- Ahlering, M.A., Millspaugh, J.J., Woods, R.J., Western, D., Eggert, L.S. (2011). Elevated levels of stress hormones in crop-raiding male elephants. Animal Conservation. 14: 124-130.
- Alayande, K.A., Aiyegoro, O.A., Ateba, C.N. (2020). Probiotics in Animal Husbandry: Applicability and Associated Risk Factors. Sustainability. 12: 1087, doi:10.3390/su12031087
- Campos-Arceiz, A., Blake, S. (2011). Megagardeners of the forest- the role of elephants in seed dispersal. Acta Oecologica. 37: 542-553.
- Choudhury, A., Choudhury, L.D.K., Desai, A.A., Duckworth, J.W., Easa, P.S., Johnsingh, A.J.T., Fernando, P., Hedges, S., Gunawardena, M., Kurt, F. (2008). Elephas maximus. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2014. 3. www.iucnredlist.org
- CMS-COP-13. (2020). 13th Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention on Migratory Species held from 15-22 February 2020 at Gandhinagar, India. URL:https://europeansting. com/2020/02/24/ten-new-migratory-species-protected-under-global-wildlife-agreement. [Accessed on 4 April, 2020]
- Ganswindt, A., Heistermann, M., Hodges, J.K. (2005). Physical, physiological and behavioural correlates of musth in captive African elephants (Loxodonta africana). Physiological and biochemical zoology. 78: 505-514.
- Ganswindt, A., Palme, R., Heistermann, M., Borragan, S., Hodges, J.K. (2003). Noninvasive assessment of adrenocortical function in the male African elephant (Loxodonta africana) and its relation to musth. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 134: 156-166.
- Goymann, W. (2005). Non-invasive monitoring of hormones in bird droppings: physiological validation, sampling, extraction, sex differences and the influence of diet on hormone metabolite levels, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1046: 35-53.
- Hile, M.E., Hintz, H.F., Erb, H.N. (1997). Predicting body weight from body measurements in Asian Elephants (Elephas maximus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 28(4): 424-427.
- Hunt, K.E., Wasser, S.K. (2003). Effect of long-term preservation methods on faecal glucocorticoid concentration of grizzly bear and African elephant. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. 76: 918-928.
- Klasing, K.C. (2005). Potential impact of nutritional strategy on non-invasive measurements of hormones in birds. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1046: 5-16.
- Krüger, O. (2005). The role of ecotourism in conservation: panacea or Pandora’s box? International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation. 14(3): 579-600.
- Kumar, V., Pradheeps, M., Kokkiligadda, A., Niyogi, R., Umapathy, G. (2019). Non-Invasive Assessment of Physiological Stress in Captive Asian Elephants. Animals. 9: 553.
- Kumar, V., Reddy, V.P., Kokkiligadda, A., Shivaji, S., Umapathy, G. (2014). Non-invasive assessment of reproductive status and stress in captive Asian elephants in three south Indian zoos. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 201: 37-44.
- Lama, T.M. (2017). Botswana’s Elephant-Back Safari Industry Stress-Response in Working African Elephants and Analysis of their Post-Release Movements. Master’s Thesis Submitted to the University of Massachusetts Amherst, 515.
- Möstl, E., Palme, R. (2002). Hormones as indicators of stress. Domestic animal endocrinology. 31: 23(1): 67-74.
- Munro, C.J., Lasley, B.L. (1988). Non-radiometric methods for immunoassay of steroid hormones. Progress in clinical and biological research. 285: 289-329.
- Nishanth, B., Srinivasan, S.R., Jayathangaraj, M.G., Sridhar, R. (2013). Faecal Cortisol Levels in Elephants of Tamil nadu State. Indian Veterinary Journal. 90(2): 42-44.
- Santymire, R.M., Freeman, E.W., Lonsdorf, E.V., Heintz, M.R., Armstrong, D.M. (2012). Using ACTH challenges to validate techniques for adrenocortical activity analysis in various African wildlife species. International journal of animal and veterinary advances. 4(2): 99-108.
- Senthilkumar, A., Jayathangaraj, M.G., Valli, A., Thangavelu, A., Gomathinayagam, S., Sribalaji, N. (2017). Probiotics Supplementation on Nutrient Digestibility in Captive Asiatic Elephants (Elephas Maximus) of Tamil Nadu State in India. Research Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences. 5(4): 18-22.
- Swanson, C.A. (2002). Effects of Diet and Probiotic Supplementation on Stress during Weaning in Thoroughbred Foals. Master of Science Thesis submitted to the Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. 28.
- Teixeira, C.P., De Azevedo, C.S., Mendl, M., Cipreste, C.F., Young, R.J. (2007). Revisiting translocation and reintroduction programmes: the importance of considering stress. Animal Behaviour. 73(1): 1-3:1329-1341.
- Umapathy, G., Kumar, V., Wasimuddin, Kabra, M., Shivaji, S. (2013). Detection of pregnancy and fertility status in big cats using an enzyme immunoassay based on 5á-pregnan-3á-ol-20-one. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 180: 33-38.
- Uyeno, Y., Shigemori, S., Shimosato, T. (2015). Effect of Probiotics/Prebiotics on Cattle Health and Productivity. Microbes and Environments. 30(2): 126-132.
- Vijayakrishnan, S., Kumar, M.A., Umapathy, G., Kumar, V., Sinha, A. (2018). Physiological stress responses in wild Asian elephants Elephas maximus in a human-dominated landscape in the Western Ghats, southern India. General and Comparative Endocrinology.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2018.05.009
- Wasser, S.K., Hunt, K.E., Brown, J.L., Cooper, K., Crockett, C.M., Bechert, U., Millspaugh, J.J., Larson, S., Monfort, S.L. (2000). A generalized faecal glucocorticoid assay for use in a diverse array of nondomestic mammalian and avian species. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 120(3): 260-75.
- Wong, E.P., Yon, L., Purcell, R., Walker, S.L., Othman, N., Saaban, S., Campos-Arceiz, A. (2016). Concentration of faecal glucocorticoid metabolites in Asian elephant’s dung are stable for up to 8 h in a tropical environment. Conservation Physiology. 4(1): cow070, doi:10.1093/conphys/cow070
Submitted Date : 26-03-2020
Accepted Date : 12-08-2020