Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
A Novel Close-tube Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) Assay for Rapid Detection of Brucella
First Online 15-04-2021|
Methods: In the present report, two sets of LAMP primers targeting omp2b gene of Brucella were designed and standardized for detection of all the major Brucella spp.
Result: There was absence of amplification in any of the non-Brucella species in contrast to detection of white precipitation in unaided eye in daylight as well as greenish fluorescence under ultraviolet light in all of the Brucella species. It was found to be more sensitive than conventional PCR as relative sensitivity was found to be 0.34pg for first set of primers and 34fg for second set of primers, as compared to 3.4pg through bcsp31 PCR.
- Al Dahouk, S., Sprague, L.D. and Neubauer, H. (2013). New developments in the diagnostic procedures for zoonotic brucellosis in humans. Revue Scientifique et Technique. 32: 177-188.
- Asaad, A.M. and Algahtani, J.M. (2012). Serological and molecular diagnosis of human brucellosis in Najran, Southwestern Saudi Arabia. Journal of Infection and Public Health. 5: 189-194.
- Baily, G.G., Krahn, J.B., Drasar, B.S. and Stoker, N.G. (1992). Detection of Brucella melitensis and Brucella abortus by DNA amplification. The Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 95: 271-275.
- Chen, S., Li, X., Li, J. and Atwill, E.R. (2013). Rapid detection of Brucella spp. using loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP). Methods in Molecular Biology. 1039: 99-108.
- Cloeckaert, A., Verger, J.M., Grayon, M. and Grepinet, O. (1995). Restriction site polymorphism of the genes encoding the major 25 kDa and 36 kDa outer-membrane proteins of Brucella. Microbiology. 141: 2111-2121.
- Fu, S., Qu, G., Guo, S., Ma, L., Zhang, N., Zhang, S. and Gao, S. (2011). Applications of loop-mediated isothermal DNA amplification. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 163: 845-850.
- Goto, M., Honda, E., Ogura, A., Nomoto, A. and Hanaki, K.I. (2009). Colorimetric detection of loop mediated isothermal amplification reaction by hydroxyl napthol blue. Biotechniques. 46: 167-172.
- Hong, M., Zha, L., Fu, W., Zou, M., Li, W. and Xu, D. (2012). A modified visual loop-mediated isothermal amplification method for diagnosis and differentiation of main pathogens from Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 28: 523-531.
- Karthik, K., Rathore, R., Thomas, P., Arun, T.R., Viswas, K.N., Dhama, K. and Agarwal, R.K. (2014). New closed tube loop mediated isothermal amplification assay for prevention of product cross-contamination. Methods X 1: e137-e143.
- Liang, C., Cheng, S., Chu, Y., Wu, H., Zou, B., Huang, H., Xi, T. and Zhou, G. (2013). A closed-tube detection of Loop-mediated isothermal Amplification (LAMP) products using a wax-sealed fluorescent intercalator. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 13: 3999-4005.
- Lin, G.Z., Zheng, F.Y., Zhou, J.Z., Gong, X.W., Wang, G.H., Cao, X.A. and Qiu, C.Q. (2011). Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay targeting the omp25 gene for rapid detection of Brucella spp. Molecular and Cellular Probes. 25: 126-129.
- Marquish, H. and Ficht, T.A. (1993). The omp2 gene locus of Brucella abortus encodes two homologous outer membrane proteins with properties characteristic of bacterial porins. Infection and Immunity. 61: 3785-3790.
- Mobasheri, H., Ficht, T.A., Marquis, H., Lea, E.J.A., Lakey, J.H. (1997). Brucella Omp2a and Omp2b porins: single channel measurements and topology prediction. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 155: 23-30.
- Notomi, T., Okayama, H., Masubuchi, H., Yonekawa, T., Watanabe, K., Amino, N. and Hase T. (2000). Loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNA. Nucleic Acids Research. 28: e63.
- Ohtsuki, R., Kawamoto, K., Kato, Y., Shah, M.M., Ezaki, T. and Makino, S.I. (2008). Rapid detection of Brucella spp. by the loop-mediated isothermal amplification method. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 104: 1815-1823.
- Pan, W., Wang, J.Y., Shen, H.Y., Zhao, M.Q., Ju, C.M., Dong, X.Y., Yi, L. and Chen, J.D. (2011). Development and application of the novel visual loop-mediated isothermal amplification of omp25 sequence for rapid detection of Brucella species. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances. 10: 2120-2126.
- Perez-Sancho, M., Garcia-Seco, T., Arrogante, L., Garcia, N., Martinez, I., Diez-Guerrier, A., Perales, A., Goyache, J., Dominguez, L. and Alvarez, J. (2013) Development and evaluation of an IS711-based loop mediated isothermal amplification method (LAMP) for detection of Brucella spp. on clinical samples. Research in Veterinary Science. 95: 489-494.
- Soleimani, M., Shams, S. and Majidzadeh, A.K. (2013) Developing a real-time quantitative loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay as a rapid and accurate method for detection of Brucellosis. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 115: 828-834.
- Song, L., Li, J., Hou, S., Li, X. and Chen, S. (2012). Establishment of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for rapid detection of Brucella spp. and application to milk and blood samples. Journal of Microbiological Methods. 90: 292-297.
- Spicic, S., Zdelar-Tuk, M., Racic, I., Duvnjak, S. and Cvetnic, Z. (2010). Serological, Bacteriological and Molecular Diagnosis of Brucellosis in Domestic Animals in Croatia. Croatian Medical Journal. 51: 320-326.
- Tao, Z.Y., Zhou, H.Y., Xia, H., Xu, S., Zhu, H.W., Culleton, R.L., Han, E.T., et al. (2011). Adaptation of a visualized loop-mediated isothermal amplification technique for field detection of Plasmodium vivax infection. Parasites and Vectors. 4: 115.
- Verger, J.M., Grimont, F., Grimont, P.A.D. and Grayon, M. (1985). Brucella, a monospecific genus as shown by deoxyribonucleic acid hybridization. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 35: 292-295.
- Yu, W.L. and Nielsen, K. (2010). Review of detection of Brucella spp. by Polymerase Chain Reaction. Croatian Medical Journal. 51: 306-313.
- Zadon, S., Sharma, N.S., Arora, A.K. and Chandra, M. (2014). Development of the Novel Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) of IS711 Sequence for Rapid Detection of Brucella Species. Proceedinds of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences. 85: 685-691.
- Zhang, X., Zhang, H., Pu, J., Qi, Y., Yu, Q., Xie, Y. and Peng, J. (2013). Development of a real-time fluorescence loop mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid and quantitative detection of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense tropical race 4 in soil. PLoS One. 8: e82841.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.