Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of Biostimulation on Some Behavioral Aspects and Energy Balance of Sahiwal Cows during Peri-estrual Period
First Online 28-01-2021|
Methods: The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of biostimulation on behaviour and energy balance of Sahiwal cows during peri-estrus through 2 types of bull contact. For this, 24 postpartum cows were divided into 3 similar groups (T0, T1 and T2) of 8 cows each. In T0, cows were not exposed to bull; in T1 the cows were exposed to bull through a fence-line contact and in T2, the cows were in direct bull contact for 12 hours daily.
Result: In first post-partum estrus, the feeding time was non-significant among 3 groups but in second estrus, mean time spent on feeding was significantly (p<0.05) lower in T0 than T1 and T2 groups. The mean rumination time on d-0 of first estrus was significantly (p<0.01) lower in T1 and T2 cows as compared to T0 cows. Mean rumination time on d-0 in second estrus was significantly (p<0.05) lower in T1 and T2 than in T0. Mean resting times in first estrus in T1 and T2 were significantly lower (p<0.05) than in T0. Mean resting time in d-0 of second estrus was significantly (p<0.05) lower in T1 and T2 than the T0. There was no significant difference in the mean dry matter intake and levels of BHBA and NEFA among 3 groups of cows. It was concluded that biostimulation of Sahiwal cows through direct or fence-line bull contact during peri-estrus period highly reduced their feeding, rumination and resting times without affecting their energy balance as compared to non-bull exposed cows.
- Brumby, P.E. anderson, M.A.L.C.O.L.M., Tuckley, B.R.I.A.N., Storry, J.E. and Hibbit, K.G. (1975). Lipid metabolism in the cow during starvation-induced ketosis. Biochemical Journal. 146(3): 609-615.
- Chenoweth, P.J. (1983). Reproductive management procedures in control of breeding. Anim. Prod. Aust. 15: 28.
- Chenoweth, P.J. (1983). Sexual Behavior of the Bull: A Review. J. Dairy. Sci. 66: 173-179.
- Choudhary, S., Kamboj, M.L., Rheja, N., Kumar, N., Saini, M. and Lathwal, S.S. (2020). Influence of bull biostimulation on age at puberty and reproductive performance of Sahiwal breed (bosindicus) of cattle. Indian Journal of Animals Science. 90: (1).
- Diskin, M.G. and Sreenan, J.M. (2000). Expression and detection of oestrus in cattle. Reproduction Nutrition Development. 40(5): 481-491.
- Doepel, L., Lapierre, H. and Kennelly, J.J. (2002). Peripartum performance and metabolism of dairy cows in response to prepartum energy and protein intake. Journal of Dairy Science. 85(9): 2315-2334.
- Dolecheck, K.A. (2015). Assessment of the technical and economic potential of automated estrus detection technologies for dairy cattle. Thesis dissertations- Anim. Food Sci. 44.
- Drackley, J.K. (1999). Biology of dairy cows during the transition period: The final frontier? Journal of Dairy Science. 82(11): 2259-2273.
- Drackley, J.K., Overton, T.R., and Douglas, G.N. (2001). Adaptations of glucose and long-chain fatty acid metabolism in liver of dairy cows during the periparturient period. Journal of Dairy Science. 84. E100-E112.
- Fike, K.E., Bergfeld, E.G., Cupp, A.S., Kojima, F.N., Mariscal, V., Sanchez, T.S., Wehrman, M.E. and Kinder, J.E. (1996). Influenceoffencelinebullexposureon duration of anestrus and pregnancy rate in beef cows. Anim. Rerod. Sci. 41: 161-16.
- Herdt, T.H. (2000). Variability characteristics and test selection in herdlevel nutritional and metabolic profile testing. Veterinary Clinics: Food Animal Practice. 16(2): 387-403.
- ICAR, (2013).Nutrient requirement of cattle and bufflaoes. Nutrient requirement of animals.Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- Kerbrat, S. and Disenhaus, C. (2004). A proposition for an update behavioural characterization of the oestrus period in dairy cows. App. Anim. Behav. Sci. 87(3): 223-238.
- Overton, T.R. and Waldron, M.R. (2004). Nutritional management of transition dairy cows: strategies to optimize metabolic health. Journal of Dairy Science. 87: E105-E119.
- Pahl, C., Hartung, E. and. Haeussermann, A. (2015). Feeding characteristics and rumination time of dairy cows around estrus. J. Dairy Sci. 98: 148-154.
- Peter, A.T., Vos, P.L.A.M. and Ambrose, J. (2009). Postpartum anestrus in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 71: 1333-1342.
- Pullen, D.L., Palmquist, D.L. and Emery, R.S. (1989). Effect on days of lactation and methionine hydroxy analog on incorporation of plasma fatty acids into plasma triglycerides. Journal of Sairy Science. 72(1): 49-58.
- Reith, S., Brandt, H. and Hoy, S. (2014). Simultaneous analysis of activity and rumination time, based on collar-mounted sensor technology, of dairy cows over the peri-estrus period. Lives. Sci. 170: 219-227.
- Roelofs, J.B., Soede, N.M., Dieleman, S.J., Voskamp-Harkema, W. and Kemp, B. (2007). The acute effect of bull presence on plasma profiles of luteinizing hormone in postpartum, anoestrus dairy cows. Theriogenology. 68: 902-907.
- Roelofs, J.B., Soede, N.M., Voskamp-Harkema, W. and Kemp, B. (2008).The effect of fenceline bull exposure on expression of oestrus in dairy cows. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 108: 226-235.
- Roelofs, J.B., van Eerdenburg, F.J.C.M., Soede, N.M. and Kemp, B. (2005) Pedometer reading for estrous detection and as predictor for time of ovulation in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 64: 1690-1703.
- Singh, A.K., Bhakat, C., Mandal, D.K., Mandal, A., Rai, S., Chatterjee, A. and Ghosh, M.K. (2020). Effect of reducing energy intake during the dry period on milk production, udder health and body condition score of Jersey crossbred cows in the tropical lower Gangetic region. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 1-9.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. 9th edn. Affiliated East-West Press, lOW A State University Press.
- Sveberg, G., Refsdal, A.O., Erhard, H.W., Kommisrud, E., Aldrin, M., Tvete, I. F., Buckley, F., Waldmann, A. and Ropstad, E. (2011). Behavior of lactating Holstein-Friesian cows during spontaneous cycles of estrus. J. Dairy Sci. 94: 1289-1301.
- Yadav, S.B. (2015). Effect of Supplementation of Mustard Oil and Polyherbal Preparation During Transition Period on Productive and Reproductive Performance of Sahiwal Cows (Doctoral dissertation, NDRI, Karnal).
- Zalesky, D.D., Day, M.L., García-Winder, M., Imakawa, K., Kittok, R.J., D’occhio, M.J. and Kinder, J.E. (1984). Influence of exposure to bulls on resumption of estrous cycles following parturition in beef cows. Journal of Animal Science. 59(5): 1135-1139.
- Zin, T.T., Tin, P., Kobayashi, I. and Hama, H. (2018). Markov chain techniques for cow behavior analysis in video-based monitoring system. In Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists. (Vol. 1).
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.