Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Determine Cyp17a1 and Ki67 Expressions in Pcos Induced Rat Model Treated with Sepia pharaonis Ink Extract Proves Effective
First Online 21-12-2020|
Methods: The female rats were grouped into 5 consisting of six animals each. Only water was given to the control group. For inducing PCOS, Letrozole 1mg/kg.b.wt was administered to the subsequent four groups for 21 days. To the third group, an allopathic drug, clomiphene citrate 1mg/kg was given for 19 days after PCOS induction. The SPIE was subjected to lyophilisation to make a black powder and next two groups were administered orally with two different dosages of SPIE (100mg and 200mg respectively) mixed with water after PCOS induction. Vaginal smears were taken from all groups till 21 days and then treatment was started with clomiphene citrate (CC) and SPIE. After 21 days, vaginal smears were taken from all groups till ovulation was induced. The test drug effects were studied using ovary weight both right and left, body weight, hormonal levels, histopathology of ovary and Immunohistochemistry.
Result: PCOS group showed rapid increase in the ovarian weight when compared to control and was reduced by CC and SPIE treatment. The levels of progesterone and estradiol were found lower and testosterone levels were found higher in PCOS rats which were favourably altered. Vaginal smears coincided with the histopathology and immunohistochemistry findings. SPIE can be used as a therapeutic drug for PCOS in future, reduce infertility complaint of females and prevent early inception of diabetes mellitus.
- Alvarez, C., Marti-Bonmati, L., Novella- Maestre, E., Sanz, R., Gomez, R., Fernandez Sanchez, M., Simon, C., Pellicer, A. (2007). Dopamine agonist cabergoline reduces hemo concentration and ascitis in hyperstimulated women undergoing assisted reproduction. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 92: 2931-2937.
- Anisuzzaman, A.S.M., Sugimoto, N., Bhuiyan, M.S.A., Sadik, G. and Gafur, M.A. (2001). Toxicological studies of two novel compounds isolated from Streptomyces species. The Sciences. 1(6): 368-371.
- Azziz, R., Carmina, E., Dewailly, D., et al. (2006). Criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyper and rogenic syndrome: An androgen excess society guideline. J. Clin. Endocrinol Metab. 91: 4237-45.
- Conway, G., Dewailly, D., Diamanti-Kandarakis, E., et al. (2014). The polycystic ovary syndrome: A position statement from the European Society of Endocrinology. Europ. J. Endocrinol. 171: 1-29.
- De, L.V., Musacchio, M.C., Cappelli, V., Massaro, M.G., Morgante, G., Petraglia, F. (2016 Dec). Genetic, hormonal and metabolic aspects of PCOS: An update. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 14(1): 38.
- Dewailly, D., Robin, G., Peigne, M., Decanter, C., Pigny, P., Catteau- Jonard, S. (2016 Oct). Interactions between androgens, FSH, anti-Müllerian hormone and estradiol during folliculo- -genesis in the human normal and polycystic ovary. Human Reproduction Update. 22(6): 709-24.
- Dirami, G., Cooke., B.A., (1998). Effect of dopamine agonist on Leutinizing hormone receptors, Cyclic AMP production and steroidogenesis in rat Leydig cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 50(2): 393-401.
- Eagleson, C.A., Gingrich, M.B., Pastor, C.L., Arora, T.K., Burt, C.M., Evans, W.S., et al. (2000). Polycystic ovarian syndrome: Evidence that flutamide restores sensitivity of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone pulse generator to inhibition by estradiol and progesterone. J. Clin. Endocrinol Metab. 85(11): 4047-52.
- Fiore, G., Poli, A., Cosmo, A.D., Ischia, M.D., Plumbo, A., (2004). Dopamine in the ink defence system of sepia officinalis: Biosynthesis, vesicular compartmentation in mature ink gland cells, nitric oxide(NO)/cGMP-induced depletion and fate in secreted ink. Biochemical Journal. 378: 785-791.
- George, J.T. et al. (2016). Neurokinin B receptor antagonism in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A randomized, placebo controlled trial. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 101: 4313-4321.
- Hak, A.E., Witteman, J.C., de Jong, F.H., Geerlings, M.I., Hofman, A., Pols, H.A. (2002). Low levels of endogenous and rogens increase the risk of atherosclerosis in elderly men: The Rotterdam study. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 87: 3632-9.
- Hamza, A.H., AlBishri, W.M. and Alfaris, M.H. (2019). Effect of Vitex agnus-castus plant extract on polycystic ovary syndrome complications in experimental rat model. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 8(2): 63.
- Homer, M.V., Rosencrantz, M.A., Shayya, R.F., Chang, R.J. (2014 Sep 1). The role of estradiol (E2) on granulosa cell (GC) function in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): Evidence suggesting that E2 facilitates GC response to FSH. Fertility and Sterility. 102(3): e264.
- Hossain, M.P. et al., (2018). Medicinal and therapeutic properties of cephalopod ink: A short review. Food Research. 3(3): 188-198.
- Jahan, S., Abid, A., Khalid, S., Afsar, T., Shaheen, G., Almajwal, A., and Razak, S. (2018). Therapeutic potentials of quercetin in management of polycystic ovarian syndrome using Letrozole induced rat model: A histological and a biochemical study. Journal of Ovarian Research. 11(1): 26.
- Karatekea, A., Dokuyucub, R., Doganc, H., Ozgurd, T., Tasd, Z.A., Tutukc, O., Agturkc, G., Tumerc, C. (2018). Investigation of therapeutic effects of erdosteine on polycystic ovary syndrome in a rat model. Medical Principles and Practice. 27: 515-522.
- Lan, Z.J. et al., (2017). Selective deletion of Pten in theca-interstitial cells leads to androgen excess and ovarian dysfunction in mice. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 444: 26-37.
- Lee, Mong-Fong and Lin, Chun-Yen and Chiao, C.C. and Lu, C.C. (2016). Reproductive behavior and embryonic development of the pharaoh cuttlefish, sepia pharaonis (Cephalopoda: sepiidae). Zoological Studies. 55: e 41.10.6620/ZS. 2016. 55-41.
- Leonardo Augusto Lombardi et al., (2014). Immunohistochemical evaluation of proliferation, apoptosis and steroidogenic enzymes in the ovary of rats with polycystic ovary. Revista Associacio Medica Brasileira. 60(4): 349-356.
- Manneras, L., Cajander, S., Holmang, A., Seleskovic, Z., Lystig, T., Lonn, M., Stener-Victorin, E. (2007). A new rat model exhibiting both ovarian and metabolic characteristics of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrinology. 148(8): 3781- 91.
- Misugi, T., Ozaki, K., El Beltagy, K., Tokuyama, O., Honda, K.I. and Ishiko, O. (2016). Insulin-lowering agents inhibit synthesis of testosterone in ovaries of DHEA-induced PCOS rats. Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation. 61(4): 208-215
- Mroczko, B. and Mêdras, M. (2007). Some problems with testosterone determination. Endocrinol Pol. 58: 440-5.
- Nair, J.R., Pillai, D., Joseph, S.M., Gomathi, P., Senan, P.V. and Sherief, P.M. (2011). Cephalopod research and bioactive substances. Indian Journal of Geo-marine Sciences. 40(1): 13-27.
- Pastor, C.L., Griffin-Korf, M.L., Aloi, J.A., Evans, W.S., Marshall, J.C. (1998). Polycystic ovary syndrome: Evidence for reduced sensitivity of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone pulse generator to inhibition by estradiol and progesterone. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 3(2): 582-90.
- Rodgers, R.J., Suturina, L., Lizneva, D., Davies, M.J., Hummitzsch, K., Irving-Rodgers, H.F. and Robertson, S.A. (2019). Is polycystic ovary syndrome a 20th Century phenomenon? Medical Hypotheses. 124: 31-34.
- Saleh, H., Soliman, A.M., Mohamed, A.S. and Marie, M.A.S. (2015). Antioxidant effect of sepia ink extract on extrahepatic cholestasis induced by bile duct ligation in rats. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences. 28(8): 582-594.
- Samarh, S.N., Khalaf, N.A. and Hajhamad, M.M. (2017). Evidence based medical use of aloe vera extracts, short review of literature. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 5(10): 4198.
- Senan, V.P. (2015). Antibacterial activity of methanolic extract of the ink of cuttlefish, sepia pharaonis against pathogenic bacterial strains. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 6(4): 1705.
- Sheehan, M.T. (2004). Polycystic ovarian syndrome: Diagnosis and management. Clinical Medicine Research. 2: 13-27.
- Song, S. and Tan, Y. (2019). Expression of FKBP52 in the ovaries of PCOS rats. International Journal of Molecular Medicine. 43(2): 868-78.
- Sundaram, S. (2014). Fishery and Biology of Sepia pharaonis Ehrenberg, 1831 off Mumbai, Northwest Coast of India. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. India. 56(2): 43-47.
- Sushma, P.R., Nazia, B., Sumith, M., Bakshi. V., (2016). Beneficial effect of Curcumin in Letrozole induced polycystic ovary syndrome. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 5(2): 116-122.
- The Rotterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS consensus workshop group. (2004). Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Hum Reprod. 19: 41-7.
- Wei, D., Yu, Y., Sun, M., Shi, Y., Sun, Y., Deng, X., Li, J., Wang, Z., Zhao, S., Zhang, H., Legro, R.S. (2018). The effect of supraphysiological estradiol on pregnancy outcomes differs between women with PCOS and ovulatory women. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 103(7): 2735-2742.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.