Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Analysis of Histopathological and Ultrasonographic Testicular Changes Following Intra Testicular Administration of Zinc Gluconate and Chlorhexidine Gluconate in Adult Dogs
First Online 29-01-2021|
Methods: The present study was designed to analyze the contraceptive effect of intra-testicular injection of zinc gluconate neutralized with arginine and chlorhexidine gluconate in twenty-four sexually mature male mongrel dogs divided into four groups viz I, II, III and IV each of six animals. Groups I, II and III were treated with zinc gluconate neutralized with arginine, 5% and 4% chlorhexidine gluconate, respectively and group IV were kept as control. The testicular biopsy samples were collected on day 0 and 30 using 16-gauge biopsy gun. The ultrasonographic examination of testes was done on day 0, 5, 15, 24 and 30.
Result: The noteworthy microscopic changes at day 30 such as irregular basement membranes with severe depletion of both germinal and sertoli cells were observed in all the treatment groups. The ultrasonography revealed degenerated testicles and significant diminution in the testicular length by day 30 in all the treatment groups. Thus, intra-testicular injection of zinc gluconate neutralized with arginine, 5% and 4% chlorhexidine gluconate may be used for chemical contraception in dogs.
- Aiudi, G., De Sandro Salvati, A., Binetti, F., Matarrese, R., Leoci, R. and Lacalandra, G.M. (2007). Chemical sterilization in dogs with intra-epididymal injection of 5% chlorhexidine solution. In: Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 42: 83-83.
- Aiudi, G., Silvestre, F., Leoci, R. and Lacalandra, G.M. (2010). Single testicular injection of chlorhexidine solution as chemical sterilant in dogs. In: 4th International Symposium on Non-Surgica l Methods of Pet Population Control, Dallas, TX.
- Blanc, P., Wong, H., Bernstein, M.S. and Boushey, H.A. (1991). An experimental human model of metal fume fever. Annals of Internal Medicine. 114: 930-936.
- Brito, L.F., Sertich, P.L., Rives, W., Knobbe, M., Del Piero, F. and Stull, G.B. (2011). Effects of intratesticular zinc gluconate treatment on testicular dimensions, echodensity, histology, sperm production and testosterone secretion in American black bears (Ursus americanus). Theriogenology. 75: 1444-1452.
- Brown, G. (2003). Advances in Reproductive Control Technology. In: 13th National Urban Animal Management Conference, Caloundra, Queensland (pp. 107-9).
- Canpolat, I., Karabulut, E. and Eroksuz, Y. (2016). Chemical castration of adult and non-adult male dogs with sodium chloride solution. Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science. 9: 9-11.
- Fahim, M.S., Wang, M., Sutcu, M.F., Fahim, Z. and Youngquist, R.S. (1993). Sterilization of dogs with intra-epididymal injection of zinc arginine. Contraception. 47: 107-122.
- Girdley M.F. (1960). Manual of Histologics and Special Staining Technics. 2nd Edn., McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Hughes, J. and Macdonald, D. W. (2013). A review of the interactions between free-roaming domestic dogs and wildlife. Biological Conservation. 157: 341-351.
- Kutzler, M. and Wood, A. (2006). Non-surgical methods of contraception and sterilization. Theriogenology. 66: 514-525.
- Leoci, R., Aiudi, G., De Sandro Salvati, A., Silvestre, F., Binetti, F. and Lacalandra, G. M. (2009). Ultrasound as a mechanical method for male dog contraception. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 44: 326-328.
- Leoci, R., Aiudi, G., Cicirelli, V., Brent, L., Iaria, C. and Lacalandra, G.M. (2019). Effects of intratesticular vs intraepididymal calcium chloride sterilant on testicular morphology and fertility in dogs. Theriogenology, 127: 153-160.
- Maarschalkerweerd, R.J., Endenburg, N., Kirpensteijn, J. and Knol, B.W. (1997). Influence of orchiectomy on canine behaviour. Veterinary Record. 140: 617-619.
- Munson, L., Chassy, L. M. and Asa, C. (2004). Efficacy, safety and reversibility of bisdiamine as a male contraceptive in cats. Theriogenology. 62: 81-92.
- Oliveira, E.C., Moura, M.R., Silva Jr, V.A., Peixoto, C.A., Saraiva, K.L. and de Pinho Marques Jr, A. (2007). Intratesticular injection of a zinc-based solution as a contraceptive for dogs. Theriogenology. 68: 137-145.
- Rafatmah, D., Mogheiseh, A. and Eshghi, D. (2019). Chemical sterilization with intratesticular administration of zinc gluconate in adult dogs: a preliminary report. Basic and Clinical Andrology. 29: 12.
- Russel, L.D., Ettlin, R.P. and Sinhahikin, A.P. (1990). Histological and histopathological evaluation of testis. Clearwater: Cache River Press.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. Viii edn.
- Soto, F.R.M., Viana, W.G., Mucciolo, G.C.B., Hosomi, F.Y.M., Vannucchi, C.I., Mazzei, C.P. and De Azevedo, S.S. (2009). Evaluation of efficacy and safety of zinc gluconate associated with dimethyl sulphoxide for sexually mature canine males chemical neutering. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 44: 927-931.
- Soto, F.R.M., Viana, W.G., Sousa, A.J., Pinheiro, S.R., Mucciolo, G.B., Hosomi, F.Y.M. and Dias, R.A. (2018). Evaluation of zinc gluconate, either associated or not to dimethyl sulfoxide, as contraceptive method for male dogs. Animal Reproduction. 4: 119-124.
- Tepsumethanon, V., Wilde, H. and Hemachudha, T. (2005). Intratesticular injection of a balanced zinc solution for permanent sterilization of dogs. Journal of Medical Association of Thailand. 88: 686-9.
- Vanderstichel, R., Forzan, M.J., Perez, G.E., Serpell, J.A. and Garde, E. (2015). Changes in blood testosterone concentrations after surgical and chemical sterilization of male free-roaming dogs in southern Chile. Theriogenology. 83: 1021-1027.
- Vannucchi, C.I., Angrimani, D.S.R., Eyherabide, A.R., Mazzei, C.P., Lucio, C.F., Maiorka, P.C. and Nichi, M. (2015). Effects of intratesticular administration of zinc gluconate and dimethyl sulfoxide on clinical, endocrinological and reproductive parameters in dogs. Theriogenology. 84: 1103-1110.
- Wiebe, J.P. and Barr, K.J. (1984). The control of male fertility by 1, 2, 3-trihydroxypropane (THP; glycerol): rapid arrest of spermatogenesis without altering libido, accessory organs, gonadal steroidogenesis and serum testosterone, LH and FSH. Contraception. 29: 291-302.
- W.H.O. (1992). Expert committee on rabies. 8th Report. Geneva, pp 87.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.