: 4119-4131. doi: 10.1021/pr800037n.
- Macindoe G, Mavridis L, Venkatraman V, Devignes M and Ritchie DW. (2010). HexServer: an FFT based protein docking server powered by graphics processors. Nucleic Acids Res. 38: W445-W449. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkq311.
- Marson EP, Ferraz JBS, Meirelles FV, Balieiro JCC and Eler JP. (2008). Effects of polymorphisms of LHR and FSHR genes of sexual precocity in a Bos taurus x Bos indicus beef composite population. Genet Mol Res. 7: 243-251.
- Minegishi T, Tano M, Igarashi M, Rokukawa S, Abe Y, Ibuki Y and Miyamoto K. (1997). Expression of follicle-stimulating hormone in human ovary. Eur. J Clin Invest. 27: 469-474.
- Othman OE, Abdel-Samad MF. (2013). RFL polymorphism of three fertility genes in Egyptian buffalo, J Appl Biol Sci. 7: 94-101.
- Schymkowitz JWH, Rousseau F, Martins IC, Ferkinghoff-Borg J, Stricher F and Serrano L. (2005). Prediction of water and metal binding site and their affinities by using the Fold-X force field. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 102: 10147-10152. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0501980102.
- Shen MY and Sali A. (2006). Statistical potential for assessment and prediction of protein structure. Protein Sci. 15:2507- 2524. doi: 10.1110/ps.062416606.
- Simoni M, Gromoll J and Nieschlag E. (1997). The follicle-stimulating hormone receptor: biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, and pathophysiology. Endocr Rev. 18:739-773.
- Simoni M, Nieschlag E and Gromoll J. (2002). Isoforms and single nucleotide polymorphisms of FSH receptor gene: implications for human reproduction. Hum Reprod Update. 8: 413-421.
- Singhasena W, Pantasri T, Piromlertamom W, Samchimchom S and Vutyavanich T. (2014). Follicle-stimulating hormone receptor gene polymorphism in chronic anovulatory women, with or without polycystic ovary syndrome: a cross- sectional study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 12: 86-92. doi: 10.1186/1477-7827-12-86.
- Sosa ASA, Mahmoud KGM, Eldebaky HAA, Kandiel MMM, Abou El-Roos MEA and Nawito MF. (2015). Genotyping of follicle stimulating hormone receptor gene in fertil and infertile buffalo. Global Veterinar. 15: 163-168. doi: 10.5829/idosi.gv.2015.15.02.96166.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M and Kumar S. (2011). MEGA5 : molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol. 28: 2731-2739. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msr121.
- Ulloa-Aguirre A and Timossi C. (1998). Structure-function relationship of follicle-stimulating hormone and its receptor. Hum Reprod Update. 4: 260-283.
- Whitfield EJ, Pruess M and Apweiler R. (2006). Bioinformatics database infrastructure for biotechnology research. J Biotechnol. 124: 629-639.
- Wielsch N, Thomas H, Surendranath V, Waridel P, Frank A, Pevzner P and Shevchenko A. (2006). Rapid validation of protein identifications with the borderline statistical confidence via de novo sequencing and MS BLAST searches, J Proteome Res. 5: 2448-2456.
- Xu Z, Garverick HA, Smith GW, Smith MF, Hamilton SA and Youngquist RS. (1995). Expression of follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone receptor messenger ribonucleic acids in bovine follicles during the first follicular wave. Biol Reprod. 53: 951-957.
- Yang WC, Tang KQ, Li SJ, Chao LM and Yang LG. (2012). Polymorphisms of the bovine luteinizing hormone/ choriogonadotropin receptor (LHCGR) gene and its association with superovulation traits. Mol Biol Rep. 39: 2481-2487. doi: 10.1007/s11033-011-0999-4.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.